What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My youngest was helping me put some sound deadener in and look what arrived.

IMG_20210720_172114530.jpg

I'm not quite ready to put it in but I'm stoked that it's here.
Thanks @dnp

Got into some Louisiana mud. Very thick and heavy clay mud in NE Louisiana. There's a set of new Yokohama Geolanders wrapped in mud. Most of the road was elevated but still slick. This was one longer mud hole that I took too slow and the tires loaded up with mud and traction died a miserable death.

IMG_6580.JPG
IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6591.JPG
IMG_6592.JPG

The nearest seemingly usable winch anchor was muddy root ball of a downed tree. I decided it was worth a shot and wrapped a 30' strap around, tightened the winch line and the root ball rolled :lol:. Hit the winch more and the lined tightened and I was able winch to a higher, drier spot. I did have to unhook one loop of the strap and winch it on through the huge mud clod.

IMG_6587.JPG
IMG_6588.JPG

My youngest was helping me put some sound deadener in and look what arrived.

View attachment 2736677
I'm not quite ready to put it in but I'm stoked that it's here.
Thanks @dnp
Thanks again, and you're gonna love it! The transformation is incredible!

Kind of a quasi-weekend for me since I was out from work for a few days waiting for a covid test (boooooooo). Felt fine the whole time but my GF and her family were all positive and feeling run down for a few days. Anyhoo, I finally fixed the one busted mount for my fuel filler shield that would occasionally produce an annoying rattle. Nothing critical, but one annoyance fixed.

Drilled out the long ago broken bolt (off center. Go figure). Gawd I wish this mount could be removed from the body sheet metal.
Shield Mount 01.jpg

After several days of soaking with Mouse Milk, and even about a dozen heat/cool cycles with a tiny jeweler's torch (was careful to wrap the adjacent fuel lines with foil to act as a temporary heat shield) I tried a bolt extractor.

Crap.
Shield Mount 02.jpg

I managed to get the broken extractor out and tried a bit more of a gamble at potentially ruining the mount. I went up one drill bit size at a time until the remains of the bolt broke apart and were able to be cleaned away from the threads.

I'll be dipped; it worked. I cleaned the threads and it's back in business.
Shield Mount 03.jpg

Shield fully secured again after 15 or so years of annoying rattle. New stainless hardware and blue threadlocker to prevent future broken bolts and we're done.
Shield Mount 04.jpg

I agree!! To think, in its day it was deemed a luxurious SUV. Now luxury is a whole new level. However I wouldn't trade mine for a new one. I love the nostalgia and the simplicity.
So true. Soon after we bought our '84 FJ60 new in Las Vegas we were out wheeling in the desert and met up with a family in their FJ55 who invited us to a Southern Nevada Land Cruiser meeting. Back then the club held its meetings at Shakey's Pizza on Boulder Highway. They met in a room in the front of the restaurant with a big picture window. We just happened to park right in front of the window. Just before the meeting started someone asked "Who's driving the Cadillac?" So that became our CB handle, which we still use. We recently sold the FJ60 to a fellow worthy MUD member @mcguirejohnson, who will be driving it to the 5th annual Solid Axle Summit in Ouray, Colorado in early August. He chose a very appropriate name for the Land Cruiser - "Cadillac" :).

Cadillac.jpg

Fabbed a mount for two solenoids and the electrical connections for one to send power to an Anderson plug in the rear of the car via an in-cabin switch, and one to provide ACC or IGN power to the second bus on a Blue Sea fuse box. Fed power from aux battery to both solenoids using a diy copper tube bus bar. Loved how easy the copper was to work with.

22FE498F-9147-4A25-832A-E01838F750F8.jpeg

DB00EAE6-8A83-4398-A30C-B751D96679D8.jpeg

I have been mapping out as many Individual Replacement Parts and Modern Updates and Upgrades for the 8/80-9/87 FJ60 55A Alternator 27020-61071 & the Lesser

Known Remotely
Mounted Voltage Regulator Style set up unit's as well the 40A 27020-61100 & the 45A 27020-61130 w/ rear wiper option ....

I am indeed making Progress ......

7142713484435816968_1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom