What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm liking that table. Do you have any particulars on it?
IIRC @cosport has a buddy designing a kit for a GX table. I think it recesses into the door cubby/pocket (where the useless bungee net is)..

I think he posted in the what did you to your 120 thread a few months ago (edit: here)
(this reminds me to touch bases with him and see how they're coming along 👍)

Last edited:
On call this weekend and was busy but did make a little more progress on my drawers. Also my 5pc RCI Aluminum skid set, UCA skids and rear control arm mount skids came in. I'm still trying to source some UHMW sheet without spending 150-200 bucks on freakin shipping to attach to the skids as a sliding/ablative guard for the alu, yet still be lighter than the steel. The drawer box has developed a very annoying tweak in final assembly thats causing the left side of the bottom drawer to not close flush unless the back right corn is lift 1/4". Of course I glued it up since it was fine when it was assembled before staining and poly. I have all four latches and strikes installed and the stainless angle thats to reinforce the top edge above the floating drawers is cut and ready. Just need to stain the spacer and drill and counter sink the angle for screws. There is more to do as well. Depending on work load this week I should have it completed and in the GX this week. View attachment 2049615
Maybe you’ve addressed this elsewhere, but how are you securing this in the GX?

I used the Sylvania kit to clean my headlights and I added Bluetooth (already have aux in)
Before: I had used compound on the headlights, but they never got totally clear, and they stayed yellowish.
IMG_20190801_171328287_HDR.jpg

After:
IMG_20190806_083253717_HDR.jpg

Doing the Sylvania kit took a bit over an hour.
Mask off paint
Spray activator/ cleaner on lens then rinse
Wet Sand with 400, 1000, and 2000 grit
polishing compound
Spray activator again then rinse, dry and remove masking tape
Apply coating probably some sort of polyurethane) by using a folded lint free paper towel as a brush (not a great brush by the way.)
Let it dry
Got rid of the yellowing and hazing. Some of the crazing is still there but it is much less noticeable.

IMG_20190806_083358890.jpg

Then I added this bluetooth receiver/transmitter. Still working out the wiring, its actually battery powered so it doesnt need to stay plugged in via USB, but I didnt want to think about it so I just ran the cable. I ordered some parts to be able to keep the USB behind the dash/console. I will probably at some point route the aux cable back through the dash as well. At least until I get an aftermarket head unit.
Be careful on the specs of these bluetooth devices, many only support very basic audio codecs. This one supports APTX HD which is one of the better ones (at least for Android). The device also has forward/back/multifunction buttons so i can change tracks and answer the phone (built in mic).

Last edited:
Weather tech rain guards and floorliners.

A word of caution with "in the sill rainguards" The rainguards cause the pressure sensors to roll the windows back down half way when using auto.

IMG_20190807_173816686.jpg

IMG_20190807_173828291.jpg

Thank you. I will keep my eye out for your write up.
Here's a quick description:

The table is two pieces of cherry, jointed and glued. At the ends, I cut two 1" tenons that fit into a 1 1/4" mortise on the 3" wide endcaps. These breadboard ends keep it from warping and holds it flat. (Total table dimensions: 43" by 15" by 3/4" thick)

20190808_160902154_iOS.jpg

Once the table was built, I pulled the panel off the back door. I used a set of trim removal tools, but it's not really necessary. Just remember that, in addition to the perimeter pieces, there is a screw behind the strap in the cargo net (top panel in the picture below). Once you remove that, it's just muscling the panel off. Take the upper trim (around the window) off first. That makes it easier.

20190808_160752998_iOS.jpg

I measured up from the bottom of the door enough to clear the load floor and screwed in some basic cabinet hinges from Home Depot. Nothing fancy for the moment, but its enough to hold 30 lbs.

20190808_160718135_iOS.jpg

Once the hinges were mounted, I folded the table against the panel and marked and drilled holes for the support lines from where I wanted the lines to hit the table.

20190808_160728260_iOS.jpg

I then cut slots in the wood that were tight enough to hold the paracord on friction. I fed the paracord through the panel and melted the end to create a ball on the end. Using the friction in the slots, I could try out different lengths until the table folded open to where I wanted. I then just cut the end and melted that into a ball, also.

20190808_160707143_iOS.jpg

It's a simple design, but has been good enough to cook on, hold object in the back of my truck when I'm digging through looking for things, or for random trailhead repairs. When I close it up, I simply loop the top of the paracord line through the slots and the friction holds the table up. Not my finest woodworking, but it was a quick and dirty solution with scraps. My plan is to make some drawers to match.

However! When driving anything other than pavement, the paracord does slip and the table rattles like a mutha. I'm working on that. I am thinking I'll put a hasp on the table to let me lock it up when I'm doing anything more than commuting. Otherwise, the only change I'd make is to pull the panel again and put a bar on the frame of the door so that the hinges and paracord had something more solid to mount to. I would like to be able to put my 5 gallon water jug on there someday, but today is not that day.

However! When driving anything other than pavement, the paracord does slip and the table rattles like a mutha. I'm working on that. I am thinking I'll put a hasp on the table to let me lock it up when I'm doing anything more than commuting. Otherwise, the only change I'd make is to pull the panel again and put a bar on the frame of the door so that the hinges and paracord had something more solid to mount to. I would like to be able to put my 5 gallon water jug on there someday, but today is not that day.
try out some rubber t-handles! my buddy used them on his tundras tire swing table and they hold PERFECT with zero rattle.

try out some rubber t-handles! my buddy used them on his tundras tire swing table and they hold PERFECT with zero rattle.

I looked at those, and they would definitely solve the problem. However, (and this is kind of silly, I know) but I'm trying to stay within a certain aesthetic. The drawers I'm building will be Campaign style with all brass hardware. I'm going to have this table in all brass hardware, also, so I'm thinking a brass hasp would work well for that. I'm leaning into the Lexus persona versus my friends' 4Runners and Tacomas, so when we all show up somewhere and they're in old t-shirts drinking beer, I'm rolling up in a cable-knit sweater and mixing cocktails on my hardwood tailgate table. It's all for a laugh.

I installed an ipad2. Super complex build- using Velcro technology (yes the name brand stuff) stuck one side of a soft sided flip-case to the dash. When I need to access the MFD it flips up onto the dash, when I want the ipad stuff it flips down. Most of the time it's not even going to be there, and I may even rip off the velcro piece as I have extras. About the amount of time I wanted to spend on this mod, but got the results I was after.. have a trip on Monday going to try this out.

IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg

Today was a pretty long one but very successful. I recently bought my GX which came with a coolant leak. I thought it would be simple but it ended up being the water pump o-ring. This means the last timing belt that was done (15k mile ago) the person messed it up and it has been leaking since.

I would say overall, not that tough of a job but definitely a fair bit of work. At least know I know I shouldn’t have to be in there again until the next timing belt at 265k miles.

Also didn’t take many pictures cuz I was working on pulling and labeling parts while my buddy took the pictures. But I do have a few.

A pile of parts

57541E5A-08A9-45B0-9FD8-D53AE7DBAE24.jpeg

All torn apart

880CDE33-ADE9-4A26-83A9-D83FE0ED5446.jpeg

The discovery of the bad o-ring

EF2F1944-F528-4B9F-904A-0453E9843690.jpeg

Big ham installed with aprs and software so I can share location with other hammers. This pic was a shot from a friend in Colorado while I got groceries as a test lol

DF85FD36-A27F-4A65-BC2E-BC4C2CBC54ED.png

Big ham installed with aprs and software so I can share location with other hammers. This pic was a shot from a friend in Colorado while I got groceries as a test lol

View attachment 2055425
I'd take your URL, "where's Dan". 😆
I've got another HAM buddy's bookmarked. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Installed ARB skids. They are quite possibly the worst skid plates to install. A lot of the skid plate is unsupported where it could have easily been designed differently. I expected these to be light duty unlike the RCI skids on my Tacoma, but the way these are designed blows. Luckily my GX isn't going to be crawling any rocks, yet. So these will be okay for now.

IMG_20190811_153414.jpg

Weather tech rain guards and floorliners.

A word of caution with "in the sill rainguards" The rainguards cause the pressure sensors to roll the windows back down half way when using auto.

View attachment 2053025

View attachment 2053026
Go to each window and roll up the window holding the button in the up position. Once all the way up, count to 10 before you let go. The window regulator adjusts for the new pressure needed and will no longer auto roll back down for the rain guards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom