What are you running for alarm/anti theft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm usually more worried about a few thousand dollars in fly rods walking off more than my 40 disappearing.

What are you guys running for alarm or anti theft?

Nothing, and I almost always leave the keys in it at home - but that's a function of where I live. If I lived in So Cal, I'm sure I would have to be more worried about it. One of the many nice things about living out here away from cities.

I use a steering wheel lock and put the transfer case in 2 low most of the time. If it's a real sketchy area, I'll disconnect the battery or pull the rotor. In the last 24 years, no one has messed with it so these methods must be working... 😵

Lots of great ideas. Thanks. Living in SoCal any neighborhood even the nice ones can be sketchy. It’s always garaged unless I’m out and about. Think I’ll rig up a kill switch and go from there.

Just gotta say, all you dudes claiming millennials can't drive stick and are lazy....

I was born in 93 and rebuilt my entire truck.

Holy crap! Someone younger than me driving a 40? Let's be friends!

Technically I'm (barely) a millenial - born in 86...though I'm not excited to admit it. I basically insist that all my vehicles be stick shift if I can help it (getting hard anymore). My wife, on the other hand, can't drive stick, and, try as I might, absolutely refuses to learn how.

Last edited:
I am in the middle of my build so I actually have not done it yet but I plan on putting an electric fuel solenoid somewhere. I will probably locate under the fuel tank cover. I figure that the person who actually has the potential to steal it will have a basic set of skills and it the security solution needs to be something unexpected. I found several add on security systems that use a key fob and will probably activate the solenoid using a fob so I don't have to locate a secret switch.

Battery isolator to the barrel and then rig up a switch to the fuel pump also.

Home made alarm....hidden switch on the outside off the vehicle....arm it when you leave and if they open the door the alarm goes off but then as they close the door the alarm still keep going until you hit the switch (make sure you run remote horns and off the auxiliary battery so even if they open the bonnet and cut the wires....it still keeps going)
My aux battery is in the car in a box and the horns are under the chassis ;)

With 40s going for well over $60k....it's a piece of mind but if they want to steal it....they'll steal it and it's not he millennial that you have to worry about

Their was a very nice 40 stolen near me that was restored by Proffitt's. Was stolen out of a garage if I recall. Very sad. Owner never saw it again. You can read about it in the stolen vehicle forum here. Tracking devices I think are the most effective. Then if it gets stolen even by someone with q tow truck you can find it. I've had my 40 broken into twice.

Pull the R clip that keeps the throttle linkage connected to the carburetor. They may get it started but only have idle.
R-Clip.jpg

Seems like someone put a hidden toggle switch under the dash that grounded the coil and disguised in the harness. Wouldn’t prevent towing. But simple and quick

as far as towing away might consider a boot on the wheel, like the city uses when you don’t pay your tickets. Not sure if the public can purchase these but I wouldn’t doubt it. When coupled with any of the above solutions for disabling the drive/engine a thief would have to be damned determined.

I had mine broken into in Tahoe twice on the same trip. The first made off with a north face jacket through the rear slider window (I think) while I was on the slopes and the second I caught as I was coming out of grocery store (I left it unlocked). I ran after him and he jumped out, said my lights were left on, and scampered off. He was sitting in the driver seat with the door closed...

Dad is super concerned about this so I’m sure we’ll be incorporating similar defensive tactics into our build. My thought was hood lock w/ battery kill engaged but now I have lots more ideas. Thanks

I have a coil switch and a fuel pump switch. Both are ‘hidden’. In addition, I added a push button start. I also park in 2low. Any deterrent would help I suppose.

Being in Southern California, I still worry about theft. Any vehicle stolen here, ends up in Tijuana in a matter of hours.

Choke, manual, kill switch

Bonus: extremely loud stereo

edit: also some Central American cruiser owners weld the foot kick flap to prevent theft

I have an extra fan speed switch. One of them kills the coil in the middle position.

Once I get my new t-case and I get this thing back on the road, this is my “plan” until I get a kill switch installed. Not infallible but certainly a good visible deterrent.
7D2AC4CB-DCB5-4EC6-B75C-47F0A7E45EC0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom