What are you thoughts on changing transmission fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have two types of Toyota ATF WS. Which one should I be using? It seems that the one on the left is a newer version of the one that's on the right.
View attachment 3577734
Left is newer packaging and likely newer fluid. I doubt they changed anything with formulation, but supposedly there's a shelf life for this stuff (and oil in general). I don't know what that is, but if you search BITOG, etc you will find wildly varying ranges. Some of these ranges will be backed with data, others will not.

I have two types of Toyota ATF WS. Which one should I be using? It seems that the one on the left is a newer version of the one that's on the right.
View attachment 3577734
Same stuff, different labels. The one on the right is the old style label, probably been sitting around a while.

So I have been reading some of the posts on the "Complete Transmission Flush DIY - VIDEO" thread. If I'm following NLScooby's video there for a full flush, do I need to go through the whole thing with the obd2 jumping cable if I already have a scan tool that can read the transmission temperature? And by the way, do I need a new set of drain and fill crush washer? If so, what is the part number? Thank you so much!

Wasn't a tough job on my LX570. A bit fiddly and specific, but not difficult. Just follow the steps.
Attached is the guide, just in case anyone needs it.

Attachments

• Coolant & Transmission Fluid Replacement.pdf
    476.2 KB · Views: 56
Wasn't a tough job on my LX570. A bit fiddly and specific, but not difficult. Just follow the steps.
Attached is the guide, just in case anyone needs it.
Thank you! I'll check that document out.

By the way, is the part number for both the transmission drain and fill plug crusher uses this Part Number: 9043012031 same as engine oil drain plug crush washer? This Lexus part page is a bit confusing.

Okay, I found the answer the other thread...posted here in case I forgot again.

Transmission:
  • (2) 35178-30010 crush washers for transmission drain and overflow plugs
  • (1) 90301-15004 rubber o-ring for transmission fill plug

Okay, I found the answer the other thread...posted here in case I forgot again.

Transmission:
  • (2) 35178-30010 crush washers for transmission drain and overflow plugs
  • (1) 90301-15004 rubber o-ring for transmission fill plug

*for 2008-2015

2016+ has an 8-spd transmission with a different plug configuration.

When I still had my 18 LX570, I had the Lexus dealership change my trans fluid at 50K. They actually had me sign a release stating that it was not required or recommended and they stuck with the mantra that the fluid never needed changing. I thought and still think that is BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom