What did you do on your 70 series today? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@theglobb ….. I’m obviously biased but this was one of my favorite photos. 👍
8CAB7562-23AE-4EA6-A46B-9BD1DC920076.jpeg

Started to troubleshoot my starter today. After a deep mudhole at windrock the starter solonoid and plunger would hang up in the on position. Had to disconnect the starter wire to drive home. Plunger and perhaps the gear are worn out. Probably going to buy a cheap $100+- non OEM starter and a starter rebuild kit for the OEM starter and keep it for if my cheap starter dies. I've heard the top bolt on the starter on a 3B is a nightmare to remove. Any trick to this that someone wants to share?

Went underneath to check my Tcase and there is some slop/slack in the output shaft/bearing. While wobbling it around I noticed the entire Tcase/driveline was moving. It appears my rubber Tranny to chassis mount is ripped/disconnected and just resting on the crossmember by gravity and not bolted down. I"m guessing bottoming out on a rock pushing the Tcase up would cause the rubber to rip free....Order a new rubber mount I guess. .............On the Tcase and excessive gear whine on the highway (which goes away when you push in the clutch). I'm guessing this is due to Toyota using straight cut gears and the gears on the output shaft being worn. Anyone with experience here know what the cause of excess gear whine is?

Started to troubleshoot my starter today. After a deep mudhole at windrock the starter solonoid and plunger would hang up in the on position. Had to disconnect the starter wire to drive home. Plunger and perhaps the gear are worn out. Probably going to buy a cheap $100+- non OEM starter and a starter rebuild kit for the OEM starter and keep it for if my cheap starter dies. I've heard the top bolt on the starter on a 3B is a nightmare to remove. Any trick to this that someone wants to share?

Went underneath to check my Tcase and there is some slop/slack in the output shaft/bearing. While wobbling it around I noticed the entire Tcase/driveline was moving. It appears my rubber Tranny to chassis mount is ripped/disconnected and just resting on the crossmember by gravity and not bolted down. I"m guessing bottoming out on a rock pushing the Tcase up would cause the rubber to rip free....Order a new rubber mount I guess. .............On the Tcase and excessive gear whine on the highway (which goes away when you push in the clutch). I'm guessing this is due to Toyota using straight cut gears and the gears on the output shaft being worn. Anyone with experience here know what the cause of excess gear whine is?
The transfer case uses normal helical gears, not straight cut ones. My guess is your output bearing failure will be causing quite a bit of whine/growling on the highway; if there's noticeable slop in the output it is probably reasonable to assume the whole transfer case should be torn down and inspected/rebuilt. That will prevent the damage from continuing and possibly save some of the more expensive components.

I soo much appreciate all the help and advice I get on this forum from those who have done it before..........Like that factory skidplate you have in this pic. I welded a ugly strong one the night before we left for windrock but it hangs down about 1.5-2" lower than the factory plate.

Cruised on Skyline Drive yesterday. Leaves are still green so not very crowded.

Traditional RHD Wendy's back-through service. Food server asked if I was required to use reverse even on highways ?!
1632665609832.png

Home is down in the valley behind the dog.
1632665679546.png

View of Shenandoah Valley.
1632665743758.png

Nice. How do you like the rtt? Is this something you plan to leave on majority of the time?
This is my (gasp) fifth RTT over the years. It is by far my favourite for two very specific reasons...

1. Low profile and hard sided means it has minimal consequence in the wind. Some of my others have acted like sails, or billboards, depending on conditions. It also means that for the first time, garage entry and egress is no drama, even with 33s, 2 inch lift, and 7 foot door.

IMG_20210918_191233573.jpg

2. 30 second setup? Absolutely awesome.

This is very much like the roofnest falcon, but a Canadian brand called Cap-it. It's the smallest version, so about 50 inches wide. Fits perfectly on my Defender platform rack, even at the front where there is a raised part, that kind of protects it, or looks like it does.

It's so close to the roof that I can open the moonroof, but can't tilt it! 😂

This isn't a daily driver usually, and fits in the garage as is, so my intent is the tent will permanently stay there.

My cruiser had been getting flaky about changing out of 4wd. It was an intermittent problem & it took a while to work out that the 4wd control computer was crapping out & not switching the vacuum solenoid valves that feed the diaphragm that shifts the transfer case. Given my electric hubs are long gone it was well overdue to simplify the system. So the box of electronics was replaced with a simple changeover relay. This also means it doesn't automatically switch into 4wd when in low range.

i-TpXLq45-XL.jpg

Rewired the 4wd warning light also. I had installed a bank of relay sockets under the hood a while back to feed the spotlights & locker, & had left a spare one, so that made the relay install fairly tidy.

While I had the dash out I upgraded the old speakers too.

i-jf5Wf45-XL.jpg

Cheers
Clint
Hi Clint, how did you determine your 4wd computer was shot? my LJ is doing some weird s***, i have manual hubs but it is only going into 4wd when the hud switch is on and the 4wd is off, and i have no 4wd low at all, as soon as i put it in low the light flashes then goes off.

if you have any insight please pass it on.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom