What did you do on your 70 series today? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Met up with a neighbor who has finally gotten his BJ73 to his home here. 93' model from Spain with the infamous VM diesel. It is such a nice truck. Previous owner had the interior completely redone before leaving Europe. It has the full dash guages with Tach etc. With 60K KM less than mine it feels so much tighter in the driveline and shifting. Rust free and white paint still shining. The VM engine has more turbo lag than my 3B with TD04 turbo. It has the same or slightly more power on top without concern for spiking EGT's.(totally stock fuel settings). Owner is considering conducting a swap because he's heard so much bad news about the VM engine. I hope he will choose to run it till it dies because it is running fine. He turned me on to the "Kentucky Adventure Trail". This could be a trip at some point in the future.

Drove it back from Sedona, three fuel stops, averaged about 17 mpg round trip. Ended up doing close to 2000 miles total, there and back plus driving around to sites.

Saw this 80 parked near me at the Zen trail near St. George.
IMG_20210427_142704633_HDR.jpg

Not sure why this app shows my average speed as 53 mph, I was doing about 68-72 mph most of the time, at least when the wind and hills would let me. 17 hours is too long to be sitting in that seat...

Screenshot_20210501-223031.png

Last edited:
I burn it with a torch and then wire wheel it off. Comes off pretty easy that way, toxic AF so wear a respirator.

Toyota sprayed the wheel wells with seam sealer. You can buy body seam sealer in spray able form. It is far superior to any undercoating.

Cheers
Completed the rear wheel wells today. The rest of the undercoat came off in 30min with anglegrinder brush.
3 layers of Brantho Corux applied over the last days (great stuff, but unavailable in US). Will post a pic later..

I saw you driving up 89A through Oak Creek Canyon! About 6 AM Saturday. Black BJ73. I turned around to chase but you were gone. Like two ships in the night. Cheers.
Drove it back from Sedona, three fuel stops, averaged about 17 mpg round trip. Ended up doing close to 2000 miles total, there and back plus driving around to sites.

Yup coast to coast, from Barstow, CA to where I live in Wilmington, NC. Gonna get a picture infront of this sign in Barstow when I take my troopy across the coutry with some buddies of mine.

View attachment 2661718

One day I'll drive that to my folks' house from ABQ.

Thanks for the feedback. I have also been thinking of the odd iron off-road one. Right now I have a unknown type of bumper and also have a arb. The arb is set up for a winch so I might be switching to it, though I think I prefer the one that is on now.
The product line has expanded to include recovery points for other versions of the 70 Series bumpers and having an ARB bumper is no longer required.

Been fairly busy on my BJ70. I replaced the stock 29" tires with 31x10.5 Yokohoma's, installed OME medium lift, new clutch, recored radiator, new water pump/hoses, tie/relay rods, removed the pin stripe (which oddly seem common on Canadian BJ70s, not sure if it was a dealer thing). Before and after:

before.JPG

bj70.jpg

Been fairly busy on my BJ70. I replaced the stock 29" tires with 31x10.5 Yokohoma's, installed OME medium lift, new clutch, recored radiator, new water pump/hoses, tie/relay rods, removed the pin stripe (which oddly seem common on Canadian BJ70s, not sure if it was a dealer thing). Before and after:
Nice.
Regarding tires and OME kit, I did the same. (And most of the other stuff, too).
Is yours actually level? Mine leans to the left (like apparently many trucks do with OME fitted)

Love seeing my work in print. Ad shot for Baja Designs... Let's get more 70's in American print mags and maybe Toyota will be pressured into bringing them in (ain't holding my breath)... haha

BajaDesigns.jpg

Nice.
Regarding tires and OME kit, I did the same. (And most of the other stuff, too).
Is yours actually level? Mine leans to the left (like apparently many trucks do with OME fitted)
My front is fairly level, but the rear passenger (right) is a bit higher. I haven't gotten too many kms on it yet so I am hoping it will settle.

I had Tough Dog on the FJ73 that I got from trail tailor and OME on my current HZJ77.

I liked the Tough Dog more than the OME. OME does have kind of a lean to it in the beginning but it does settle down over time.

Didn't have this issue with Tough Dog kit.

I had Tough Dog on the FJ73 that I got from trail tailor and OME on my current HZJ77.

I liked the Tough Dog more than the OME. OME does have kind of a lean to it in the beginning but it does settle down over time.

Didn't have this issue with Tough Dog kit.
Mwb compared to Lwb will automatically contribute to that lean feeling , put a OME or whatever on a BJ70 and there is no lean and also the feeling that there is no suspension at all for the first 10k miles unless you load it with 500 # in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom