Battery Equalizer Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last summer I installed a battery equalizer system on my 24V '89 BJ73. This allows 12 volt accessories to pull from the first battery in series while maintaining an equal charge on both batteries. I won't go into the science of why equal charge is important on 24V series systems, but it's worth a google search if you aren't familiar with the issue or consequences.

In my case, previous owner had skirted the issue by installing a cheap step down / buck converter. I discovered this device buried behind the dash after troubleshooting a severe parasitic drain. The converter was the cause - it was drawing current to "buck" power via induction, even when there was no load on the device. This is normal behavior for these things, and while it can be circumvented by installing a relay upstream of the converter, I wanted something that provided a 12 volt solution while actively equalizing the batteries. In the case of 12V radios, you need constant 12V power for standby current, so even with a switched converter, you'd still be pulling straight from battery #1 and creating an unbalance over enough time. After some research, I landed on the Vanner Voltmaster Battery Equalizer. I found a 60 amp model on eBay.

Battery Equalizer

I installed everything using steel DIN rail - it provided the right strength/rigidity, and also was adaptable enough to use with existing bolt holes on chassis. No holes were drilled! I had to get creative, bend one of the rails, and use some metal spacers. It was a tight fit but I think it turned out nicely. Wiring to batteries was done with 8 AWG cable and appropriate fuses for protection.

IMG_5257.jpg

Solenoid Switches

Two solenoid switches are used - one for the 24V battery connection and one for 12V connection. Using only one on the 24, 12, or ground side won't help you because a complete, charged circuit remains after any one of those scenarios (that was a fun one to figure out!). I had to go with some lower profile, nylon solenoids because the traditional "trash can" style would not fit due to the size and stud locations. I hesitated to use relays due to the potential load on these things. They are 24V solenoids and are energized by ACC power run from the handy factory engine bay junction box (thank you Toyota). Again, DIN rail to the rescue.

IMG_6100.jpg

And lastly, a pic of the entire system:

IMG_6102.jpg

Last summer I installed a battery equalizer system on my 24V '89 BJ73. This allows 12 volt accessories to pull from the first battery in series while maintaining an equal charge on both batteries. I won't go into the science of why equal charge is important on 24V series systems, but it's worth a google search if you aren't familiar with the issue or consequences.

In my case, previous owner had skirted the issue by installing a cheap step down / buck converter. I discovered this device buried behind the dash after troubleshooting a severe parasitic drain. The converter was the cause - it was drawing current to "buck" power via induction, even when there was no load on the device. This is normal behavior for these things, and while it can be circumvented by installing a relay upstream of the converter, I wanted something that provided a 12 volt solution while actively equalizing the batteries. In the case of 12V radios, you need constant 12V power for standby current, so even with a switched converter, you'd still be pulling straight from battery #1 and creating an unbalance over enough time. After some research, I landed on the Vanner Voltmaster Battery Equalizer. I found a 60 amp model on eBay.

Battery Equalizer

I installed everything using steel DIN rail - it provided the right strength/rigidity, and also was adaptable enough to use with existing bolt holes on chassis. No holes were drilled! I had to get creative, bend one of the rails, and use some metal spacers. It was a tight fit but I think it turned out nicely. Wiring to batteries was done with 8 AWG cable and appropriate fuses for protection.

View attachment 3507558

Solenoid Switches

Two solenoid switches are used - one for the 24V battery connection and one for 12V connection. Using only one on the 24, 12, or ground side won't help you because a complete, charged circuit remains after any one of those scenarios (that was a fun one to figure out!). I had to go with some lower profile, nylon solenoids because the traditional "trash can" style would not fit due to the size and stud locations. I hesitated to use relays due to the potential load on these things. They are 24V solenoids and are energized by ACC power run from the handy factory engine bay junction box (thank you Toyota). Again, DIN rail to the rescue.

View attachment 3507559

View attachment 3507565

Battery Equalizer

View attachment 3507558

Solenoid Switches

View attachment 3507559

View attachment 3507565
Thanks so much for the write up and the pics. For some this may be relatively straightforward. Unfortunately I’m relatively illiterate when it comes to electrical. would you be able to sketch up a line diagram of your set up. Thanks so much in advance.

Thanks so much for the write up and the pics. For some this may be relatively straightforward. Unfortunately I’m relatively illiterate when it comes to electrical. would you be able to sketch up a line diagram of your set up. Thanks so much in advance.

This is from Vanner's manual and describes my setup perfectly. The only difference is that the 24V and 12V legs off the Voltmaster have solenoid switches to break the circuit when the car is turned off. Both solenoid switches are energized by the 24V ACC signal coming from the factory junction box. Let me know if you have other questions. Cheers!

1703002501871.png

A question, if your system is native 24V why bother with 12V accessories? And 60amps worth of 12V accessories at that.
Wouldn't that be considered going backwards?

A question, if your system is native 24V why bother with 12V accessories? And 60amps worth of 12V accessories at that.
Wouldn't that be considered going backwards?
60 amps only because it was avail on eBay. That size not entirely necessary. But there are things like phone chargers, radio set, cb, air compressor, aux lights. I know one can source 24v items such as lights but already have these in 12v. PO had them all hooked up to low batt.

But there are things like phone chargers, radio set, cb, air compressor, aux lights.
OK
I get using what came with the rig but all those things can be had in 24V versions. (I say this because I have them in a 12V native gasser 80 but with all 24V accessories)
Just saying that your rig is at the right voltage. Going all 24V accessories would be most advantageous.

OK
I get using what came with the rig but all those things can be had in 24V versions. (I say this because I have them in a 12V native gasser 80 but with all 24V accessories)
Just saying that your rig is at the right voltage. Going all 24V accessories would be most advantageous.

Valid question! In my case it was a Sony double-din touch screen receiver with apple carplay that kept me in the 12V game. I also installed a backup camera with this receiver which takes 12V. For both of those accessories, options are very limited in the 24V category and I wanted some specific form factors and feature sets. My setup also kept my cig lighters, front and rear, 12V so that I can use more accessories don't surprise an unsuspecting passenger with magic smoke.

Now... for accessories with high power demands like winches, compressors, fridges, etc; you bet I'm sticking with 24V! Best to take advantage of the lower current draw @ 24V.

In short, nice to have voltage options for a wide range of accessories with the added advantage of battery equalization.

FWIW, just discovered I can charge both batteries simultaneously with a standard 12V charger / tender. All I do is hook it up over the second battery in series and the equalizer takes care of the rest! Big help as the cruiser sees more garage time in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom