What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent a week in Southern Colorado driving back roads and fly fishing.
I heard Colorado has been ravaged by the Mountain Pine Beetle. Your first picture looks like it was hit by it and not by wildfire. How was the fly fishing???

I heard Colorado has been ravaged by the Mountain Pine Beetle. Your first picture looks like it was hit by it and not by wildfire. How was the fly fishing???
Those beetles are killing all pines and that leads to wildfires. If we could get the temps to hold below zero for 3-4 weeks straight it would kill all of them off and hopefully the tides will turn. Till then they're just destroying everything.

Those beetles are killing all pines and that leads to wildfires. If we could get the temps to hold below zero for 3-4 weeks straight it would kill all of them off and hopefully the tides will turn. Till then they're just destroying everything.
We have some regions that have been killed off but have a pretty diverse amount of conifers in Oregon. They seem to really only like Lodgepole Pine here in Oregon. If there aren’t enough then Englemann Spruce. At least there are Aspen in Colorado.

Front axle baseline. Finished this weekend, started months ago. Took a while since I've only had a few hours a week to spend on it.
Started out as brakes, knuckles, and inspection. Ended up as a bare casting (should have just removed the whole thing, but you know...)
Ended up rebuilding everything including the 3rd (Thanks Larry), lots of new studs, bolts, brake lines, etc, etc, etc. Spent some quality time hunched over the bead blaster, and huffing spray paint. Only thing re-used besides castings were the axles since I couldn't find even one little thing wrong with them, and it's eventually getting a locker and new ones anyway down the road.

One item of note, it that one of the Aisin hubs had an incorrect pawl, likely from an earlier hub, that wouldn't allow full release in freewheel. A friend/co-worker had a correct spare (thanks again Larry).
It's back on 4 wheels, and had a nice little test drive today.

20180923_153249.jpg

Installed new shackles and pins. Thanks to cruiser Outfitters! Installed smog pump, timing cover, and brand new harmonic balancer. Reconnected all the coolant hoses and brackets. Installed a new fan clutch. Fixed the alternator back into its bracket and squared everything away with new belts. Still need to tension them and get everything else buttoned back up. New-ish battery going in tomorrow afternoon. New radiator also going in. Got some Shell Rotella and a few jugs of antifreeze. After that, gasoline, insurance, emissions, tags.... then on to brakes....

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

We have some regions that have been killed off but have a pretty diverse amount of conifers in Oregon. They seem to really only like Lodgepole Pine here in Oregon. If there aren’t enough then Englemann Spruce. At least there are Aspen in Colorado.
Not enough.... not enough.

Not enough.... not enough.
There is a system balance to the forest though. With more conifers killed the Aspen have less competition and will flourish leading to a moth or disease that kills them back allowing the conifers to return. On and on the cycle goes.

Oil change a tad later than I meant. About 200 miles since putting the truck back together. (New cam bearings 1-3 and con rod bearings all done in situ in my driveway.) Really inspected the oil basin and couldn’t see any bits of metal left over from the partially spun cam bearing #3.

Spent a bunch of time wasted trying to understand the use of a protractor to make 45s on a 180 mandrel bend 2.5” exhaust pipe. Emailed @cruisermatt and a local friend and both responded w/in an hour of each other and finally the lightbulb went on. Geometry was never a strong suit.

Cut a handful and got under the truck and started laying out the rear section of exhaust after the cheap Thrush Welded muffler I fixed in place temporarily. Amazing how much better a muffler makes the truck sound and run. Prior to I had lots of popping on decel and now almost none.

I want to dump the tailpipe behind the rear tire out the inside of the shackle. Lots of painters tape, a sharpie marker and I believe I found the path. It’s pretty similar to what was there other than ID and tailpipe exit.

Please tell me your opinions or experiences on this path before I tack weld. I’m thinking I’ll bring it to the local welder to finish it.

6A6F1244-29BB-4C7A-80D7-8C3EE447ADEB.jpeg

3FE3DF8E-4150-4DF7-B908-9AE2DE0EAF99.jpeg

192452F8-57A3-453D-9AD0-B8BB0CFB290F.jpeg

It’s too bad the Rio Grande River turns into a toilet once it hits the Mexican/ US boarder.

It's a problem in other border cities. The situation with Tijuana is a big deal. Much of the waters and beaches in the San Diego area (especially Coronado) are outright unsafe for swimming. Rather disgusting that our current and future SEALS must train in those waters at NAB Coronado. When we visit there we often stay on NAS North Island which has an awesome beach next to the Hotel Del (and the NAB BUDS training beach). We don't go into the water there. The other big water quality problem there is the large increase in seal/sea lion population. La Jolla cove has become disgusting due to this. Shark attack threat now much higher too. It's always something; humans and seals dumping, beetles and sharks chomping, fires raging. But Cruisers still rolling. ;)

Shark attack threat now much higher too.
At least it’s only a threat this far.... the cape just had its first fatality to shark since something like 1936. Too many seals as well. I always remember back in 2002 I was on the Cape w/ my daughter and a friend... at the beach near where I was actually born and he stupidly calls out from the water ‘are there sharks out here?!’ Then it was less a threat... in the last 15+ years it’s a regular occurrence every late summer.

There is a system balance to the forest though. With more conifers killed the Aspen have less competition and will flourish leading to a moth or disease that kills them back allowing the conifers to return. On and on the cycle goes.
A couple of summers ago those moths had really infested the aspens on Marshall Pass west of Salida, especially in the area we hiked beneath Devil's Armchair on the east slopes of Mt. Ouray.

Devil's Armchair.jpg

Here's a nice winter aerial shot:

Devil's Armchair - 2.jpg

More of a "What did you do this summer" but I moved down from 37s to 35s on 80 rims, 4:1 case gears w/ twinsticks (thanks georg!!) and finally built a 3" exhaust using mandrel bends. It's a lot more enjoyable to drive with the 35s and proper gearing... I miss the 37s for clearance though...

IMG_9269 (3).jpg

IMG_9274 (2).jpg

IMG_9256 (2).jpg

Yes, the bettle is killing a lot of pine in Colorado but it's not all bad news. The timber can still be harvested and is worthwhile lumber still. It is heavily impacting a lot of the forest.

Fishing was very good. Spent time on three different drainages including the Rio which is flowing well comparably to most other rivers in the region since they are draining the reservoir.

Felt like I needed a little more chrome in my life. So I found some nice 1980’s chrome to swap with my blacked out front grill and light surrounds.
8FEED164-6416-42D5-86C8-4FC43F0E0AB9.jpeg

I think it looks good either way, but the black just seemed to get lost in the 6v7 dark green paint job. The new old chrome front helps it out I think.
70164E42-C3AE-4902-BC4B-6887E8330EE9.jpeg

I even got some shiny new old snake blinders. Just need to clean them up, get some new clips and pop them on. Pics to follow when I get them restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom