What Did You Do To Your Diesel Today (WDYDTYDT) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Hey all:

This section of MUD doesn’t have a thread where we talk about the mundane, the arcane, and the run-of-the-mill stuff we do to our diesels on a daily basis.

So I figured I would start the thread. Post up what you did to your Diesel engines today.

Tore down a 1HD-T today in preparation for rebuild. :)

3DFA0E1E-6448-4DB4-94EF-C8D31511C717.jpeg
72DC35AB-AFA5-4287-8D2E-4035D3BFE587.jpeg
AE0626AC-D511-4C86-99BE-5FD5C908285D.jpeg
631315FC-E6A0-42A7-A89E-25287189BE76.jpeg
1903F7D0-3D6C-4EBF-BA2B-72277556D795.jpeg

20210310_152847.jpg

Finished charging the batteries again for the 3rd time this year so I could go for a drive after doing front Ujoints. Coincidentally, I've only driven it 3 times this year.

Got a pair of Odysseys that are going in, but I'm in the progress of making some battery boxes first. Soon, it will look much nicer.

Oh, and by 3 times this year, I mean since January. I don't neglect the truck that much.

Last edited:
Test fit a 3rd manifold for turbo fitment on the Cummins - so close but my steering box shaft got in the way. So I gave up and bought the adapter that works on the factory manifold.

After consulting on parts needs with Don @Onur who is apparently neck deep in 1HDT rebuilds, I parked Ochenta, my HJD81 for an upcoming head gasket replacement (and some while you're in there stuff).

Then started prepping Righty, the BJ74 for an upcoming trip to Death Valley with @Dan2722 and @bushdoctor . I haven't driven the BJ74 much lately, so changing engine, diff, and tcase oils, adding a transmission temperature gauge, retorquing this and that, topping off fluids...should be ready to go.

DVPrep.jpeg

Thought about what kind of engine oil to put in my 1979 B engine 🧐. Any suggestions?
Oil, preferably clean. The B isn't smart enough to know any better. What temperature range is she running in?

On Sunday I got the new timing belt installed, set the IP timing, installed new injector lines, replaced the rod bearings, applied some assembly lube to the cam (this engine has been sitting in storage for a long time), then threw on the new valve cover and timing cover. I stopped short of putting the new oil pan on since I couldnt get to the rear main seal while its on the stand, i'll get those two things while its on the hoist. Also bolted up the new throttle linkage assembly (was missing when I got the engine), which was cool to piece together from individual part numbers.

Slowly making progress towards having this thing ready to drop into my 60.

20210314_211411.jpg
20210314_211334.jpg

Oil, preferably clean. The B isn't smart enough to know any better. What temperature range is she running in?
🤣 depends how fast I go. 0-45 sits right in the middle. 45-60 about 3/4 up the gauge and coolant starts shooting out. I’m in Southern California so air temp is pretty nice. 70-90 F all year long.

On Sunday I got the new timing belt installed, set the IP timing, installed new injector lines, replaced the rod bearings, applied some assembly lube to the cam (this engine has been sitting in storage for a long time), then threw on the new valve cover and timing cover. I stopped short of putting the new oil pan on since I couldnt get to the rear main seal while its on the stand, i'll get those two things while its on the hoist. Also bolted up the new throttle linkage assembly (was missing when I got the engine), which was cool to piece together from individual part numbers.

View attachment 2616196View attachment 2616197

Nice.

I did the throttle lever as well the other day.
032AA600-5787-4484-8A26-F9FA103168E0.jpeg
FDAE2AEE-473E-43A3-887C-E2E45B2F3E13.jpeg

🤣 depends how fast I go. 0-45 sits right in the middle. 45-60 about 3/4 up the gauge and coolant starts shooting out. I’m in Southern California so air temp is pretty nice. 70-90 F all year long.
Rightio, a decent mineral 15W40 then. Was referring to outside air temp rather than engine coolant temp. If you go somewhere cold, as in zero C or thereabouts you may want to go to something thinner but if you're in warmer temps year round, go for the 15W

View attachment 2616196View attachment 2616197
Wow that'd take me a month to do all that

Wow that'd take me a month to do all that
Its definitely a lot easier when its on an engine stand and not in a truck! I've been storing this at a friends property about two hours drive from where I live so I try to make each trip up there count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom