What did you do on your 70 series today? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That seems to be the consensus. Aussies love the FT but not the FTE - at least the ones I talk to.
Nah 🤣 thats just cos it's rare. The FTE is a better engine than the FT. Few people realise it but there are actually some differences in the long block between the 2. Toyota "updates". FTE needs the computer as well so can be more of a pain to swap. Way easier to tune tho.

Huge success on my end today- got my tach operational!

Truck came with a non-installed busted up tach sender. I installed it but no dice. At this point I pulled the cluster and checked the tach port on the connector for continutity. No dice again so I ordered a new tach sender off megazip (13bt long senders available there FYI).

Old sender
IMG_5635.jpg

And fresh:
IMG_5684.jpg

Got it plugged in and to my great dismay... nothing. Consulting the FSM showed that reversing the polarity can damage the diodes and resistors in the tach itself. I figured I should check the tach for damage, so I pulled the cluster again and pulled the tach out. Inspected, and saw nothing. But I also didn't see how it was connected to the harness... Reinstalled the tach into the gauge cluster and lo and behold:

IMG_5686.jpg

There's your problem right there! A quick run to the hardware store and $2.50 worth of M3 hardware later and you get this:
IMG_5689.jpg

Annndddd... sweet sweet rev counting :)
IMG_5692.jpg

HUGE peace of mind for me... especially since I won't be able to get my EGT probe/gauge installed for a bit. I'm amazed that I was able to pinpoint the problem.

Had a one night camping trip at the lake. The trip to the lake has 30min on 70mph highway. BJ73 turbo'd with OME 2.5" lift and 32" tires does not like this with the air con running. Heat builds up till the guage is 3/4 of the way to the Hot mark. End up turning off the air and running on a backroad on the way home. I have a nice new AL radiator, but my AC core is really too close to the radiator. I also installed the water cooling lines on the turbo which are unnecessary and dump extra heat into the radiator.

On the way home she was down on power and when I arrived back in town she was missing on 1 cyl..................I'll check into this tomorrow. I'm guessing look for oil in the water, or water in the oil and perhaps a compression check. Head gasket is a genuine toyota and less than 6 months old. Fuel filter recently replaced and new.....I have what I think is alot of blowby since the turbo install....I have 2 pistons that I did not replace when I replaced the head. Their domes were scared a bit, but the bores were good, so I smoothed them out and left them in instead of doing a rebuild. Might have pushed them too far with the turbo and heat and cracked one of them.

Going to build a barn/garage So I burned some brush as part of the site prep.....
IMG_5276-2.jpg

I sure hope so , gonna keep it stock for now and upgrade it later so I can feel the difference. Hope it is going to be even better then the 1HDFTE in my HDJ100 back home.

How does that top mount intercooler do? I hear mixed results so curious what your take on it is.

How does that top mount intercooler do? I hear mixed results so curious what your take on it is.
When outside temps are under 80 it worked great but I had a feeling when it gets hotter then that I was loosing power fast.

When outside temps are under 80 it worked great but I had a feeling when it gets hotter then that I was loosing power fast.
Joe, Air / Water setup?

Had a one night camping trip at the lake. The trip to the lake has 30min on 70mph highway. BJ73 turbo'd with OME 2.5" lift and 32" tires does not like this with the air con running. Heat builds up till the guage is 3/4 of the way to the Hot mark. End up turning off the air and running on a backroad on the way home. I have a nice new AL radiator, but my AC core is really too close to the radiator. I also installed the water cooling lines on the turbo which are unnecessary and dump extra heat into the radiator.

On the way home she was down on power and when I arrived back in town she was missing on 1 cyl..................I'll check into this tomorrow. I'm guessing look for oil in the water, or water in the oil and perhaps a compression check. Head gasket is a genuine toyota and less than 6 months old. Fuel filter recently replaced and new.....I have what I think is alot of blowby since the turbo install....I have 2 pistons that I did not replace when I replaced the head. Their domes were scared a bit, but the bores were good, so I smoothed them out and left them in instead of doing a rebuild. Might have pushed them too far with the turbo and heat and cracked one of them.
Compression test numbers today: 410, 470, 90, 410
Number 3 is not firing and has no compression to speak of. No oil in the coolant. Both valves appear to close all the way without excessive lash. I'm going to have to pull the head to see what's wrong with this thing. Hoping for a burned valve, suspecting a piston cracked or melted. If the sleeve is cracked or the head is cracked badly that may be all she wrote for this 3B being with me.

Went above the Rio Grande to in it yesterday. Pretty cool descending hundred+ feet in a few miles along a canyon wall. Also saw a huge bighorn herd but didn't bring my DSLR + 400mm lens today, just the rangefinder and a 50mm. Fly fished and caught a bunch of small rainbow and cutties. Finally getting the injection pump tuned correctly. It's hard getting the right amount of power without spiking EGTs. Gotta figure out why my boost controller is maxing at 12psi. 2 more psi of boost would be nice.

Was ignorantly hoping the 100w panel would keep the renogy battery charged in the National Luna pack for the CFX75 fridge. On a hot day, the fridge drains that battery pretty quickly. Gonna have to go with 300w at least to keep it topped off for a few days without charging with the alternator.

Mud-1.jpg

mud-2.jpg

SantaFeSummer-26.jpg

I finally got around to installing the power outlet for my Engle fridge. The stray wire in the pic is the ground wire not yet hooked up.

1594642157503.png

Just a mundane day. Did a oil change and tackled the fuel filter.

What a pain it was to disconnect the connector for the fuel filter.

Un- screwing the filter and the bottom was another chore.

A little over 320,000 km.

Had a coolant leak in the KZJ71
IMG_4191.jpg

Caused a bit of a minor environmental disaster
IMG_4226 2.jpg

Swapped it out with a GMB water pump part # GWT116A. old one in photo. This part number is only for the front part, does not attach to the engine block.
IMG_4232.jpg

Replaced the two alternator belts while in there with Toyota belt 9091602385
Replaced the A/C compressor belt with Toyota Belt 9091602397
New radiator inlet hose Toyota part 1657167020
New radiator outlet hose Toyota part 1657267020
New Clutch fan (known as fluid coupling assembly) Toyota part 162167010

Great news - No more biohazard and avoided needing to remove timing belt so saved a lot of extra effort. Timing belt was changed out 20k KM earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom