What automatic transmission do I put in my '76 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there,

I have '76 fj40 with the original 4-spd transmission and 2F engine. Due to a bulging disc in my lower back, I think I'm going to have to switch out the 4-spd transmission and put in an automatic transmission. FYI, I use my cruiser as a daily driver, no rock crawling. Most of the car is original although it does have an upgraded carb, headers and ignition. The engine has 140k on it and was professionally rebuilt about 13k ago.

Question 1 - Which automatic transmission should I have put in?

Question 2 - What other equipment will I need to hook up the transmission? For example, an adapter of some sort.

Question 3 - Any ideas on good places to purchase these parts?

Best regards,

josh

i can't believe i'am about to say this........if you're going to put an auto in it.........you might as well finish the job with a v8 in front of the auto.

can't say i recall reading about alot auto's behind F's, auto's behind 350's on the other hand...

i put a 350 with a th350 behind it, using advance adapters adapter between the transmission and t/case. i placed the engine as far forward as possible, in order to get a long rear driveshaft. but i put it so far forward that i can't fit an electric fan in front. so keep those kind of things in mind. i also used a hurst shifter, which was really easy to install. if you have any specific questions, pm me, cuz i may not check this thread again.

I'd toss a 3FE complete drivetrain from an FJ62 into the rig.
Since a 40 is lighter than a 62, this might work nicely

Advent said:
Will the A440F work behind an F or 2F?

If you are going to all the work it'd probably just be better to put in the whole 3FE combo. At least around here that's the only engine swap you can legally do.

yeah
It will bolt right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom