Dual post battery (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
91 HDJ-80. Factory dual battery set up. 24v to start, then 12v to run, including electrical items. Installed 2 AGMs.
On the starting battery, LEFT side when facing truck I have an AGM that has marine terminals along with the standard posts. I have the engine's positive and negative cables on the posts.
Now, I plan on putting post connector adapters over the marine posts. From there, I will connect some accessories and one or two auxiliary fuse boxes.
My question is that do I connect a 0-1AWG cable from the engine battery terminals to the newly converted marine terminals to ensure that the alternator charges the battery.
Cheers!!

No, attaching more accessories to your battery should not effect the alt charge cable, or how much your alt outputs. The regulator, regulates the charge.

But, your charge does get effected by what draw your extra accessories have. Say if you are night driving during a humid storm with lights, fan and wipers running, less charge shall be held in your battery. Fridge, stereo etc..

And it is always a good idea to fuse anything and all accessories you attach to a battery.
For bigger things (20-60,80 amp) I like bimetal fuses which switch off when they get hot, when they cool down they work again, so you don't have to keep replacing them. Last yonks.

Cig lighter volt meters from ebay are really good. Cheap n cheerful, easy way to monitor battery charge.

It is always good to use a smart charger to recondition your batteries when car is not in use to maximise battery life. Good basic discipline really.

91 HDJ-80. Factory dual battery set up. 24v to start, then 12v to run, including electrical items. Installed 2 AGMs.
On the starting battery, LEFT side when facing truck I have an AGM that has marine terminals along with the standard posts. I have the engine's positive and negative cables on the posts.
Now, I plan on putting post connector adapters over the marine posts. From there, I will connect some accessories and one or two auxiliary fuse boxes.
My question is that do I connect a 0-1AWG cable from the engine battery terminals to the newly converted marine terminals to ensure that the alternator charges the battery.
Cheers!!
There is no "starting battery" or "Engine Battery" . They are both used for starting but are connected in series when key is in the start position - as I'm sure you know.

When not starting the two batteries are connected in parallel so pulling a 12V load off one battery or any set of marine terminals is identical to pulling off both batteries simultaneously.

I don't think you understand me. I have 2 pairs of terminals on my AGM starting battery. Should I connect an 0-1ga cable from one terminal to the other. I'm going to use the second pair of terminals to run my accessories.
The 0-1ga wire will connect to each terminal. My thinking is that with both terminals connected, less chance of a drain, as its constantly getting charged by the alternator. In the AM, I'll draw a diagram.

There is no "starting battery" or "Engine Battery" . They are both used for starting but are connected in series when key is in the start position - as I'm sure you know.

When not starting the two batteries are connected in parallel so pulling a 12V load off one battery or any set of marine terminals is identical to pulling off both batteries simultaneously.
Thanks. So, I should not do it?

no

I have 2 pairs of terminals on my AGM starting battery. Should I connect an 0-1ga cable from one terminal to the other.
No, unless I don't understand english they are connected internally.

No, unless I don't understand english they are connected internally.
Yes, they are connected internally. However, my idea is to take a length of 0-1AWG wire, connect it to the marine terminal (which will be adapted to a post terminal) and the post terminal. If not, should I just connect the acessories to the adapted marine terminals.

they are the same terminal !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom