What did you do on your 70 series today? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I confirm the source of my excess engine vibration today. Rubber mount on back of transmission to crossmember is separated. This would also explain the occasional fan blade colliding with fan shroud during body twisting at windrock. I bought a pair of inexpensive fluid filled motor mounts to try to replace the rubber on this one but they are 2 in too thick.......... Does anyone know of a place that has one of these in US stock? Kind of want to do The relic run next week but don't want to do it with a separated mount and there's not enough time to get one from partsouq

Rear Transmission / Motor Mount - Fits HJ6x/7x w/ Manual Transmission (EGM68041R) - https://cruiserteq.com/rear-transmission-motor-mount-fits-hj6x-7x-w-manual-transmission-egm68041r/ Cruiser Outfitters is showing one in stock for a 7X series. I would give them a call to confirm.

All the parts to rebuild the knuckles on my 70 came in today. Now I just have to find time.

Went to my local airport and ran into a fellow LC lover...I didn't realize the size difference until I parked next to her. Jeeze!

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4095.jpg

After replacing several oem ps pumps I finally installed a PSC pump on the 73 . I used a ac bracket that I modified and installed the large psc reservoir also and a catch can while I was under the hood anyways.
3E6A983F-28BE-4A72-9143-B42DF0674FC3.jpeg
DFA4F5CF-9567-4018-8257-CD4352697744.jpeg

Went to my local airport and ran into a fellow LC lover...I didn't realize the size difference until I parked next to her. Jeeze!

View attachment 2967972

View attachment 2967973
The 70-series is really much smaller than it looks. I recently watched an Australian review of a brand new 76-series wagon and got a kick out of the presenter talking about how big it was and how much cargo room it had. Pretty much every SUV on the road here in the US dwarfs one, even newer 4Runners are massive in comparison.

After replacing several oem ps pumps I finally installed a PSC pump on the 73 . I used a ac bracket that I modified and installed the large psc reservoir also and a catch can while I was under the hood anyways.View attachment 2968003View attachment 2968004
I got the same catch can on my Prado, except that mine doesn't have the filter on top. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the machining given the sub-$30 price. The only issue I've had with mine is that it tends to freeze up and pressurize the crankcase in cold temperatures, usually below 5ºF.

I got the same catch can on my Prado, except that mine doesn't have the filter on top. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the machining given the sub-$30 price. The only issue I've had with mine is that it tends to freeze up and pressurize the crankcase in cold temperatures, usually below 5ºF.
Put a slit in the hose at the highest point, about an inch long, then when the catch can freezes the pressure can escape from the slit

The 70-series is really much smaller than it looks. I recently watched an Australian review of a brand new 76-series wagon and got a kick out of the presenter talking about how big it was and how much cargo room it had. Pretty much every SUV on the road here in the US dwarfs one, even newer 4Runners are massive in comparison.
Americans have gotten so big and so many obese over the last 30 years or so. Many big people simply aren't comfortable in the size vehicles that were popular in the 1980's. Vehicles designed for the US market just keep getting bigger. In the US in order to have success a SUV must carry 4 X 200+lb individual and all their luggage etc. at 80+mph on the highway comfortably. That's a tall order for the LC designed for the rest of the world that doesn't have the big people and high speed roads.

Noticed my birf on the passenger side was leaking pretty bad on the way back from a trip last weekend. Went online to Cruiser outfitters and they got me squared away with a kit for my kzj78. Love the graphics on the Sumo gear box the kit comes in haha. lucky the kit came Friday so looks like I have a this evening/sunday morning project! Thanks Kurt! you guys are awesome!

Reverted to bygone MGB days and used heated asphalt roof cement to seal joint between inner wheel well and wing.
fender well (17).JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

Reverted to bygone MGB days and used heated asphalt roof cement to seal joint between inner wheel well and wing.
View attachment 2969834

View attachment 2969835

View attachment 2969836
I've had good luck with that before . Rust converter first then follow up with Roof cement. I used to thin it with mineral spirits and spray it from a garden sprayer. Heating it would certainly be better.. I'm dealing with rust a bit now. My BJ's 73 is not bad enough to warrant the down to bare metal frame off re weld new metal etc etc.. but it's annoying to fix some small rust bubbles repaint and then have new bubbles so next year a few inches away.

Taking my boy to school on Friday I get out on the highway shifted to fifth and the stick shift pulled out of the transmission. Pulled over put it in low range and limped back to the house and low range 5th gear at 15 to 20 miles an hour.
The metal gear shift retainer had broken and the bolts that it locks on to were worn loose and threads that they thread into in the tranny were stripped.
Made about six phone calls to different Toyota dealers and parts stores. No one in the US that I could find had the new part stateside and I need it ready for the relic run this coming week. So I set about doing some work with the MIG welder, some small pieces of 16 gauge sheet metal, hammer and Dremel tool. Managed to repair and reuse a $16 part that I would rather have just replaced. Didn't have a tap and die set here at the house so drilling and retapping the holes in the tranny top cover for the next size larger bolt to hold the shifter in was not an option. Was able to use a hose clamp to clamp those bolts in and safety wire to hold the clamp in place so it doesn't slip off. Let's hope all this makes it through the relic run next week.

Pics of broken shift retainer and shift retainer after repair.

IMG_20220402_183827.jpg

IMG_20220402_174606.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom