What did you do on your 70 series today?

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by hotgemini, May 3, 2014.

1. RMP&O

RMP&O OCD Supporting Vendor

Albums:

Nice!

I am a sucker for things like a new steering wheel.

Good call, looks great, worth the money in my opinion.

Cheers

2. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 KI4CMQ SILVER Star

Media:
    P.M. Sent

3. jblueridge

jblueridge SILVER Star

Nothing today but yesterday I turned the cruiser around and drove home after seeing a white smoke screen in the rear view mirror.
    I hope it is only the turbo.

4. elkaholic

elkaholic Left turn ...freakin wipers! SILVER Star

Where is the "unlike" button. Hope it is something minor ....

cruiseroutfit likes this.
  5. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

Looks good. This is on my list too. It's just so damn expensive for a new wheel. I need to research the spline difference between models to see if we can use other model wheels to spruce up the interior. Maybe a 4Runner, Tacoma, or 80 series wheel.

6. jblueridge

jblueridge SILVER Star

Thanks.
    Folks here are worried about flooding from the passage of hurricane. I will be looking for sheltered garage space.

7. c2dfj45

c2dfj45

Albums:
    Way expensive. I think it was $500 for the wheel and the pad shipped. The new pad was $95 shipped from UAE in 2 days. Glad he bought the wheel and not me.

The sun bakes those vinyl wheels....glue gets loose and the wheel gets nasty. My Tacoma had this problem(2003). 80 series wheels are nice but they have air bags which look dumb in a non-airbag truck and they always need recovering. I've got one in the process of having that done now....$350 to rewrap. Ouch.

The 2012 LC7X wheel wasn't super expensive when I looked it up, but it has an airbag....however I think there is a non-airbag horn button available too.

8. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

I agree. There's always the pre-airbag Toyota vehicles. The '93 80 series donor vehicle for our project is airbag-less. I'll see if it fits the 75 column in a few months. If so, a junkyard wheel for us US guys will be an option. Might help out since most 70s we get are 25+ years old well haggard.

9. c2dfj45

c2dfj45

Albums:
    Bet a 93 Land Cruiser steering wheel from a junkyard isn't going to be so nice. Lol.

10. c2dfj45

c2dfj45

Albums:
    I got 50% of my sun visors replaced today. For the first time in my life, I bought a part from Cruiserparts.net and it actually arrived without me having to make 10 different phone calls and various threats to get it. I was stunned when I looked at the box with their address on it. Lol. Had to do a double take. Actually a triple take.

I think it's a RHD visor....no mirror. No biggie. The other one is coming from Japan. Should have got it from Cruiserparts had I known it would be this easy....

20180912_183012_HDR.jpg

HomerOz likes this.
  11. coldtaco

coldtaco

90% of the time I have no problems with them.

12. c2dfj45

c2dfj45

Albums:
    I have never had a smooth transaction with them. I bet they have their ups and downs. Maybe you caught them on an up. They certainly have a lot of 70 series stuff....

coldtaco likes this.
  13. jmlockwood

jmlockwood SILVER Star

You should have went with Rosen visors! I'm sticking a set on my Troopy tomorrow. Bought a set for the 80 series and loved it.

saltycoconuts likes this.
  14. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

Which ones did you buy? I've been eyeing them for a while

15. jmlockwood

jmlockwood SILVER Star

The Rosen item number is 7S10075-0. You can email Dan at dcable@rosenvisor.com and he will set you up. I'll post a pick tomorrow after I install.

saltycoconuts and TonyP like this.
  16. jfrench

jfrench

Excitedly opened up the box of my rebuilt turbo, but unfortunately, the damage noted on the box was an indication of what I found inside:
    C8A6B253-CC6B-4FA8-8137-D60A0A4956B7.jpeg 07308C75-7CDF-45D8-8FC9-928615A65FCC.jpeg 82B1F673-223D-4CBD-89E5-13184913CCD3.jpeg
    Bung from wastegate actuator air line to compressor housing was hanging loose and the threads on it and the housing are messed up:bang: They made it a point to impress upon me how important it was to pack it well when I shipped it to them to avoid damage and not just use styrofoam peanuts. Guess what they sent it back in?! Still waiting to hear back from the shop about what we’re going to do.

HomerOz likes this.
  17. Gun Runner 5

Media:
    USPS?, UPS, FEDEX?

18. jfrench

jfrench

UPS but I don't think it's on them. Box was not labeled as fragile or handle with care. In the shop's defense, they tried, although not intelligently, to pack it well. It was double boxed--turbo in a plastic bag in a small box with styrofoam peanuts which was then inside a larger box with styrofoam peanuts. The issue was the the outer box was not big enough so 2 sides of the smaller box were directly up against the outside of the big box.

19. Gun Runner 5

Media:
    Unfortunately "handle with care or fragile" are meaningless words in the shipping business.

jfrench likes this.
  20. jfrench

jfrench

Just got off the phone with the shop manager/owner and they're going to stand behind the work and make it right. They're looking for an OEM bung fitting but if they cannot find one have a handful of fittings that can easily replace it. He offered to pay for shipping back to (and from) the shop so they can fix it but I'm going to do what they would have done and just re-tap it myself.

saltycoconuts and Gun Runner 5 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.