Webasto install HDJ81 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just thinking out loud here, but if the IP is stationary (engine off), would it not restrict the flow of fuel through to the return line, and the Webasto would quickly run out of fuel?

Yeah you're totally right. Plus there may be air in the return line. Scratch that idea! Bah.

Update! This afternoon I got my coolant lines plumbed. I went into Lordco and picked random hoses that were the correct sizes and had the angles I wanted off their wall. I think I confused their parts guy, lol. I used a couple AC Delco hoses 18155L and 16136M.

I had THOUGHT the Webasto had 5/8 barbs for the coolant lines but I was wrong. They are 3/4. One of the pre-made hoses I picked has a 3/4 inch take-off that changes to 5/8 about an inch into the line, so that was perfect. The other is 3/4 all the way, then I used a 3/4 to 5/8 hose joiner where it connected to my bulk 5/8 line. I used all stainless hose clamps.

It was convenient that one section only a few inches long that I had cut off the end of one of the hoses was a perfect 45 degree and exactly the correct length for fixing the section of hose immediately before the heater core (where the 110v percolating heater was installed previously)

The end result is as close to a factory/oem look as I could manage. The formed hoses helped with that I think.

Tomorrow is electical... hooking the wiring harness up. SHORT power run to the Blue Sea fuse block (removing the Webasto inline fuse), the diesel fuel pump hookup, and running the wires inside to my centre console for the Webasto 1533 timer.

Friday morning my bits from Newline Hose and fitting will be here so I will hook up the diesel fuel line. @dan1554 I ended up ordering a brass barb'd 1/2 inch tee with a 3/8 barbed take-off, and a brass barbed 3/8 to 1/4 hose coupler/reducer.

20191211_153325.jpg

20191211_153402.jpg

20191211_153325.jpg
20191211_153402.jpg

20191211_153233.jpg

I am having a hell of a time finding a branch tee for the fuel line. In the newer HDJ81's the fuel line is 12mm, close to 1/2 inch, not 3/8.
RHD was tee'd before the fuel filter and worked great for 4 years. This time around on a LHD, I put a seperate in-tank pick-up which was cut short. Was already swapping in a larger capacity tank, but in hindsight it only took 30 mins and is much cleaner without risking air leaks in the main line. Nice install btw.

Got my fuel line tee'd in, doesn't have a shut-off like I had hoped to do but is as simple of a take-off as I could do. @dan1554

T-yHTkkK.jpeg

Changed my fuel filter while I was in there, as it was due anyway.

H4NBYkXl.jpeg

Mounted the pump nice and LOW along the top of the frame rail. Totally isolated by the rubber mount and all lines are kink-free and nicely routed. Filter mounted before the pump. Ran the 5mm plastic hardline up and across the firewall using the oem clips and a free brake line clip to support at the end.

XmcFLmeW.jpeg

eoH5OKoJ.jpeg

Finished the wiring, including the little fuel pump.

c-BIPfdm.jpeg

Routed the exhaust down along the truck's exhaust, away from anything burnable and held without touching anything using a couple metal P-clamps. There is also a heat shield along that side (for the truck exhaust) which is awesome.

RdkOwR02.jpeg

Finished the wiring and connected it to the Blue Sea distribution fuse block. Attached the intake, used the hand-prime to fill the system as much as I could... started the truck up for a few moments to fully prime everything, then turned the Webasto on!

It really DOES sound like a tiny jet engine. So cool. I ran it for 30 minutes and checked for problems or leaks - none so far :)

3ZN4vrNp.jpeg

I set the timer last night and came out this morning to find it running away... it's just below zero (C) currently, it ran for about 25 minutes and the temp needle was half way up when I started the truck. I haven't done the high-temp mod yet. Going to see how it runs in the factory state first when in actually cold weather.

yep. i used mine this morning. was -30 absolute this am. my tractor barely started to snowblow. i might need to put one of these on it too!!
C23CB674-2E64-494B-9E51-DCA74F2BC8BD.png

yep. anything below -30 is just bloody cold!! good chance to test the heaters. just don’t break anything else on the truck! i need to do the high heat mod myself for these kinds of temps

Last edited:
Yesterday (before the cold snap) I decided to get some baseline numbers on the Webasto before the cold settled in. Outside temp was around -1C. Truck hadn't been turned on since 5pm the night before. I turned the Webasto on and shovelled the driveway.

Note the following measurements are in degrees C

After 25 minutes runtime:

Webasto body

20200111_112650_001.jpg

Exhaust (Note: I did see this reach 110 degrees C at one point)

20200111_112704.jpg

Water outlet

20200111_112733.jpg

Upper radiator hose

20200111_112824.jpg

Going into heater core

20200111_112906.jpg

ROUGH temperature of fan blowing. I think it was probably warmer than this. Note the truck was not running at any point during these tests.

THIS BEING SHOWN... does anyone know how many amps the HVAC fan takes, and the best way to "trick" it into coming on with a 12v signal? It would be excellent to stick it on recirc. and let the Webasto pre-warm the interior / defrost the windows ;)

20200111_113122.jpg

Report on the Webasto this morning! It was negative 22 C. It started like it was a warm summers day. The engine temp showed dead cold though immediately after starting, compared to Saturday at negative 1.

But by the time in had reached my kids school (less than 2 blocks away) the temp was up to normal operating level and heat was coming out the vents! Talk about a night and day difference of not having it.

This was 50 minutes of runtime before I came outside. On the "low level" on the Webasto.

On the way home tonight from work (at negative 19 C) I started the truck after only 25 minutes runtime. I had driven it at lunch, about 4 or 5 hours earlier. Immediately after I started it the temp gauge moved and warm air was coming out the vents.

IMG_20200114_164934_01.jpg

We are actually dealing with pretty similar conditions right now, it's been an unusually mild winter so far for us! The real cold weather really only started a week or so ago.

That being said, I haven't been driving my 80 lately, the GX470 is on daily driver duty these days. Trying to keep the 80 out of the salt.

do any of you guys have a link for the high heat adjustment? i’m sure i could find it by google i’m just lazy right now

do any of you guys have a link for the high heat adjustment? i’m sure i could find it by google i’m just lazy right now

I was lazy too and emailed them. Their customer and tech support really is top notch.

I would be comfortable saying if you don't see colder than -20c on a regular basis you probably don't need the high heat setting though.

Screenshot_20200111-101830.png

I'm interested in what the temp gauge will get up to on hot mode! Full operating temp is around 190F I think, so 165F still isn't full hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom