What did you do on your 70 series today? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally finding time to work on my “overlanding” rig. 😁View attachment 3127317
Full.jpg

After a month long wait, I have some fitted all weather mats for my truck. Quality is top notch, I'd venture to say a bit better than my Weathertechs. These are from Aliesxpress. Unfortunately I won't be able to see how well they fit until I'm back in the desert in November.

20220929_194453.jpg

Real interested in how they fit, I really like the weathertechs in my Tacoma and would love to get a set for the Troopy

Finally finding time to work on my “overlanding” rig. 😁View attachment 3127317
Brilliant engineering with the toilet sideways but at a slight angle with the elongated bowl, less likely to slosh out on braking and that vigourous LC acceleration. No concern with the high G's in the turns. Fuel cans right next to the bowl so you can flush with diesel or mogass and immediately burn it so it doesn't seep in to the water table.

Not having much luck with lights on my HZJ77 lately. First my OEM center brake light is giving me issues but I think I have that squared away and working now but now one of the LED combination lights completely went out on the kaymar bar. It took a lot of web searching to see who their supplier of LED lights are, but I finally find out who it was and ordered a replacement unit from Australia.

Once all of this is fixed, then I can pass my Texas state inspection.

There is no replacement, ever, for new OEM Toyota parts.

They are in a level so far beyond any other auto manufacturer.
A passed away friend of mine use to work at an automotive small parts testing facility. He noted when function duration testing on wiper motors from different manufacturers the toyota wiper motor lasted 3x longer than any of the others. He was impressed that if that is what toyota does just for wiper motors, that the rest of the components should be pretty good.

But just last week another friend received as a gift the brand new rav4 from the factory as a family member has a dealership. It is a hybrid, as I believe toyota does not believe that the tech for full ev is available yet , batteries. The rav4 claims 4.5l per 100km. I couldn't help be a bit sceptical when we went for a drive. Her older rav4 seemed more robust and stronger, certainly more plastic on the new one.

I am also disappointed how the newer hilux got busted for exhaust emission scam.

But then, it would be very difficult to keep up with modern manufacturing demands and illusions.

Personally, I believe the pinnacle of manufacturing integrity was in the 80's until the mid 90's.

Another intersting point is mitsubishi use to make the wwii 'zero' aeroplane, guess they did not worry about longevity!

A passed away friend of mine use to work at an automotive small parts testing facility. He noted when function duration testing on wiper motors from different manufacturers the toyota wiper motor lasted 3x longer than any of the others. He was impressed that if that is what toyota does just for wiper motors, that the rest of the components should be pretty good.

But just last week another friend received as a gift the brand new rav4 from the factory as a family member has a dealership. It is a hybrid, as I believe toyota does not believe that the tech for full ev is available yet , batteries. The rav4 claims 4.5l per 100km. I couldn't help be a bit sceptical when we went for a drive. Her older rav4 seemed more robust and stronger, certainly more plastic on the new one.

I am also disappointed how the newer hilux got busted for exhaust emission scam.

But then, it would be very difficult to keep up with modern manufacturing demands and illusions.

Personally, I believe the pinnacle of manufacturing integrity was in the 80's until the mid 90's.

Another intersting point is mitsubishi use to make the wwii 'zero' aeroplane, guess they did not worry about longevity!
If you go to a "you pull it" junkyard to look for parts it is very hard to find any toyota trucks to salvage from. Every taxi in Japan is a Toyota. Every taxi in Thailand is a Toyota. Every Taxi in Singapore is a Toyota...There is a reason for this.

After a month long wait, I have some fitted all weather mats for my truck. Quality is top notch, I'd venture to say a bit better than my Weathertechs. These are from Aliesxpress. Unfortunately I won't be able to see how well they fit until I'm back in the desert in November.

View attachment 3127759
IMO they fit great and are very heavy-duty: J7 LHD OEM or OEM-like floor mats not existent? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/j7-lhd-oem-or-oem-like-floor-mats-not-existent.1243327/post-14260409

Drove 430 miles across Texas to the Davis Mountains, took a couple of glamour shots.

497FE5F8-65EE-43D5-9D84-F05E9643FC7B.jpeg
4539D321-B056-4048-A6DB-39ED4217469F.jpeg
8CFC64DD-0AE9-4A60-9AB3-7B2C02461B3A.jpeg

PS this truck has a 1HDT and a G turbo…and an r151. It handles everything easily. Let’s see how it fares in the long term but the transmission is the smoothest Toyota transmission I have ever felt.

View attachment 3127759
I just ordered a pair as well. 😊
My main issue with the rubber ones is how little of the floor they actually cover and yes I realize that in the grand scheme of things it’s a very insignificant issue. Mud or sand always seems to collect under my right foot. 😊
3C03F6AA-3F8F-4ED3-81F0-81A55C06BA14.jpeg

Been a while! I've been down in GSE/Capitol Reef. Attempted a few of the Henry Mountain traverse roads. Bad idea. While 70% were good to go, 30% was horrible mud. We've hit this stuff before, mostly off the Burr Trail and down closer to the Dirty Devil, but the road looked fine until the Troopy was sliding sideways down a 10' wide bench-cut road. I put it in a ditch, aired down more (from 25psi to 15), locked it, and floored it out to dry safety... the muddy stretch behind me in one of these photos was the easy mud. The bench road was at least 16" deep. The crazy thing is we usually come out here during runoff/snow melt and have never seen it this muddy. The last time I drove this road was during a monsoon, and it was passable. The desert is parched.

UtahFall2022-16.jpg

UtahFall2022-15.jpg

UtahFall2022-14.jpg

UtahFall2022-23.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom