What did you do on your 70 series today? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran up to a fairly local forest today which turned out to be a really neat place. Can't say I've ever driven on grass trails like what I saw today.....very different from the sugar sand we normally drive on. ZERO people, 70 degree temps, crystal clear skies and a nice wind whistling thru the pines.....perfect day. And 18mpgs on this tank of gas made it even better :)
20210403_144102.jpeg
20210403_144137.jpeg
20210403_144234.jpeg

Really cool 100' Bald Cypress tree......900 years old. There was a stump of one about 50 yards away that had been cut down in the old days.....enormous.....I guess this one was one of the few that did not get cut down.

20210403_161738.jpeg

Unimpressed dog

20210403_144155_1 2.jpeg

Real car paint is more expensive during Pandemic Times. You may have done the smart thing.

Hello,

x2.

Everything seems to be on sale during Pandemic Times save for car paint.

Juan

Real car paint is more expensive during Pandemic Times. You may have done the smart thing.
Thankyou for your supportive optimism, but no I made a mistake using the $38 a gallon XO rust. The XO rust did not lay out smooth or dry in a reasonable time like the rustoleum. When the LC was white I would thin white rustoleum with naptha and spray dings with my HVLP detail gun and it would lay out beautifully and dry to a nice shine with no significant orange peel(just slightly different shade of white). In defense of the XO rust it was around 50 degrees when I sprayed it. Had it been a warm sunny day and I not put it on so thick It may have come out better. It also took alot of tint to get the color right and the hardware store adding all that tint to the XO rust it may not lay out as smooth as the factory rustoleum. They also used the same tint they use with the other paint they sell, and tint for house paint may be more flexible when cured than car paint tint. I do assume they at least used tint compatible with Oil base paint.
I used a 5" orbital to wet sand. 600 to start in most places and to sand out wrinkles and runs. I did sand through in a few spots that I will respray with the detail gun. 600 1200 and 2000. I didn't take it further or try to make it perfect as I would only just end up repainting the whole vehicle. This was a really low buck paint job. The rubbing compound cost more than the paint. I did not even use primer I merely scuffed the shine off the old paint with 320 grit and a orbital and sprayed the new paint over.

Last edited:
Ran up to a fairly local forest today which turned out to be a really neat place. Can't say I've ever driven on grass trails like what I saw today.....very different from the sugar sand we normally drive on. ZERO people, 70 degree temps, crystal clear skies and a nice wind whistling thru the pines.....perfect day. And 18mpgs on this tank of gas made it even better :)
View attachment 2634825View attachment 2634826View attachment 2634829

Really cool 100' Bald Cypress tree......900 years old. There was a stump of one about 50 yards away that had been cut down in the old days.....enormous.....I guess this one was one of the few that did not get cut down.

View attachment 2634839

Unimpressed dog

View attachment 2634841
There's a swamp that I hunt hogs in that has some big cypress like that. In recent years the loggers will leave them be and clearcut around them. Alot of the big ones like that are hollow inside and very resistant to rot. In some of the much older logging roads they actually use logs from those old hollow trees as culvert pipes.-R.

View attachment 2634825View attachment 2634826View attachment 2634829

View attachment 2634839

Unimpressed dog

View attachment 2634841
Looks a lot like Southwest Georgia‘s plantation land. 😊
C0968F37-9615-49AD-B6ED-304FC023B494.jpeg

Spot painted the BJ73 today. After wet sand out imperfections, and cut and buff I had my mistakes which needed respray with the detail gun. Today with warm weather and well thinned XO rust it sprayed out smooth and dried quickly. I'm optimistic it's going to look good and accomplish my goal............................Restocking the inner body panels with crackers, cheese whiz, canned beans, spam, and potted meat for upcoming camping trip this week. Should be fun. Pics later.

No issues at all. On first close I noticed it was slightly askew, but loosened it up, realigned, and it was good to go.
Great....good to hear. Always a little grey when it comes to RHD applications since I only have LHD trucks.

What I DIDN'T get to do was drive in the 80 degree weather all weekend and today with my 70 series. Hoping the radiator gets done today or tomorrow.

Yesterday i changed the oil and replaced the large Wix filter I use.
Also got the front turn indicator light housings off and started cleaning.
The aluminum "shades" inside the old lenses were lightly corroded.
I sanded then spray them with Eastwoods Reflective Aluminum paint that had been sitting around on a shelf for 10 years.
They look good now and hopefully it will slow the corrosion.
New lenses should get here soon.
IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

Yesterday i changed the oil and replaced the large Wix filter I use.
Also got the front turn indicator light housings off and started cleaning.
The aluminum "shades" inside the old lenses were lightly corroded.
I sanded then spray them with Eastwoods Reflective Aluminum paint that had been sitting around on a shelf for 10 years.
They look good now and hopefully it will slow the corrosion.
New lenses should get here soon.
View attachment 2636167
View attachment 2636168

View attachment 2636169

View attachment 2636170
If you want to shine the black outer plastic, I had some great results with CeraKote trim coat. They look brand new.

So far I have sanded with 800 grit followed by crocus cloth (1500 grit?).
Plastic polish is next.
Will the Cerakote polish or is it more like a long-lasting wax?

So far I have sanded with 800 grit followed by crocus cloth (1500 grit?).
Plastic polish is next.
Will the Cerakote polish or is it more like a long-lasting wax?
You did it right. CeraKote is the lazy way. It’s a ceramic coating meant for faded plastic trim, but if you lay it down on top after you buff it’ll keep your shine for a really long time.

I read up on it and ordered some.
Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom