What did you do on your 70 series today? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

6C194C28-B9CF-4E69-AEB0-454FBF976F4A.jpeg
Installed backup camera and rear speakers...

Took my mule on her last Pismo Dunes outing... literally got all 4 wheels off the ground.. drove it real hard to test all the newly installed kit for any flaws. amazing change in performance with the mech phase 2 upgrades.. but can't get it above 850f.. no matter how hard I push it :).. can't wait to drag my 3000lb trailer up the las vegas to provo Utah 14,000 climb :)
also installed the software on my laptop to start real time engine performance tracking.. soon I can delete the stupid "fixed" oem fuel pump resistors completly.. as the new ecm will send variable resistor inputs to the oem ecu per the software I write..
Hope all had a great Easter...
Cheers
The quirky cruiser head

rps20190422_004653.jpg

rps20190422_004609.jpg

rps20190422_004428.jpg

rps20190420_221344.jpg

rps20190420_221321.jpg

Went for a 1.5hr drive, up hills and around to keep breaking the engine in. Seems to be running fine. I have no baseline on how this engine should run/pull???

Put the rear bumper and tow hitch back on.

Now I have a leak at the bell housing. Its not engine oil which is good, but it's gear oil which is slightly annoying as it means the tranny needs to come off. I replaced the input seal and gasket and sealed the threads on the bolts so I'm not sure what could be leaking.

It's still sputtering/smoking on first startup after sitting. Rev it a few times, the sputter and smoke go away and all is good. Pretty sure it's air in fuel lines.

74ad.jpg

Took my mule on her last Pismo Dunes outing... literally got all 4 wheels off the ground.. drove it real hard to test all the newly installed kit for any flaws. amazing change in performance with the mech phase 2 upgrades.. but can't get it above 850f.. no matter how hard I push it :).. can't wait to drag my 3000lb trailer up the las vegas to provo Utah 14,000 climb :)
also installed the software on my laptop to start real time engine performance tracking.. soon I can delete the stupid "fixed" oem fuel pump resistors completly.. as the new ecm will send variable resistor inputs to the oem ecu per the software I write..
Hope all had a great Easter...
Cheers
The quirky cruiser head

Keep up the good work!

You'll probably find when climbing the long highway hills towing that your water temps will climb up. But with your gauge setup at least you'll know when to back off and give it a break. If it does start to get hot and you pull off, DON'T shut your engine off, just put it at high idle and let it cool it's self down. If you shut off it can damage the head with localized after boiling.

The fixed oem resistors are there to tell the ECU how to compensate for mechanical variations in the pump (no pump is identical). I play all the time with the fuel correction resistor. However I recommend you be careful with the timing correction resistor - advancing timing can increase peak cylinder pressures dangerously (very hard on piston/rods/crank). I did play with the advance a bit on two different injection pumps and never found any gains. Always made best power at the OEM setting on that one

EGT Temps are after turbo.. fabricated 2 egr blanking plates.. 1 aluminum & 1 steel..with 1/8" npt taps.. so new EMS secondary boost sensor is in the intake manifold downstream of the throttle body
rps20190422_124759.jpg
, & the egt sensor is downstream of the turbo
rps20190422_124731.jpg

And the lambda AFR (air to fuel ratio) in in the vertical.. on the new 3" exhaust
For you less seasoned cruiser heads.. the exhaust design is based on a 60'side type lakeside pipe with a straight thru 3" id x 4" od glass pack muffler.. $550 installed :)

rps20190422_125707.jpg

rps20190422_125640.jpg

rps20190422_125734.jpg

Started design work for the cooling system upgrades project...electric cooling fan, davies craig electric water pump, 200amp alternator & 12v vacuum pump. Got an electric fan out of a crown vic police inteceptor... cut the sh!t out of it to get my juices flowing.. now 19 1/2" o
rps20190422_133306.jpg
rps20190422_133333.jpg
d
The quirky cruiser guy:)

Started design work for the cooling system upgrades project...electric cooling fan, davies craig electric water pump, 200amp alternator & 12v vacuum pump. Got an electric fan out of a crown vic police inteceptor... cut the sh!t out of it to get my juices flowing.. now 19 1/2" o
The quirky cruiser guy:)

Dude, your hood ornament is blocking air to your hood scoop! Certainly is original though! :)

Will be interesting to hear how the electric fan works for you. I can't say I've heard of one working sufficiently on a truck used for towing, but that thing looks to be a good size!

Picked up a cargo divider for a sprinter for ~$25. Gonna chop it up and see how it fits in the 74. I’ll probably remove the door and have a wall behind each seat to mount electronics and first aid gear. If not it’ll end up recycled.

79B4B4FB-3F62-499E-8464-566659A9C949.jpeg

Dude, your hood ornament is blocking air to your hood scoop! Certainly is original though! :)

Will be interesting to hear how the electric fan works for you. I can't say I've heard of one working sufficiently on a truck used for towing, but that thing looks to be a good size!
Point taken.. at least I'm lucky that I mounted it with three 200# pull magnets.. I'll post up a pic with the hood ornament relocated:) here's a pic of a fabricators 3rd hand.. my bike repair stand.. that's how I cut down a 22" x 26" fan go using to 19.5" diameter.. if you look closely you'll see my angle grinder held in by the seat post clamp..
20190422_134039.jpg
20190422_134725.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom