What did you do on your 70 series today? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm pretty sure stock is 2" and the general consensus is that 3" is complete overkill for a 13BT and harder to run.

Generalizations on straight pipe size, obviously for muffler and bends/etc this number will be lower.
A 2.5" exhaust would be good for over 230hp.
A 3" exhaust would be good for over 330HP.
I also see that stock 2" pipe is good for 140HP.

So I could see how turning up the boost and more fuel and a better intake, you would start to see some restrictions/EGT/heat issues on a 13BT that's "rated" 120HP factory.

I’ll be doing the manual 4wd twin stick conversion so my exhaust setup should be able to shoot straight down and back since it won’t have to go around the frame anymore. I just don’t want to regret not doing a 3 if I ever swap the engine to something a bit more powerful.

Hoist is getting a workout. Getting very close to its rated capacity. Quick engine oil and filter change.

View attachment 2630910

I also gave the rear end a bit of lovin, I am quite impressed with the quality of the Terrain Tamer parts.

View attachment 2630910View attachment 2630916View attachment 2630917

Time will tell if they last longer than the oem rears.
Nice mate, running the same kit. Are they king shocks your running? If so keen to hear your thoughts on them for the big 79, git a set on order for my rig.

Took off the top, door tops and lowered the windshield today! Awesome weather and FUN to drive.
F08E0271-D2F0-41AF-84C6-4980BFF3E1F6.jpeg

Sorry about all your future water leaks. :p

Apologies for lack of pictures as I know that's all we come to this thread for.

Today I swapped a rebuilt set of injectors into my 13BT as well as an oil/filter change. Injector swap went off swimmingly well (thanks again always to Odd Iron Offroad) which left me time to investigate why my clutch fluid has been dropping out.

I've been having issues with the clutch sticking and it turns out that the slave cylinder is corroded and leaking slightly and the master isn't looking too hot either. A quick call to Cruiser Outfitters has promised to fix this issue in due time.

Anybody in AZ have any awesome turbo fabricators/tuners they'd recommend? I am trying to plan a turbo/intercooler upgrade sooner than later. I wouldn't mind making a trip or two down to the valley if the work is worth it. I want to source a new exhaust manifold and have a modernized system built off of that to be able to effectively swap in.

Nice mate, running the same kit. Are they king shocks your running? If so keen to hear your thoughts on them for the big 79, git a set on order for my rig.
Yeah I rate the King shocks highly. Had them valved for my weight from new. Got 140k on them, no issues. They really shine in the corrugations and rough stuff at speed. It happily sits on 100km/h and stays planted. No shock fade either. They will probably get serviced at 200k.

Finally fabricated some bar work for my troopy. Was tired of dragging her long rear end on rocks.... Not the prettiest work, but it will help out in Moab this year. The rear bumper-ettes work as sliders and corner protection. Tucked up the rocker sliders to protect the undercut while still keeping a high clearance. Still need to fab the tire carrier onto the rear swing out. And hopefully finish up the front bumper as well....

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG

Looking at getting these for an upcoming project..............

Screenshot_20210331-143009_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is this a good idea? probably not.....
Maybe a build thread once it gets some momentum.
Wish me luck 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
Yeah I rate the King shocks highly. Had them valved for my weight from new. Got 140k on them, no issues. They really shine in the corrugations and rough stuff at speed. It happily sits on 100km/h and stays planted. No shock fade either. They will probably get serviced at 200k.
Cheers mate, they sound like the go. Who valved them for you?

Sorry about all your future water leaks. :p
Seriously. That worse?
I have my BJ73 for a year know and plan to take off the hardtop for the first time this summer season.
A) to have it more handy to replace window seals and roof trim
B) FOR THE FUN as 4x4 opportunities are scarce here in Germany I need to get a different fun factor out of it.
But a leaking vehicle in autumn und winter then is not fun ...
Comments are scaring me. :oops:

Seriously. That worse?
I have my BJ73 for a year know and plan to take off the hardtop for the first time this summer season.
A) to have it more handy to replace window seals and roof trim
B) FOR THE FUN as 4x4 opportunities are scarce here in Germany I need to get a different fun factor out of it.
But a leaking vehicle in autumn und winter then is not fun ...
Comments are scaring me. :oops:

Maybe I'm lucky??? But I haven't had any leaks and I've pulled my top for the past 2 summers. I don't fold my windshield down (snorkel) so maybe that helps? There are also tips/tricks to help soften rubber seals if they are hard. (GoJo, lanolin based products)

Thats not 100% true. I have leaking in the corner of my front windshield, but thats because of a windshield gasket issue, nothing with top removal.

I’ll be doing the manual 4wd twin stick conversion so my exhaust setup should be able to shoot straight down and back since it won’t have to go around the frame anymore. I just don’t want to regret not doing a 3 if I ever swap the engine to something a bit more powerful.

Sounds like a plan, I think the main issue with 3" was fitting it.

I thought about straight down and out as well. On my bj-73 there are some wires that come out of the tranny/transfer case I believe it's the four wheel drive indicator switch or backup light switch that would interfere with this. It's also a close proximity to the fuel lines albeit it is diesel and not so dangerous is boiling or cooking gas in a line. After some study I determined that if I remove the factory exhaust hanger bracket on the outside of the frame under the passenger door you can tuck exhaust up a good bit higher and out of the way. If your trucks the same way this may be simpler than dealing with the wires and fuel lines if you have them.

Maybe I'm lucky??? But I haven't had any leaks and I've pulled my top for the past 2 summers. I don't fold my windshield down (snorkel) so maybe that helps? There are also tips/tricks to help soften rubber seals if they are hard. (GoJo, lanolin based products)

Thats not 100% true. I have leaking in the corner of my front windshield, but thats because of a windshield gasket issue, nothing with top removal.
I don't pull the hardtop off of my bj-73. I had a lot of squeaks wind noise and some leaks up near the corners of the windshield. I unbolted the top and then use two tubes of silicone rtv all the way around and let it sit back down under its own weight for about an hour before bolting it down tight. I have zero squeaks now, wind noise and leaks at windshield corners are gone. I however don't know how hard it will be to remove again. I do enjoy the vehicle more now without all the top squeaking all the time.

Last edited:

Thanks, FJBen.
I also just wonder whether it's a good idea to pull the back door-tops. I had a closer look and I m not sure the seals would undo and go back on easily. Summer in Germany also isn't all dry, too. I actually dream of a softtop, but my ministry of treasures says No right now. Maybe I rather try to get the AC working this summer. Mhmm Mhmm. Let's see..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom