What are some obvious things to tighten up / secure that cause noise over bumps and rough roads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 has rattles and shakes of something(s) when I’m on rough roads and bumps.

I have an 06 4runner which is rock solid. No rattles or shakes regardless of how rough the road.

Are there obvious things to tighten up or secure?

Everything. Including body mounts. Exhaust system mounts often. But everything.

Replacing the suspension bushings dramatically reduced my shake, rattle and roll...

Oh man....let me tell you.

Inside:
For me if was a bit of an undertaking, removed all seats.
Pulled carpet.
Loose change
Center console and dash surrounding needed to be tightened.
Door panels came off and there was misc debris in the bottom of the doors.
Sunroof.
Check for stuff inside in the glovebox/center console that rattled. (I lined mine with carpet)
Screws on the lift gate hardware.

Outside:
Body mounts (might need replacing)
Fender flares (they actually loosened up a little, also replaced the gaskets)
Spare tire (if it's still under the rear)
Sway bar brackets.
Exhaust.
Trim around the lights and the grill needed a little love.
Check the firewall.
Check everything really...

Then it's onto zip ties, I went through front to rear underneath and refastened anything that might have sagged over time (this isn't causing noise but just something to do)

Just as you change parts check everything in that immediate area so it doesn't seem like such a hassle.. except the interior...do that all together, it was easier. (I pulled the interior to dynomat everything including the rear quarter panels) also check those rear pockets and storage for anything rattling around....HTH

Is it realistic to get it rock solid again?
If you're asking if the truck can be rock solid, of course it can, if you tighten or repair whatever it is that's loose.

My truck rattles like crazy and but a new one recently started up that really bothers me. It's kind of where the windshield meets the dash and it's very loud and high-pitched squeaky. Any thoughts on that one? My dash is pretty cracked, can that make noises?

My truck rattles like crazy and but a new one recently started up that really bothers me. It's kind of where the windshield meets the dash and it's very loud and high-pitched squeaky. Any thoughts on that one? My dash is pretty cracked, can that make noises?

Check if your windshield is possibly moving around its base.

Have you replaced your windshield recently? A lot of glass installers will not glue the gasket to the glass, this will allow the glass to wiggle in the gasket and will squeak. Go get the glass glued.

Yeah, I got the windshield done summer 2019. I bought the right gasket and printed out the FSM pages, but didn't watch the job get done since it was in the body shop at the time. Does the glass need to get pulled to apply the glue? Do I need to start over with a new gasket (i.e. will it get ruined by pulling the glass?)

Yeah, I got the windshield done summer 2019. I bought the right gasket and printed out the FSM pages, but didn't watch the job get done since it was in the body shop at the time. Does the glass need to get pulled to apply the glue? Do I need to start over with a new gasket (i.e. will it get ruined by pulling the glass?)
Some have been able to carefully pull/peel back the gasket and "inject"/"apply" the sealant without the removing the glass. There is some old threads on that procedure somewhere here in the archives.

Most all my "thunks" have been either the front control arms getting a little loose, bushings, panhard, and the stupid heat shield over the cats.

I've got one that sounds like glass rattling in the back of the cruiser while on dirt corrugated roads. After several inspections, it is one of the hoops in the headliner rattling against the roof. Must be some padding missing. Not sure I want to tackle taking down the headliner so will just turn up the stock stereo for now, that way the hissing of the paper speakers will drown out the headliner hoop rattle.

Same thing happened to me about a month ago when I used a new shop to replace my windshield. The shop I had used in the past (same company - Safelite) would glue the glass in the gasket and I had several replaced by them over the years so I didn't think I needed to make the new shop aware. But I developed a squeak with the recent replacement. I took it back to them and they were able to inject glue under the gasket without needing to completely remove the glass.

I am always amazed at how solid and Rattle free my 80 is at 25+ plus years old and 280k mi. + or -
So I would say yes you can make it solid.

Did you figure out a solution to those heat shields?
I removed it when sliders went on to be honest. Just known rattle spot IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom