Webasto install HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used one of these and it is physically a match for the pump location on the webasto, and the input/output are in the right locations. Even the bracket strap it came with fits the webasto. I would not be surprised if it was the same thing. Might have to find a new power connector though. Do your own research first, of course. Just another possibility.

NEW FORD MONDEO MK4 GALAXY S-MAX VOLVO S60 S80 V60 V70 XC60 XC70 WATER PUMP ASSY | eBay

that's a pretty good price considering the dealer charged me $340 for the replacement unit..

Just finished mounting a Webasto on my HDJ81. This is my second install of a Webasto, the first one can be seen here:
Webasto Install BJ74 13BT

I chose to do it a bit different then other people in this thread and mount the Webasto on its side. Honestly I dont love the location on top of the fender and would have preferred to mount it a lot lower but there really isnt any other good spots. I spoke to a Webasto tech and he said as long as the circulating pump is 6" below the rad cap it will be ok.

First step was making a simple bracket that allowed me to utilize existing the threaded holes above the fender and on the fuel filter mount

20181107_192535.jpg

20181117_134122.jpg

The white wire in the pic is for pulling the wiring harness for the switch through the firewall later
(yes I have an auxiliary fuel pump added, ignore that or discuss it over on this thread:
Electric fuel pumps on diesel Injection Pumps)

Next I mounted the Webasto to the heavy duty frame bracket I had ordered and didnt use on my first install. I didnt really need it here either but it makes installation and removal easier. I also ordered the optional fitting for the bottom of the circulating pump to change the direction the hose nipple points. As well as getting some 5/8" x 3/4" coolant T's made at a local rad shop to eliminate the need for the reducer hose barbs supplied in the kit

20181105_130530.jpg

View attachment 1835858

20181119_113145.jpg

20181108_172320.jpg

Last edited:
For final install I chose to T in the coolant lines before and after the cab heater core. This way I never have to remember to leave the heater on hot when I shut off the vehicle to avoid dead heading the Webasto circulating pump. Also as you can see by laying the unit on it side it made routing for all the connections very clean. I am especially happy with how simple the exhaust comes off and goes down along the frame.
All thats left to do is mount my timer. I'll add a pic or two of that later

20181119_150347.jpg

20181119_150141.jpg

Last edited:
If I was to do it over again, I'd mount the Webasto sideways with the exhaust firing towards the engine block, it would make for a much easier run for the exhaust.

@Malahki That is very clean. Out of curiosity, whats with all the plumbing between your fuel filter and IP?

edit- Curious about before your filter too.
Between the IP and filter i have a manual fuel shut off valve. For security and in case of a IP shut off switch failure or a diesel runaway when playing with the max fuel screw.
20181120_184636.jpg

Before the filter I have an auxilary electric fuel pmp and before that is the T for the webasto fuel supply
20181120_184717.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed in the pic my webasto fuel filter is upside down. Doh!

Last edited:
i have the same timer and agree it’s awesome. only thing i wish i could get was the smart phone controlled module. it runs off gms sim card though and the only company that sells them in canada had crappy coverage so anywhere i could use it i would have block heater plug in access. i’m still playing with the idea of a sim card controlled relay but don’t really have time to monkey with it for now so i’ll just use the timer

Thanks for the info and pics everyone.

I'm installing my new Thermo Top C into my 1HD-T powered LX450 (LHD), it's going to be mounted off the right side shock tower, kind of beside the Cruise control motor. I have a blue sea distribution panel right there so power sourcing will be easy. I have zero room on the left hand side due to the ABS module, LHD brake booster/cyl, steering shaft, etc...

Previously I had installed a percolating style 110v block heater, it sourced coolant from the block drain, nice and low... just under the IP. So my plan is to re-use that coolant line as the source for the Webasto... run the input line up and across the engine kind of like how @Malahki did (except his is the output line, of course).... to the Webasto, then from the Webasto directly into a Y connected to the heater core return line back into the engine. This, like @Malahki 's setup, would bypass having to run it through the heater core first before it reached the engine.

The only downside I guess is that the coolant line has to go up and cross the top of the engine near the firewall. Would be better to keep it less in the way, but... not sure how to accomplish that. Perhaps a custom 5/8 hardline as it crosses the engine? Maybe as simple as zip ties... LOL damn rednecks.

Diesel line I plan on tee'ing the 12mm fuel line between the firewall hardline and fuel filter. 12mm - 5mm - 12mm (I still have yet to source such a tee!), then running the small 5mm Webasto provided hard plastic line along the firewall over to the Webasto. Somewhere in there I'll put the pump as well, probably as low as I can, perhaps near the tee. I have a RG-58 cable from my VHF antenna running along the little OEM clips there, hoping to use those for the little hardline instead.

@Malahki , any regrets plumbing yours this way?

78044589_493865768002511_4859266783980290048_n.jpg

75271519_425523981460017_2448282404129865728_n.jpg

78410564_724903648018350_8947441635289989120_n.jpg

Last edited:
Put a shut off valve on the Webasto fuel source. When the heater s***s the bed, lol, you want to be able to still start the car...

Only reason you couldn't run the truck is if it was leaking. And I have more faith in my 300 000 km heater core leaking first lol...

But Yes, totally adding connectors that have a shutoff vable built in. Easier if in need to remove the heater to get at something else.. or what not.

And for the fuel line splice, this: PARKER Barbed Union Tee, Brass, 3/8" x 3/8" x 1/4" Barb Size, Brass - 2GUG4|224-8-8-6 - Grainger

EDIT - The power connectors mentioned worked fine. The brass t for the coolant worked, but is incorrect. The lines are really something like 12mm but 1/2 inch should do the trick in freedom units.

I am having a hell of a time finding a branch tee for the fuel line. In the newer HDJ81's the fuel line is 12mm, close to 1/2 inch, not 3/8.

The Webasto kit came with a small hardline pressure fitting (meant to be installed in the fuel tank). It has what I believe is a 3/8 male NPT on the end. Is there anywhere suitable on the fuel filter housing (before the pressure side) that one could drill and tap?

I know it doesnt answer your specific question, but I ended up making my own franken tee with a whole bunch of brass fittings. 1/2 inch barbs and I think 1/4 for the webasto line attached to a 3-port npt block in the middle and a hodgepodge of adapters. Really whatever I could find. Its not pretty. Interested to hear what you end up with.

Yeah Dan, that's what it looks like I may be forced into doing. What size of npt block did you use? Obviously smaller is better, but I don't want to restrict the 1/2 inch main fuel line at all.

Other option... What size is the fuel return line? Could the Webasto work off that?

Yeah Dan, that's what it looks like I may be forced into doing. What size of npt block did you use? Obviously smaller is better, but I don't want to restrict the 1/2 inch main fuel line at all.

Other option... What size is the fuel return line? Could the Webasto work off that?

Just thinking out loud here, but if the IP is stationary (engine off), would it not restrict the flow of fuel through to the return line, and the Webasto would quickly run out of fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom