What are your transmission temps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I’ve been using my ultra gauge to keep track of my transmission temps on my 2013 LX with the 6 speed AB60F. I’ve been seeing torque converter temps as high as in the 230s when accelerating up grades during cross country highway trips. Pan temps are normally around 185 - 195 matching my engine coolant temp. Highest I’ve seen my pan temp get to was around 203 degrees during a long gradual uphill. Ambient outside temps around 65 Fahrenheit. These temps are with the truck NOT towing anything. I’m on 33s with a front bumper and winch.

Just curious what temps everyone else is getting when they’re not towing anything. I’m considering keeping the transmission thermostat pinned open if it helps with the longevity of the box. Thanks all.

That thermostat is there to help the transmission fluid quickly reach its operating temp. Pinning it open might be as bad, or worse, than running the temps you currently see.

I'll let a SME chime in on your actual temps, but they don't seem bad to me.

Threads on topic:

I think there's a longer one as well, that maybe started because someone was going to add a cooler. Pretty sure the general consensus is the 200 trans cooler system is top notch. I doubt you will find many people recommending circumventing Toyota's design in this case.

Threads on topic:

I think there's a longer one as well, that maybe started because someone was going to add a cooler. Pretty sure the general consensus is the 200 trans cooler system is top notch. I doubt you will find many people recommending circumventing Toyota's design in this case.
Thanks! I never stumbled upon those threads. Just a lot of threads talking about towing. I’ve read about tundra guys pinning the thermostat and reporting running up to 30 degrees cooler but I understand we have a different cooling setup in the 200. I recently had to replace a solenoid and flushed the entire trans so I just wanted to make sure my temps were solid after all that.

Hey everyone. I’ve been using my ultra gauge to keep track of my transmission temps on my 2013 LX with the 6 speed AB60F. I’ve been seeing torque converter temps as high as in the 230s when accelerating up grades during cross country highway trips. Pan temps are normally around 185 - 195 matching my engine coolant temp. Highest I’ve seen my pan temp get to was around 203 degrees during a long gradual uphill. Ambient outside temps around 65 Fahrenheit. These temps are with the truck NOT towing anything. I’m on 33s with a front bumper and winch.

Just curious what temps everyone else is getting when they’re not towing anything. I’m considering keeping the transmission thermostat pinned open if it helps with the longevity of the box. Thanks all.

These temps are within normal from what I see without towing. I would say they reflect a good working cooling system and clean bill of health.

The biggest driver to heat in the transmission I see, towing or not towing, is HP input to the motor and torque converter unlocked. With almost 400hp on tap, it's easy to make things warm. The cooling system is robust and well up to it. Even in extreme use which is extended periods of peak output, gas pedal to the floor, in summer, and hauling a heavy load. I believe I've put it through the ringer in with all those at once and it still holds up. I did install an aux cooler, as I'm being mechanically sympathetic as I'm 1k over GCWR at 15,620 lb. Even then, I don't think an additional aux cooler was completely necessary and really only for the most extreme users.

Pinning the thermostat would be misguided. It would provide zero additional BTU cooling capacity. While ruining the efficiency and refinement it provides in warming up the tranny quickly.

Thanks! I never stumbled upon those threads. Just a lot of threads talking about towing. I’ve read about tundra guys pinning the thermostat and reporting running up to 30 degrees cooler but I understand we have a different cooling setup in the 200. I recently had to replace a solenoid and flushed the entire trans so I just wanted to make sure my temps were solid after all that.
No worries...also just from a "how things work" standpoint. Pinning open a thermostat should not affect running temps. Once the thermostat is open (98% of driving) then your essentially in the same position as having a pinned open thermostat. So the only way pinning it open could make a difference is if the engine is never reaching operating temp somehow, or if the non-pinned thermostat is faulty and blocking flow when it should be allowing it.

edit: as always @TeCKis300 beat me to it....

For the record due to the front tires being so exposed a front bumper is basically like pulling a small trailer any time the vehicle is moving at more than neighborhood speeds.

Also I agree with Willie, Teckis, and lx200AR. More harm than help.

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad my transmission isn’t abnormally hot. The thermostat will NOT be getting pinned. And I never really thought about the front bumper like that but it totally makes sense. I wonder if I should be doing diff and xfer case fluid at eariler intervals because of the added weight and drag? 🤔 I’ll do some research. Thanks again!

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad my transmission isn’t abnormally hot. The thermostat will NOT be getting pinned. And I never really thought about the front bumper like that but it totally makes sense. I wonder if I should be doing diff and xfer case fluid at eariler intervals because of the added weight and drag? 🤔 I’ll do some research. Thanks again!
Stick with the severe duty recommendations in the manual and you’ll have a very long life out of that rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom