What did you do on your 70 series today? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great work, Can I send my truck out your way !

Great work, Can I send my truck out your way !
Thanks! My hourly shop rate is lower than most but it takes me 10x as long;)

I had barely changed oil in a car before owning my first Land Cruiser and now I’ve rebuilt axles, brakes, refreshed cooling system, done some electrical work, added gauges and am now doing air and fuel systems. It’s been said before but these tractors are surprisingly easy to work on, even if one doesn’t (read I don’t) know anything. Helps that it was a low mileage, well sorted truck from @SteveJackson of LCD. Also helps to have a good parts consultant (@beno).

Oh yeah! Sorry. I'll go back into my hole.
Wait, before you go back to your hole;

Would you happen to know where I can get a thermostat housing to head gasket... Im having troubles sourcing one (I believe 1634356020 is the part number)

Pulled into a small town in NC for a bluegrass festival and heard a grumbling sound from the front end. Front wheels covered with brake dust but not hot so immediately looked for pads. Only place that could get them quickly was Auto Zone (yuck).

So Saturday AM completed an emergency front pad replacement. The outer pads looked like this ... luckily the rotors are not trashed.

53246B0D-E5F7-4DAF-A263-FC26C84D0FB4.jpeg

Pulled into a small town in NC for a bluegrass festival and heard a grumbling sound from the front end. Front wheels covered with brake dust but not hot so immediately looked for pads. Only place that could get them quickly was Auto Zone (yuck).

So Saturday AM completed an emergency front pad replacement. The outer pads looked like this ... luckily the rotors are not trashed.

View attachment 1785119
Sam
Your post reminded me I needed to replace the front pads on my rig. Better to do in the garage than on an emergent basis. Only wish I had removed some of the brake fluid before I started pushing the calipers open. d'oh
Hope you got your truck back on the road without too much trouble!
Peter

Sam
Your post reminded me I needed to replace the front pads on my rig. Better to do in the garage than on an emergent basis. Only wish I had removed some of the brake fluid before I started pushing the calipers open. d'oh
Hope you got your truck back on the road without too much trouble!
Peter
The AZ pads turned out to be 4 outer pads .:censor:. if I was in the garage, I could have whacked off the offending parts of the backers and been AOK. The inner pad on the 1/1990 and later trucks are different enough from the outer that you cannot get the retaining pins through them - a little work with a grinder or chop saw will remedy that.

Luckily, the inner pads had about 1.5-2 mm of lining left so I put the old inners back in and the the new outers. That was enough to let me motor around town on Sat and get home without any more damage and with working brakes. I’ll be ordering the correct parts tomorrow and tweaking the AZ pads to keep as emergency spares ....

Last edited:
Final round. Doing the LH door next sometime in the near future. Reminder: sheet metal is sharp.

View attachment 1785439 View attachment 1785441

the crane on my drivers door jammed from age and use, so I had to take the crane out....
I cut my fingers pretty bad too....ended up superglueing the skin to be able to use my thumb.

Onur, is the filler package what you use to glue the transparent foil named "cover front door" to the door panel?

did you installed the window crane in any specific "start" position , or just where the teeth start engaging?

Swapped in a boosted clutch assembly. The LJ71 has a normal non-boosted clutch, I recently upgraded to a heavy duty pressure plate to connect the V8 to the 36's more reliably, which of course made the pedal harder to push. There were some complaints about this from my lovely co-driver. But it turns out that some 70 series have a vacuum boosted clutch so I acquired one of these out of a wrecked PZJ70 a year ago & last weekend I finally got around to trying to make it fit.

i-vTbC3J6-L.jpg

You need the whole lever/bracket/booster/master cylinder assembly. It's a bit of a pain to get it in, but it does fit, just needs the centre hole in the firewall enlarged, & a couple of holes drilled for the bolts through the firewall, plus plumb in a vac line. The master cyl is bigger dia, so you lose a bit of the advantage there, but it's still a much easier pedal now.

Also made a 'billet machined' replacement for the broken barrel on my fuel door release cable.

i-TLwF3Sc-L.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Last edited:
Work continues:
1) Rear heater lines deleted. Just need to plug this outlet. Had been putting off doing this ever since installing the Tuffy center console which required deleting the heater.
AC0BE7DF-6614-4EFD-9C08-CA2D0A140629.jpeg
C5A43F6D-A746-4B68-8D50-2A0616D5803A.jpeg

2) Out with the old and in with the new...1st time doing motor mounts. That was fun (thanks @beno)
2A65432F-8977-4055-A3E7-130D52714CEA.jpeg
3168BDFB-8EA2-41DE-AD6E-46C0829261B6.jpeg

3)Painted my exhaust manifold with ultra high temp spray paint
593C8226-9632-427A-865C-C1A4C55926D3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom