What did you do on your 70 series today? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would love one of these early North American market Toyota trucks. Love the 1979 with the round headlights.
Agreed. I drove an 1981 in High School and think it would be fun to have one again. Maybe its just nostalgia though, I remember them being pretty short on legroom. Fun to drive though.

Installed an electronic transmission park brake, mainly due to the factory setup no longer working very well after doing a rear coil conversion which puts the cable off to the LHS rear wheel and makes it a pain to set up

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

Put the 74 battery on the trickle charger and the 77 in the back shop cue for an oil change. Real exciting around here :D

-I fought with 'adjusting' all my existing 2.5" exhaust to suit the new turbo downpipe location..... I won eventually, despite my best efforts otherwise.
-heat wrapped the downpipe and put a turbo blanket on
-Finishing hooking up the air to water intercooler pump and connections
-disassembling the intake tract to paint brackets and clean the interior of the pipe for start-up
-running blow off valve sense line to vacuum source on the intake side

2 questions though.......
-oil pump prime, does one need to overfill the oil to ensure oil pump prime after having it apart for so long
-do you need to ground your air to water intercooler to combat electrolysis, wouldnt the bolts do the grounding? if so why bother rubber mounting it

proof...

IMG_20220918_102236[1].jpg

Those would be the JAOS Tribe wheels. See also @JDMBC

Those are nice looking wheels, but 5 lug. Nomad has a similar nice wheel with 6 lugs, a number of rim diameter sand widths, but I don't think they currently offer the correct offset/backspace for 70 series

Agreed. I drove an 1981 in High School and think it would be fun to have one again. Maybe its just nostalgia though, I remember them being pretty short on legroom. Fun to drive though.
My HS/ Collage truck was a 1998 regular cab tacoma 4x4. I still had it until a year ago. I would love to have another. I would actually like to drop a 1kzte in a regular cab 1996 - 2004 tacoma. A hurricane flooded mine to just about the middle of the windshield and then (just like the Toyota truck on top gear) it started and shot like a million gallons of salt water out of the muffler. I ended up changing all the fluids, starter and alternator then I drove it for another year before the frame finally gave out in multiple places. Then I decided to scrap it.

@SHREDwagon - Are you in AB?
Yes
What wheels are those? Specks?
Wheels are forged JAOS Tribe 16x7.5”. Offset works with the 255’s and no flares, but still wider than stock (meant for 285’s). Jaos also make 6.5” width for stock offset and 8” width for 35’s and flares. This is an ‘02 - so 5 Lug.

Got the FT drivetrain into the 79 project, hope it stays there for good!

61A6A3E5-1022-462E-BC58-DE213A9CD176.jpeg
92551F99-9113-47FC-A8B6-87FB33AC1363.jpeg
2FB8F3E8-48B7-4144-94A2-A0E5947FCDFB.jpeg

I did a nice because-of-sunny-weather drive. Pretty fun.
But on turns I noted a slight knock in the steering... Checked and found the relay-rod-end on the pitman arm has play.
That one was adjusted only 1200km ago (due to play) . Need to check the other end, still. But that was adjusted only 800km ago (also due to play).
All fix ball joints on tie-rod ends and steering bumper do have no issues, only those adjustable ones on the relay-rod show play.
All tie-rod - and relay-rod-ends were replaced for new 10.000km ago (Febr. 2021), using OEM parts, and were regularly greased.
Is that normal wear?? Opinions appreciated.
Cheers Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom