What batteries behave best in a dual battery 12v system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I took one of the batteries out of the FJ55 since it too has dual batteries to deal with the cold Canadian winters. It seems both trucks will run on the single battery. They now are a little harder to start which I will attribute to less CCA's available from a single battery. I'll bring the Crappy Tire batteries back up in the second battery tray in each truck for safety and get new ones when I return.

Exide Orbital Deep Force Marine

How about two of these? I have a 12v and just one battery, but I LOVE it.

Sleep with it under my pillow...

$160-180 NAPA. Part no. 9934DC

950 MCA (32 deg. F)
750 CCA (0 deg. F)

http://www.remybattery.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ORB34DC-36

When I went into NAPA and asked for it, the guy said "oh, you want the bad muthafxxxa! That's the best battery we carry." Could have been bullshittin' me, but I don't think so.

Those green things are chunks of gardener's kneeling pads -- Home Depot) which I put a slit in and are used to protect/insulate the extra posts (threaded with wing nuts on them). It works, don't laugh.
P1010023 07-54-17.JPG

If others have run a single battery in a dual 12v system is there any effect on the charging system? Is the altenator or voltage regulator going to be affected by pumping into only one battery?
It seems that the volt meter is lower than I remember.

If others have run a single battery in a dual 12v system is there any effect on the charging system? Is the altenator or voltage regulator going to be affected by pumping into only one battery?
It seems that the volt meter is lower than I remember.

Since I don't have a 12V dual batt system I cannot tell you what happens in 'real' life, but theoretically the only difference you would notice is that the one batt is recharged much quicker than in dual.
This because the capacity of one batt is only half that one of a dual setup.
But the voltage after the battery is recharged should be exactly the same, dual or single.

Isn't a dual 12v a 24v?

No, not necessarily! The Canadian BJ60's like mine have dual batteries in a PARALLEL configuration. That's 12v but double available amps.

Overkill, unless you have LOTS of accessories or if you have s***ty batteries that perform poorly in the cold weather up there. Optimas and Orbitals have good enough CCAs and weather-tolerance so that a second battery is unnecessary, unless it's a 24v, of course.

Overkill, unless you have LOTS of accessories or if you have ****ty batteries that perform poorly in the cold weather up there. Optimas and Orbitals have good enough CCAs and weather-tolerance so that a second battery is unnecessary, unless it's a 24v, of course.

Hmmm, have you ever tried to start an engine at temps of -25 deg C and some blowing wind?
I can assure you that it's not that easy, _if_ you get it going .

Though I never had to start a car engine, I know what I'm talking about.
What I have to admit is that, until this thread, I didn't know there are 12V rigs with an OEM dual batt setup.

Overkill, unless you have LOTS of accessories or if you have s***ty batteries that perform poorly in the cold weather up there. Optimas and Orbitals have good enough CCAs and weather-tolerance so that a second battery is unnecessary, unless it's a 24v, of course.

LOL!! this comes from a guy who lives in Florida... <just kidding>

when you have a -25C morning and your truck has sat outside in the freezing wind then the batteries have lost a huge portion of their reserve, you have very thick oil the cranking power needed is huge add to this a dead glow plug and even dual batteries can go flat in a matter of seconds to minutes.

those that have never lived in this climate can not fathom how much strain winter driving puts on a drivetrain.

for fun take a glass of used oil and stick it into your freezer overnight then try and pour it in the morning at the same time leave a glass of the same oil sitting on the counter... this will give you an idea of what we live with here...

the dual batteries are a neccesity in the winter.

Yeah, this was an obvious caveat to my statement, not that I actually made that disclaimer. I think one battery is good at NORMAL temperatures, but who in their right mind lives where it gets -25 C anyhow??? I just did the conversion, that's only -13 F, not THAT cold. You do have block heaters up there, right? I have lived in sort-of cold winter environments, like Illinois and D.C. But, I'll shut up now...

block heaters come on pretty much every vehicle in canada, but what if you forget to plug it in, or the cord pops a breaker. Do you call in to work to tell the boss, sorry i didnt plug in my truck i cant come to work? What if your working in the middle of nowhere and you turn your truck off for a few hours and it doesnt want to start and its -30. Its kind of nice to have batteries you wont be second guessing.

I have the energizer batteries, second set now. I have been away for a year and have a friend who starts it and drives it around every second week, but he says the batteries arent liking not being driven very often. I may have to get a newer set or ill try the excide's.

but who in their right mind lives where it gets -25 C anyhow??? But, I'll shut up now...

LOL!!
yah, but then we don't need to fight aligators or crocs

your imput is valued and it is just the Canucks defending their NEED for dual batteries... at least you have a choice...

Trust me, I've been in hot places in Central America AND at -20C in B.C. this past winter. In the cold you NEED two GOOD batteries. In Central America an OK battery will start the truck.

Dose any one know where I should be able to find the second battery tray that fits behind the original for a 1990 Prado.
I would like to set it up for cold weather.

Thanks in advance

Anyone??

Thanks

It's OK guys..
I found an ome..
Cheers

I ran my BJ70 on a single battery for the first 7 years I had it. No problem. I live in Vancouver, where it doesn't dip that much below freezing very often. The battery that lasted all that time was a Globelite .
When I went back to duals I got used a pair of those heavy duty Globelites , then moved to a pair of Optima red tops, which have been in there for around 3 years now. I did seperate the red tops with a 200 amp solenoid, so when the key is off the batteries aren't connected.

Well I'm running a single battery right now and the truck starts and runs fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom