What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bought it last saturday, lost the only key I had for about an hour this afternoon, that sucked, drove around to all the hardware stores to get spares made. Not one could make me a key (too old I guess, they don't carry the blanks/tooling). Had a Locksmith out to do it, and he was awesome, every key works just like a brand new oem key and he tested them all both ways up in 2-3 locks each... 5 keys $60... drove to my house, all 5 work like silk both sides up in every lock on the car...

Then I started to flush the radiator, ran it a while, and swapped out some knobs to pretty new ones, and stared at the AC clutch I need to replace tomorrow. :). and Going to try the Evaporust product to de rust the cooling system (it converts rust to a yellow power, but doesn't touch good steel like most de-rust products, worked great on my gas tank in my '80 Pickup.) as I'm pretty sure this thing sat for 10 years.. It's got 300 more miles today than it had in 2010 according to the Carfax.

82Fj60.jpeg

Your leaf springs are backwards. Not sure it truly matters since dimensions are the same but military wrap is *supposed* to go to the shackle end.
I told them that lol. called arb and they confirmed that the front are indeed equidistant. I just haven't taken the time to have the shop swap them around. Good eye lol

Bought it last saturday, lost the only key I had for about an hour this afternoon, that sucked, drove around to all the hardware stores to get spares made. Not one could make me a key (too old I guess, they don't carry the blanks/tooling). Had a Locksmith out to do it, and he was awesome, every key works just like a brand new oem key and he tested them all both ways up in 2-3 locks each... 5 keys $60... drove to my house, all 5 work like silk both sides up in every lock on the car...

Then I started to flush the radiator, ran it a while, and swapped out some knobs to pretty new ones, and stared at the AC clutch I need to replace tomorrow. :). and Going to try the Evaporust product to de rust the cooling system (it converts rust to a yellow power, but doesn't touch good steel like most de-rust products, worked great on my gas tank in my '80 Pickup.) as I'm pretty sure this thing sat for 10 years.. It's got 300 more miles today than it had in 2010 according to the Carfax.

View attachment 2420457
I too have a 1980 pickup. 20R and 4-speed. Great companion to a 60 series.

Your leaf springs are backwards. Not sure it truly matters since dimensions are the same but military wrap is *supposed* to go to the shackle end.
I was under my truck Saturday and noticed I put all of my springs on backwards 😅.
It's worked fine for 6 years, but now it bothers me. It's time for an add-a-leaf in the rears anyway so thanks for the motivation.

Rear diff leak...aka...rabbit hole. Now to scrape off the old gasket, clean up the gunk, get rid of rust, paint, clean nuts and washers, replace gasket, refill. My son is 12 and has already said he wants the 62 when he starts driving. This is a pretty good lesson For him in owning an old vehicle. Each regular maintenance task is bigger than you think it’s going to be.
EFF6B449-BB3A-478F-AC76-B2034FA7030A.jpeg

I told them that lol. called arb and they confirmed that the front are indeed equidistant. I just haven't taken the time to have the shop swap them around. Good eye lol

I was under my truck Saturday and noticed I put all of my springs on backwards 😅.
It's worked fine for 6 years, but now it bothers me. It's time for an add-a-leaf in the rears anyway so thanks for the motivation.

I'm sure there's a reason for the wrap to be on shackle side, but I haven't learned what it is. If anyone finds out, I'd love to know.

Rear diff leak...aka...rabbit hole. Now to scrape off the old gasket, clean up the gunk, get rid of rust, paint, clean nuts and washers, replace gasket, refill. My son is 12 and has already said he wants the 62 when he starts driving. This is a pretty good lesson For him in owning an old vehicle. Each regular maintenance task is bigger than you think it’s going to be.View attachment 2420925
so you are gettin' the boy to help you when working on it, right? if not, you well should be, especially after him voicing a lust for it already. just my 2cents

So once again the Cruiser gods have smiled upon me. Took over some threaded radiator oil cooler plugs I ordered from Amazon over to @Cincodemustache who is deep in the middle of a cooling system update. He, like me, is not using the oil cooler part of his new CSF radiator so wanted some plugs to keep debris out of it. I had ordered some treaded plugs that fit the CSF oil cooler holes sometime back and had a few left over so took him a pair (wait on ordering new was into October).

62015884653__75CAD88C-A0B6-4DE7-B7A4-9D197DE9B9FD.JPG

Dropped them off and while there was gifted a real live OEM air intake hose compete with hose clamp and mounting collar. My truck has never had one since I have owned it. Something that's on the list but just have not gotten to yet. Couldn't believe it. Just so cool. Little things but man so awesome. Many thanks @Cincodemustache!!

IMG_5729.jpg
IMG_5728.jpg

@kirvesmies Oh yeah, he’s been doing a lot this weekend. Changed the oil and lubed, plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Changed oil in both 100s. Had some daylight left so decided to jump on the rear diff too. You don’t think I’m gonna clean and paint this thing do ya? He was excited to use the air grinder.
88C7B8AC-8227-4932-96A9-EA82394B6B12.jpeg

Apparently, my wife took pics
95A95311-1494-4ADD-9FC5-361CA46F3F80.jpeg

Received and installed my cityracer led headlights. 5 mins my ass lol. Had to mount and ground the reverse polarity harness but overall pretty easy. Should make a big difference in the 5am commute to jobsite and Fridays Big Bend NP trip. I also recently installed the grill that i purchased from the new j Whitney. I had to make a couple of minor alterations and as you can see the T doesn't quite sit flush. But for 52ish shipped, I am happy with it.View attachment 2417198View attachment 2417199View attachment 2417200
Glad to hear that grill fits pretty decently, I've had one sitting in the closet for about a year waiting on a time in the distant future when I can start to focus on what my truck looks like. lol

I'm sure there's a reason for the wrap to be on shackle side, but I haven't learned what it is. If anyone finds out, I'd love to know.
The idea behind the military wrap is that you can run the spring into an obstacle and it will just slide up the curved face instead of smashing into the end of the leaf and bending or breaking it.

Had to change out the battery so I decided to finally order a stainless tray to replace the fairly rusty original. This is one of those things I wanted to do years ago but never got around to. These things are super nice. My only complaint is that the included hardware is stainless 13mm hex head which doesn't mach anything else on the truck. (super nitpicky and not at all a big deal) If I ever feel like going the extra mile and changing them out, (unlikely), I'll try to track down the proper size and length Toyota flange bolts.

With a fresh battery installed, I figured I might as well take it into work on Saturday. I definitely won't be going on any long trips until the new engine is in it though since the clutch barely has anything left at this point. Still really nice to drive it again and it was cool to show it off to a younger coworker that was interested in it.

This was also the first time driving it since installing the 70 series mirrors, and they are awesome! Only downside that I noticed was that they block a lot of the cool air when the windows are rolled down... definitely worth it for the increased visibility though!

IMG_20200828_194706.jpg
IMG_20200828_203704.jpg
IMG_20200829_162846.jpg

Swapped tires to BFG KM3 on my 70 series wheels and added a new 60” hi lift with a generic mount from AU. My old hi lift was terrifying and it was time to replace.

0EE40E70-1311-4365-BE2D-9E173A07B8A4.jpeg

CBE08283-F621-4F09-A36E-D6B97D3FC3DD.jpeg

1496BC74-7D83-4037-9B34-4F6873EEC4B1.jpeg

D3980E11-DBDD-4104-AB28-36376565279E.jpeg

19876B81-0D89-4CEF-9F07-D9286B1D7E89.jpeg

Looks awesome! I love the skinny tires, I need to find some ~31 x 9.50s for my next set.

These ended up being 32.6” tall, and they feel a little bit more narrow than my Toyos but I feel that is because the edge of the tread was a hard 90* on those, which made them look wider.

Did some mild trails around The Bighorn Mts.

182A250F-D273-493F-87DE-9F27ECF1DF12.jpeg

Took me two weekends but I swapped both diffs and did a knuckle job. Ran into a snag installing the rear axles that ended up requiring a BFH. Now I know that it’s time for a 5 speed transmission. :cool:

B476ACC1-045A-4696-96A1-36136C4E608C.jpeg

2B5C5E42-B491-49A5-B3AF-A6354893DDA9.jpeg

3794B9A2-CA61-4163-B1FF-66AF17CFA54C.jpeg

6C4D2454-E122-4D15-B996-4397A8E4A069.jpeg

86B2C77F-8678-4032-915D-730C8C475478.jpeg

Quick little job to eliminate a belt squeak/squeal. Upon engine deceleration the AC belt would slacken and touch the AC Idler as intended but the bearing was nearly locked up.

Popped the old bearing out, cleaned up with some Simple Green, and a $10 bearing (in stock at the local Grainger) we're good as new!

ezNxOQy.jpg

TDAoSdE.jpg

tUsR6ty.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom