What did you do on your 70 series today? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was actually kinda surprised at the finish (interior and exterior) of the 2023 VDJ 70 series I saw. It was far from luxurious and was missing a lot of "garnish, as toyota puts it" items that I have on the HZJ77. I mean it was still Toyota quality but it was like they built it knowing it was not intended for civilian use at all.
sounds great

not every crime is 'wrong' though.....
some are even virtuous

Got a 12/24/120 v 60qt refrigerator cooler on prime day. I will use this truck camping with the bj73. A little testing today with the old 24v AGM battery from my son's electric ride on UTV toy. It's been running the cooler over 9 hours now. ..... So for the LC plug into cigarette lighter during the day with it set to 0 F make sure to start and run the vehicle every 4 hours or so. A at night hook it to the agm bat. And set to 40 F to run while you sleep.

IMG20230721225001.jpg

Got all parts to begin replacement of Timing belt, pulley,/tensioner. cam oil seal, water pump, wp studs, thermostat and belts ttomorrow.......2 gals of red should mix up to 4 gls of antifreeze......that should be enough for a complete flush eh?

Got a 12/24/120 v 60qt refrigerator cooler on prime day. I will use this truck camping with the bj73. A little testing today with the old 24v AGM battery from my son's electric ride on UTV toy. It's been running the cooler over 9 hours now. ..... So for the LC plug into cigarette lighter during the day with it set to 0 F make sure to start and run the vehicle every 4 hours or so. A at night hook it to the agm bat. And set to 40 F to run while you sleep.
Not sure how much current that draws, but my experience with the cig. lighter on our 80 and our fridge, the factory 12 plug can't handle the current draw for too long and the circuit trips and resets and the fridge can't keep up. I added a blue sea 12v plug wired directly to our aux. battery.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to more scenery like yours and less like mine below.

New Penis Pump, camshaft seal, timing belt, pulley, tensioner today

Its really a stupid easy job....easiest TB I've ever done.

Gonna do the thermostat in the am, check valve clearances, drain/fill power steering while I'm in there......then button it up and cross fingers.

Timing1.jpeg
Timing2.jpeg
Timing3.jpeg

Tech tip on 1HZ for install of alternator/wp belts.....seat them on/in the alternator and crank belt grooves then pull up over the top of the WP pulley groove

DONT try to pull it onto the alternator pulley after lining up the other two.....not enough leverage or room to work.....you'll just cause yourself frustration

Last edited:
Tech tip on 1HZ for install of alternator/wp belts.....seat them on/in the alternator and crank belt grooves then pull up over the top of the WP pulley groove

DONT try to pull it onto the alternator pulley after lining up the other two.....not enough leverage or room to work.....you'll just cause yourself frustration
But with a lhd you just pull them on the alt as there is plenty of space ;)

Filmed and did install for the Dobinsons "Safari" bumper on my allegedly unfit for this bumper KZJ78 Prado... looks pretttttttttttttty damn hawt to me and more importantly looks very capable of being installed!

View attachment 3382483
View attachment 3382485

did the rear as well..
View attachment 3382486

Who makes the rear bumper?

In the photo it looks like it doesnt follow the lines of the body as it wraps around and extends forward towards the wheel well

Is that just a photo issue or is it made that way?

Who makes the rear bumper?

In the photo it looks like it doesnt follow the lines of the body as it wraps around and extends forward towards the wheel well

Is that just a photo issue or is it made that way?

It's a Dobinson's rear bumper. It follows the lines along the bottom of the quarter panel, but the top extends slightly up and further forward from the bottom. I have one on my troopy... it's an ok rear bar, but I wish I had held out for the superior Kaymar.

Maybe these photos give you a better perspective and how it mounts in relation to the body. I have a double jerry can swing out for the LH side that I remove when not traveling.

GAK 01.jpg

GAK 04.jpg

View attachment 3380125
So the 24V AGM mostly worn out kids ride on will run the cooler/fridge overnight no problem. To further test I plugged a 4 year old large marine deep cycle battery I normally use for the trolling motor on the jon boat. It's been running the cooler for 2.5 days at 33 degrees F and still going...............There's several points to this testing. 1. These newer refrigerator/coolers really don't use much power. 2. You don't need to worry much about how you will power your camping fridge. Just keep it plugged into it's own battery and start the truck once or twice a day to recharge it. 3. Off grid cabins and fishing shacks are much easier than previously thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom