What did you do on your 70 series today? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To my knowledge none of the LJ7x/KZJ7x used the R151f, only the R150f, the only difference being the ratio of 1st and 2nd gear. The LJ79 and RJ77 used the G52, same as the LN Hiluxes.

Attending RoundUp at Katemcy Rocks, so the 70 spend the day on the trails and exploring the property. Here is a shot from a green trail (Bluebonnet Gang).
Bluebonnet Trail.jpg

I decided to tackle that small rear pinion leak on my HZJ77. The under carrige must have been painted several times in Japan so all the bolts were a bugger to get off. I pre-ordered some parts not knowing what I would find inside. Turns out the pinion seal matches an FJ80, the companion flange comes from a 60, so easy enough to order from my local Toyota dealer. Getting the new seal in the rear housing lined up properly was the trickiest part. Found a nice little groove forming in the flage, so hopefully that solves my issue.

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

I had been thinking about doing something like this for a long time (somewhere I could sit and have deep thoughts while drinking beer) and I finally got all of my ducks in a row. Step one was of course a tailgate with character. 😊

62AA69AD-C753-4109-927E-33681DCFB066.jpeg
08D6B18F-6C91-4722-8F09-7655C2CF4FDD.jpeg

Was asked which work truck I wanted...a Ford Ranger or a Land Cruiser?

Um, Land Cruiser please!

I normally drive 80s, but this will do nicely!

54F2A154-2941-4F5F-8978-205783B2412B.jpeg

I decided to tackle that small rear pinion leak on my HZJ77. The under carrige must have been painted several times in Japan so all the bolts were a bugger to get off. I pre-ordered some parts not knowing what I would find inside. Turns out the pinion seal matches an FJ80, the companion flange comes from a 60, so easy enough to order from my local Toyota dealer. Getting the new seal in the rear housing lined up properly was the trickiest part. Found a nice little groove forming in the flage, so hopefully that solves my issue.

View attachment 2494120

View attachment 2494121
When you do this you might make sure your backlash and preload are snugged up to spec so your leak doesn't return. See below:

My BJ73 had a leaking pinion seal as well. Pinion was a bit loose. Had a slight vibration and more driveline slack than I liked. I thought the pinion bearing was worn out. I purchased new bearings and seals for the rear end. As it turns out the pinion nut was still in it's staked position, but was not tight against the washer/slinger/crush washer. Backlash was double the acceptable spec. Pinion bearing Preload was almost non-existant. (I think around .020"). I was able to tighten up the pinion nut(still using the old crush washer) and bring backlash into spec and give a fair amount of preload on the pinion bearing. Installed new pinion seal and put it back together.......Driveline slack back to an acceptable level, vibration gone, leak gone. You can do this and have good effect without dial indicator, and inch pound torque wrench, if your "sense of feel and calibrated hands/eyes" are really good. The proper way is of course with the proper tools.

Taking hits from rocks to the pinion flange/rear of the driveshaft at some point may create enough pressure/deflection on the pinon to crush the crush washer a bit more creating excess backlash, loss of pinion bearing preload, wobble, vibration, and the resulting oil seal leak. I believe this is why some people go for a "solid spacer and shims" to replace the crush washer.

Last edited:
2L engines have heads that are very prone to cracking. Water temps, along with EGT temps are the killers of those engines. But YMMV

Three of my good friends have had 2L-T engines blow up on them. One was in a Hilux, one a Prado, one a HiAce. All had flushed coolant systems, EGT probes, etc. Described as catastrophic. When they do blow, swapping a 1KZX in is tough since the L line had a shorter engine bay.

RHD or LHD ? I have wheeled and traveled all over Europe back in the day with 2LT powered LJ73's and never had any issues , I have a LJ73 here in Texas now on 33's that I use as a shop/around town cruiser and even at 330 k km that little 2LT runs flawless , the jdm models have a bunch of emmision crap on them that kills these prematurely , the European spec not .

Although I’ve only driven the truck for about 3 weeks now I can already tell that the Intercooler was an excellent investment. :)

DDEE6045-F158-42DE-862F-4C4238C56554.jpeg

Last edited:
If you look closely in the background of @joekatana ’s last picture, you can see all the 79 parts he hauled down for me! New hood for the 79 pickup project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom