What did you do on your 70 series today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This week, I had the HJ75 at Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Bros for a few days while I was cleaning up the HDJ81 to sell it and had Georg and his team diagnose my nonfunctional glow screen. This is an Aussie 12ht swap in a HJ75, so it is 12v and uses the single line glow screen. The guys put a Summit starter relay in, a 12v line to the battery, and a push-button on the left side of the steering wheel.

Initially, they thought the screen was missing another power cable and didn't think it would work as-is but the 12v screens only have one power line. They didn't want to try it out but I gave it a go this morning. We live at 7,000' and it gets down to 35º in the summer at night. Usually when I start it in the morning there's a massive noxious cloud of white smoke as the engine chugs. I have to give it some fuel to get it warmed up. It's an ordeal.

Their initial install had the power cable under the metal washer (which just caused sparks when ignited), but all the photos I found here on Mud showed the 12v line under the black insulator. This morning, I moved the 12v line under the insulator and ran the glow screen for 10 seconds and it cranked right up. No white smoke, no hard start. Just a small puff of black smoke from the direct injection. This was the last piece to the puzzle and I can't be more pleased with the install.

View attachment 2344957

View attachment 2344958

View attachment 2344959
That is a super simple and maybe the best way to do glow plugs. I have seen that method before, and it's what I will do if my factory relays ever burn out.
HMMWVs in the early 90s were terrible for burning up glow plugs. They had 12 volt glow plugs on a 24 volt truck. The glow plug relay in the start switch would send only 12 to the glow plugs. But if you try to start the truck without waiting on the weight light to go out as guys do in a hurry it will send 24 volts to the glow plugs while you're cranking the truck and burn them out prematurely. Never saw a reliable group of Humvees in cold weather until I went to Montana. The national guard motor sergeant had bypassed all of the factory glow plug controllers and use the Ford starter solenoid and momentary switch with the power wire between the two batteries for 12v like your setup. Hold the switch for 5 seconds and crank. They had over a hundred HMMWVs and all of them were 100% reliable in the Montana winter and they had not replaced a glow plug in over 2 years since converting to the manual glow system.

I had to wait at the shop forever but they eventually mounted my 4 new Toyo MT's.
1592616087242.png

1592616101347.png

Spent the day on the Rio Grande. I hadn't used the Slumberjack awning in a while but I love how simple it is to set up. Even in high wind it stays put, as long as you guy line it right. Also plugged in the Dometic CFX 75 fridge. Big upgrade over the 50 we had in the 80... and our NM plates came in.

SantaFeSummer-5.jpg

SantaFeSummer-12.jpg

SantaFeSummer-15.jpg

Where did you source your top?
Thanks!
Peter

It's a Smittybilt for a Jeep. :confused:

Smittybilt Extended Top For 92-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Then I used a top windshield channel for a CJ/YJ
Smittybilt 90101 Windshield Channel for 76-95 CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ

I had to cut some slots in the windshield channel so I could bend it just slightly to better follow the curved windshield of the 70 series, but it wasn't much.

It's not perfect, but it's by far close enough for me, and for $83 shipped, hard to pass up that experiment. I have some more info in my thread on it.

I don't think so, I think the new TuRD tan is a bit darker than that. I like the new tan though.

The TRD tan is called 'quicksand' not sure what the old 70 series beige is, the 'new' 70 tan is sandy taupe according to this thread:

Damn. Hahaha oh well! Guess I can still paint the truck white

Had a one-night camping trip with my son. When exploring backroads a bit on the way home. Tried to find a place along the river I went 4-wheeling with a friend some 25 years ago. Back then there were tons of all dirt roads littered with mud holes hills and Sandbar banks all along the river and an old dilapidated wood deck bridge on a overgrown road that we managed to move a couple planks around and get the samurai across...... I found a couple of the old single lane Bridges on the river, but all the land on the river now is posted roads are gated and land was sold off for lots and there are homes there. ... I'll search again another time.

IMG_20200623_151042.jpg

Test fit the tires (315s) and wheels (16x8) I bought for my 45 on the 75. They fit, but don't think I'd keep my mud flaps for too long if I tried to wheel it with them.
20200623_211948.jpg

20200623_211956.jpg

20200623_212019.jpg

Last edited:
315s, metric 35s, so yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom