What did you do on your 70 series today? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i know but i wanted to clean behind the cover. I can't get my hands behind it to unclip anything.
There are a couple of metal clips that hold the speedometer cable to the firewall near the steering column, if you remove the cable from those clips you should be able to get enough slack in the cable to pull the gauge cluster out and get your hand behind it to detach the cable.

There are a couple of metal clips that hold the speedometer cable to the firewall near the steering column, if you remove the cable from those clips you should be able to get enough slack in the cable to pull the gauge cluster out and get your hand behind it to detach the cable.
the answer i was looking for, thanks. Although i see no clips there, the cable is tight through the firewall. I'll have to look underneath.

Tried switching the heat on and the lever got tight and I lost all dashboard lights. Spent an hour reorganizing the wiring so that it cleared the heater controls and I've got working heat now. Still need to track down the illumination issue though. I'll check fuses today after work, really hoping it's just a fuse.

Had some paint correction and detailing done. Pretty surprised at the final result. I don’t think I can keep it this clean.

8D537368-07DB-4105-80E0-F02B88E3F32D.jpeg

7ABFFE92-77AE-43C9-AE9B-C7F4BD2B07F1.jpeg

oh snap....mines a comin

Been a bit slack on Cruiser things this last month. Found it's best for my mental health to space out large, awful jobs (i.e. rust repairs) with small easy wins, like electrics. One of the rivets in the contacts for my dome light cracked, rendering it non-functional. Drilled out and replaced with an M3 bolt. If it only lasts another 40 years, I'll call the fix a success! Changed for an LED while I was at it to fight the gloom.
1695382672598.png

Spy how badly my headliner needs a clean...

Also had a swing at fixing my rear demister lines with a conductive paint kit. Turns out the stuff is rubbish, appears to barely conduct according to my very good Fluke multimeter. Open to suggestions as to what I was doing wrong, or other repair methods.
1695382747073.png

Driver seat would move on quick left turns. Apparently the previous owner messed up the bolt that holds the seat to floor and flattened some of the threads. Momentarily fixed it with some washers to take up the extra space to avoid those top threads.
IMG_3475.jpeg

Attempted to fix our rear window rattle. The two hinges are tight to the body, so we tracked the rattle down to the cap on the outside of the window. It’s the one circled in red below. Does anyone know how that attaches? I can’t seem to spin it and I’m hesitant to try prying it off. I’d like to tighten the bolt beneath it.
IMG_3476.jpeg

Hello,

Another year of ownership of Chance, my 73 Series. I have become the PO, I presume.

I celebrated taking a friend to a field inspection and driving around country roads while she got her job done.

2023_1_9_1401.jpg

I remembered how much I like country roads.

Juan

I should have purchased these a long time ago! Game changer in driving comfort and a cup holder finally!
IMG_9562.jpeg
IMG_9565.jpeg

IMG_9564.jpeg

Nice little drive into town. Weather was perfect.

View attachment 3416647

Hi Ben, are they orange LEDs in your dashboard? Since I’ve tinted my windows I’m struggling to see my gauges but don’t want cool white.

Started a small internal alteration today. I’ll have to modify the sub I made and move the fire extinguisher. This is stage 1, I’m going to make a custom console to run in front of it, around the gear sticks and run up under the dash to take the uhf, cup holders and some gauges/switches.

IMG_5403.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

IMG_5406.jpeg

Hi Ben, are they orange LEDs in your dashboard? Since I’ve tinted my windows I’m struggling to see my gauges but don’t want cool white.

Started a small internal alteration today. I’ll have to modify the sub I made and move the fire extinguisher. This is stage 1, I’m going to make a custom console to run in front of it, around the gear sticks and run up under the dash to take the uhf, cup holders and some gauges/switches.

View attachment 3438784

View attachment 3438785
What fridge is this that is being used as your center console?

@Owyhee Jackass your picture confused me until I figured out you have a BOB trailer on your rack. What bike rack do you use? I'm thinking of going that way instead of my KUAT that sticks out pretty far in back.
Sorry for the late reply, missed your question, it's a copy of a Velocirax that I built last year. Still a work-in-progress, I had to add some bracing to the hoops as the hollow 1/2" tubing bent a bit, and it flexes a bit (bike bounce) on rough roads, but I think that's due to the swing-out twisting and not the rack itself flexing.

My BJ73 is parked back in Germany while I'm exploring the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia 🇬🇪. 5000km rampup trip would have been a bit too much for our time budget, so we are in a 4x4 rented locally. (Unfortunately no Landcruiser for rent).
Gorgeous scenery here
20230923_115745.jpg

And nice offroad tracks, too. We are in Mestia right now.
20230922_172130.jpg

Went up to Koruldi lakes (2750m).

20230923_152207.jpg

20230924_113615.jpg

20230924_134942.jpg

This last weekend was the first time I had ever loaned my truck out for someone else to drive. It was kinda cool seeing someone else put it through the paces. 😊
IMG_4947.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom