What Did You Do To Your Diesel Today (WDYDTYDT) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WDYDTYDT Haiku attempt;

I was thinking of changing my oil in my 79 Bj40
I have coolant shooting out above 45 mph
I live in California
the weather is nice
This...is beautiful 😻

🤣

F96E5D82-65B3-4E39-8FCA-99D693F8A4FA.jpeg

How about:

Her oil is so black
Coolant shoots out above 40
But the sun is out

Last edited:
I've had for a while now all the bits i need for the twinscroll he221w setup for my 13bt powered landrover, but procrastination has got the better of me.

Well I pulled my finger out and got started today. As I'd hoped it was relatively straight forward to join cylinders 1+4 in a nice manner. I didn't start on 2+3 as I'd need some more 45deg elbows. However I just now remembered that I did infact get more 45s that the steel shop had to order in for me, but I'd left them kicking about in the passenger footwell of my work ute and forgotten about them :rolleyes: It's too late now to continue, but it looks similarly easy to do 2+3.

My next step should probably be to see exactly how this will place the turbo anyway, as there's not much scope to alter this without starting from scratch. Engine bay space is limited on the series land rover so keeping the turbo tight to the engine is the go.

20210405_171815.jpg

finally got a 3 inch exhaust installed.

was a perfect fitment, with the safari turbo engine pipe. also got rid of the exhaust on the outside of the chassis rails, it now runs on the inside all the way until the back.

good piece of kit.

Wow didnt know this existed... how often should these be applied?
Yeah it's pretty cool. Toyota say use once every 2 years or 40,000kms but can be used as necessary to restore engine performance. 1 bottle treats 75L of fuel, for any tank bigger use 2 bottles.

Took Friday off work and headed out to a friends house to get started on the 2F to 1HZ swap this weekend. Finished preparing the last few things on the 1HZ on Friday afternoon, then pulled out the 2F on Saturday, and today we had the 1HZ set in the frame under its own weight and started hooking up accessories by late afternoon. Plenty left to do and a lot of miscellaneous parts that need to be ordered, and a few parts and bolts that were used for mock-up that need to be changed out. Super stoked on how quickly its coming together!

20210417_095809.jpg

20210417_233830.jpg

20210418_212044.jpg

20210418_212111.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you source the hz from? Possibly thinking of putting hz into my fzj instead of rebuilding it
Took Friday off work and headed out to my a friends house to get started on the 2F to 1HZ swap this weekend. Finished preparing the last few things on the 1HZ on Friday afternoon, then pulled out the 2F on Saturday, and today we had the 1HZ set in the frame under its own weight and started hooking up accessories by late afternoon. Plenty left to do and a lot of miscellaneous parts that need to be ordered, and a few parts and bolts that were used for mock-up that need to be changed out. Super stoked on how quickly its coming together!

View attachment 2649709
View attachment 2649708
View attachment 2649707
View attachment 2649706Where did you source the Hz from? Possibly Wanting to put a HZ into my FZJ instead of rebuilding

Got my new FTE head in.

EB855A6D-2110-4467-9680-609A91D38457.jpeg

I searched the globe for this and in the end a mate in Australia was able to get it for me.

Cheers

Last edited:
Did a bit more fab work on the twinscroll 13bt manifold. Most of the previous 'work' has involved drinking beer and staring at it. I cut up the previous version as it was going to put the turbo too far away from the engine. This time 1+4 are routed to the lower port.

I'm pretty confident this is as good as I can get for turbo placement so when I finish the last couple of bits of 1+4 I'll come up with a plan on the best sequence to cut it apart and fully weld it back up to be able to try and access all the joins internally with the die grinder.

20210515_174937~2.jpg
20210515_174928.jpg
20210515_175006.jpg

90 HDJ81 with a no start situation. Troubleshoot a bunch, pull starter - this bearing on armature has seen better days...

51183398327_41bda46096_b.jpg

Frozen solid.
51185157925_4fd5361999_b.jpg

Took to old school auto electric guy who fixed some commutator open connections, replaced bearings, new OEM contacts, plunger, brushes, drive clutch etc. Got back this

51184301203_528c5a4c36_b.jpg

Installed, held breath.... and still no start :bang:

Gnashing of teeth, more troubleshooting - long story short: Neutral Safety Switch.

Last weekend a buddy and I went out to pick up my 60 with the completed 1HZ swap, and the first task after driving out of the yard was to put it in low range and pull this 55 out of a culvert. My buddy had just bought it from my good friend Dominic who was the one doing all of the fabrication, wiring and finishing details on my conversion. It was a lot of fun hanging out on the weekends and getting this swap put together, and I certainly couldn't have done it in the same timeframe or to the same quality standard without his hard work and expertise.

I've been driving it all week and after the first 300 miles, there doesn't seem to be any major issues popping up. Only frustrating thing is that I hooked up the oil pressure sensor incorrectly and I believe I fried the gauge. :( ...but all in all, if that's all I have to complain about, I'd say this swap has gone pretty smoothly!

Only thing left to do now is source an A/C compressor pulley that matches the 1HZ belt spacing, and get some new lines made to mate an 80 series compressor to the 60 series fittings.

20210526_103612.jpg

IMG_20210526_103209.jpg

20210522_171943 (1).jpg

I also added a "Tiny Tach" tachometer the other day so that I would have something to reference from time to time. Was pretty happy to find out that it's backlighting matched the stock gauge lighting!

20210530_213311.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom