What are you thoughts on changing transmission fluid? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I watch the Car Care Nut quite often. Here is his take on vehicle over 170K miles. My 2014 LX 570 is now over 170K miles. I don't know if the two previous owners changed the fluid if any. However, based on the Carfax sheet, the transmission fluid was checked back in 99K miles. Should I do a drain and fill? Thanks!

My understanding is when they get that many miles on them you only drain the pan and refill and check level at the correct temperature.

No screen change or flush.

I do full on mine also but I'm not sure if that is the case when it has 175k and may have never been changed before?

If you don't do a pressure flush a full exchange is a good idea. A drain and fill is better than nothing.

I have the dealer do all my Toyotas around 100k. Full flush….

Only issue I ever had was my 05 4runner got air in the transmission after their service. It started shifting funny. The were able to easily fix/ identify the issue when I took it back and told them

I don't know if you should do, but I would do it. The message here is confusing some saying never, some only if you start doing it before x miles, some only drain and refill, some flush all the way, some do a combination of the above.
I do full flushes based on the method described here in the mud in a big thread with pics.
I'd do the same even if I start at 170k.
For above 200k I may have to think more about it and it depends on the condition of the transmission.

Thank you so much for all the responses. If I'm going to do just a drain and fill, how many quarts will I be looking at purchasing? And is this the correct part number 00718-ATF00?

Drain and fill at 170k? Yes. However, I would never ever open the transmission and replace the screen. I would never flush. Even if only 60k miles. There is zero benefit.
I’m not sure I agree 100% with this thinking. I agree forcing fluid backwards thru the transmission can do bad things. But I fail to see the risk or downside to dropping the pan, cleaning it, and replacing the filter/screen.

Dirt/fine particles are the #1 enemy of the transmission, and every time I have dropped a pan, there is at least some residue on the bottom of the pan and some particles around the magnets. Regardless of how good/clean the fluid looks. There is no way you’re going to remove these with a simple drain/fill. And as far as the rest of the transmission is concerned, this is no different from a simple drain/fill.

I've had 12 qts of ATF WS sitting in my garage for months to do a full exchange. I've just been waiting for it to drop below 110 degrees here lol. I'm just under 90k miles fwiw.

I would do a full exchange at 175k, but if you have a shop do it I'd be sure they are not using the machine to flush.

If you want to be extra cautious you could do a series of drain and fills over a couple of weeks. But that is a pretty inefficient way to change fluid.

I’m not sure I agree 100% with this thinking. I agree forcing fluid backwards thru the transmission can do bad things. But I fail to see the risk or downside to dropping the pan, cleaning it, and replacing the filter/screen.

Dirt/fine particles are the #1 enemy of the transmission, and every time I have dropped a pan, there is at least some residue on the bottom of the pan and some particles around the magnets. Regardless of how good/clean the fluid looks. There is no way you’re going to remove these with a simple drain/fill. And as far as the rest of the transmission is concerned, this is no different from a simple drain/fill.
Every time i have dropped the pan and looked at the screen it was absolutely spotless. So now I just figure it isn’t worth the risk of introducing problems where they don’t already exist.

I also don’t enjoy working on my truck to the same extent that I do using my truck. So drain and fill is good enough for me.

Every time i have dropped the pan and looked at the screen it was absolutely spotless. So now I just figure it isn’t worth the risk of introducing problems where they don’t already exist.

I also don’t enjoy working on my truck to the same extent that I do using my truck. So drain and fill is good enough for me.
I do the full exchange by draining and filling the pan then exchanging by getting a couple quarts out of the line by the radiator and then filling a couple of quarts through a fill tube going to the tranny through the engine bay until fluid is pink.

I figure this will allow me to go much longer with OCI and will save me time in the long run as pulling bud skids is a PITA as even the aluminum are a little unwieldy when I am underneath on a creeper.

Thank you so much for all the responses. If I'm going to do just a drain and fill, how many quarts will I be looking at purchasing? And is this the correct part number 00718-ATF00?
The part number for a quart of Toyota World Service transmission fluid is 0289-ATFWS. The part number you listed is not the correct fluid. You can get the number of quarts needed for each drain and refill cycle for your '14 by reading up on the transmission fluid exchange threads, which you will definitely want to do anyway. This is not something you want to mess up on, since getting the fluid level right is very important and you have to have a clean work area/tools to avoid contaminating the fluid.

The dealer just changed my transmission fluid at the 60k service. Not sure what all was involved.

Talked to a ZF transmission guru, he has a flushing machine, would never use it on his own transmissions. His method is to drain, turn the engine a bit with the starter while ignition is disabled, get the fluid out of the torque converter. Then close up and refill. Not sure if that is possible with our rigs.

The dealer just changed my transmission fluid at the 60k service. Not sure what all was involved.

Talked to a ZF transmission guru, he has a flushing machine, would never use it on his own transmissions. His method is to drain, turn the engine a bit with the starter while ignition is disabled, get the fluid out of the torque converter. Then close up and refill. Not sure if that is possible with our rigs.
Which dealer?

Drain and fill at 170k? Yes. However, I would never ever open the transmission and replace the screen. I would never flush. Even if only 60k miles. There is zero benefit.
Really? What are you basing that on? I was the quality manager at a company that rebuilt transmissions for OEMs and my opinion differs, so I’d like to get your take.

I've had 12 qts of ATF WS sitting in my garage for months to do a full exchange. I've just been waiting for it to drop below 110 degrees here lol. I'm just under 90k miles fwiw.

I would do a full exchange at 175k, but if you have a shop do it I'd be sure they are not using the machine to flush.

If you want to be extra cautious you could do a series of drain and fills over a couple of weeks. But that is a pretty inefficient way to change fluid.
It's more likely that I'll do it myself. I have seen this guy did it on his 200 series. I don't know I'll be this thorough though, at least not this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom