What did you do on your 70 series today? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4WD flashing light solution is not a solution so far...

after the conversion to manual hubs as many of us have noticed you get the flashing hub lock and 4WD flashing indicator light. never goes steady, always stays flashing.

the theory was to wire up a couple of 10W 50 Ohm Resistor's to trick the computer, 4 wheel drive control into thinking the hub lock motors were engaged? I think by adding some resistance? yea? nope :( Maybe it needs more bacon? 10W @ 50 Ohms is not enough bacon?

View attachment 3578726
I’m hoping for your success. I want to do the same to mine, as I’d love to disconnect the wiring to my hubs.

I’m hoping for your success. I want to do the same to mine, as I’d love to disconnect the wiring to my hubs.
I'm watching this closely. I converted and functionally everything works perfect. BUT, I do have the annoying flashing lights. Maybe OG Beno has the easiest solution. Just take the bulbs out of the dash and stop the flashing.

after the conversion to manual hubs as many of us have noticed you get the flashing hub lock and 4WD flashing indicator light. never goes steady, always stays flashing.

the theory was to wire up a couple of 10W 50 Ohm Resistor's to trick the computer, 4 wheel drive control into thinking the hub lock motors were engaged? I think by adding some resistance? yea? nope :( Maybe it needs more bacon? 10W @ 50 Ohms is not enough bacon?

View attachment 3578726
Different issue as I currently have no 4wd/hub lights. But did buy the 100W 50 Ohm Uxcell units. Haven't had a chance to do the work. But they should have more skin in the bacon game. Let you know.

I'm watching this closely. I converted and functionally everything works perfect. BUT, I do have the annoying flashing lights. Maybe OG Beno has the easiest solution. Just take the bulbs out of the dash and stop the flashing.
Put in 4wd then drove over my phone and into garage while it was taking video to be absolutely sure the front DL was spinning. Dummies need dummy lights.

Different issue as I currently have no 4wd/hub lights. But did buy the 100W 50 Ohm Uxcell units. Haven't had a chance to do the work. But they should have more skin in the bacon game. Let you know.
Bummer on the phone man. What issue are you out to solve with the resistor if no light?

Sean

Bummer on the phone man. What issue are you out to solve with the resistor if no light?

Sean
Ha. Phone is fine. Just used it to get video of the drivetrain. I worded that weird. My bad.

I'd like a dummy light... and to have that wiring tucked safely into the engine bay. That said it's pretty low on the priority list for me rn.

long term update, had the LJ78 for a year now, updates so far.
-Never had 4WD, instantly blames the power hubs so replaced them with Aisin manual hubs with spacers from RADD Cruisers. I discovered the little gear which drives the power hub was missing on both sides :mad: sabotage! the 4WD light on dash wasn't always working but I confirmed transfer case was working by leaving the bubs unlocked and trying to spin the front drive shaft, must be a sticky switch. I don't think 4wd's been used ever.
Deleted EGR system, butterfly valves, really woke up the 2LTE at low speeds.
Replaced most of the dash lights with an LED equivalent,
Replaced headlights with Hella e code H4 housings and installed LED bulbs off amazon AMAZING difference! I have found that Fahren makes good quality led bulbs. No issues with blinding other drivers and I like the stock look.
Replaced front turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs as the new headlights wash out the stock bulbs, the bulbs I chose have a built in resistor so no extra wiring is needed and they really brighten up the signal, you can see their reflection on the road at night.
Did a road trip from Victoria to the Okanagan last summer, I avoided the Coquihalla highway and took HWY 3 instead. I still had some big hills to climb and the Cruiser got a little warm on the climbs, I have a habit of not going past half throttle so I ended up following transport trucks up the hills, shifting out of overdrive, and then into 2nd gear so I was going real slow lol. Also on the downhills the engine would cool off within a couple of minutes, I have a larger radiator so i was leaning towards not enough air flow, I've never heard the fan engage. I just installed the 8 blade fan off the 2H diesel part# 16361-68010 as well as the Aisin clutch FCT-004. everything fit perfectly within the stock fan shroud with about 3/4 inch clearance from fan tip to shroud at the top. I may replace the silicone with something thicker at some point but I want to see how it performs as is. The big radiator sure helps.

Things to do.
Bought an SAAS A pillar gauge pod setup for the 70 series with an Auto Meter Pyrometer and boost gauges, I've colour matched to the Interior and will install in the spring. It was the most expensive piece of plastic I've ever bought but just for the fit and finish I feel it's worth it.

Wanders all over the highway as well so I need to diagnose that. installed a new steering stabilizer and had the alignment checked. It has a 2.5" JDM lift kit so could be issues there? I also want bigger tires, the stock size with the lift looks a bit silly.

Wanders all over the highway as well so I need to diagnose that. installed a new steering stabilizer and had the alignment checked. It has a 2.5" JDM lift kit so could be issues there? I also want bigger tires, the stock size with the lift looks a bit silly.

Check your caster, it's probably off due to the lift.

long term update, had the LJ78 for a year now, updates so far.
-Never had 4WD, instantly blames the power hubs so replaced them with Aisin manual hubs with spacers from RADD Cruisers. I discovered the little gear which drives the power hub was missing on both sides :mad: sabotage! the 4WD light on dash wasn't always working but I confirmed transfer case was working by leaving the bubs unlocked and trying to spin the front drive shaft, must be a sticky switch. I don't think 4wd's been used ever.
Deleted EGR system, butterfly valves, really woke up the 2LTE at low speeds.
Replaced most of the dash lights with an LED equivalent,
Replaced headlights with Hella e code H4 housings and installed LED bulbs off amazon AMAZING difference! I have found that Fahren makes good quality led bulbs. No issues with blinding other drivers and I like the stock look.
Replaced front turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs as the new headlights wash out the stock bulbs, the bulbs I chose have a built in resistor so no extra wiring is needed and they really brighten up the signal, you can see their reflection on the road at night.
Did a road trip from Victoria to the Okanagan last summer, I avoided the Coquihalla highway and took HWY 3 instead. I still had some big hills to climb and the Cruiser got a little warm on the climbs, I have a habit of not going past half throttle so I ended up following transport trucks up the hills, shifting out of overdrive, and then into 2nd gear so I was going real slow lol. Also on the downhills the engine would cool off within a couple of minutes, I have a larger radiator so i was leaning towards not enough air flow, I've never heard the fan engage. I just installed the 8 blade fan off the 2H diesel part# 16361-68010 as well as the Aisin clutch FCT-004. everything fit perfectly within the stock fan shroud with about 3/4 inch clearance from fan tip to shroud at the top. I may replace the silicone with something thicker at some point but I want to see how it performs as is. The big radiator sure helps.

Things to do.
Bought an SAAS A pillar gauge pod setup for the 70 series with an Auto Meter Pyrometer and boost gauges, I've colour matched to the Interior and will install in the spring. It was the most expensive piece of plastic I've ever bought but just for the fit and finish I feel it's worth it.

The coq is for sure a big obstacle. My 1hz did it last year in both directions. Patience was needed...

You may find your EGT's are higher than you expect when you put the gauge in. Keeping the revs up will bring them down in a hurry and may help your overall water temp too... sounds like some good upgrades so far! But worthless without pics! ;)

View attachment 3578726
Following this…..

I'm not a shutter bug but I get the point. I'll take pics and post but here's a couple I took
Old Fan vs new, not a good picture but fits right in, E-Bay purchase out of Australia $110 CDN to my door. I'll take pics of new fan installed. so far when 4WD light works it doesn't blink, I did leave the wiring hooked up but it's still an open circuit.... so it should be blinking? I have been looking at castor correction solutions.
LJ78 cooling fan.jpg

Hope slide last summer. was loaded to the roof with camping gear.
LJ78 hope slide.jpg

caster shims and new tie rod ends helped alot on my truck
i believe there are caster bushings if you have radius arms

A buddy of mine bought a new Defender today. I maybe should've washed mine?

PXL_20240316_201118830.jpg
PXL_20240316_200954144.jpg

He got the inline 6 hybrid assisted turbo engine, which has a little more oomph than my n/a inline 6. I'm sure it's because of the altitude. It also has a few more creature comforts than mine does. Despite that fact, I was more "comfortable" in mine.

Installed new hinges on my large rear door and new courtesy light switches. No more lifting the door to close it and my dome lights shut off when I shut the door.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine bought a new Defender today. I maybe should've washed mine?

View attachment 3583603View attachment 3583605
He got the inline 6 hybrid assisted turbo engine, which has a little more oomph than my n/a inline 6. I'm sure it's because of the altitude. It also has a few more creature comforts than mine does. Despite that fact, I was more "comfortable" in mine.
How clean does your Cruiser need to be to tow him back into town?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom