Water Pump Fan Spacer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig, February '75 USA 40, came with what I think is a GM fan. I just installed a new OEM water pump, and aftermarket radiator. The new OEM fan, stick out of the shroud a bit, particularly on the manifolds side. I can install a spacer to put it closer to the radiator, but should I? Any thoughts as to why it appears crooked?

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_7199.JPG

It’s hard to be sure, but your pic appears to show the fan blades are not exactly parallel to the pump-to-block mount point.

If the fan blades are aligned with that mount point, is the radiator parallel to to front of the block?

I don’t see why using a spacer would hurt... as long as you don’t place the fan too close to the radiator.

they should stick out of the shroud to begin with: the fan works best if the blades are only ~half in the shroud and ~half out, so you'd actually like them closer to the engine - I wouldn't use a spacer

This is My 9/83 FJ43L-KC its a direct drive fan , my fan sits out a bit , my motor mounts are alighned perfectly

my radiator & shroud are where they supposed to be

as far as i understand things the whats what factor is all correct ?

if u see anything different please let me know :)

PICT0097.JPG

PICT0098.JPG

PICT0099.JPG

PICT0100.JPG

Doesn't the engine mount on an angle? And the radiator does not? Or is the radiator supposed to match the angle?
My radiator frame was squared with the body & frame and I altered it to match the engine. I have no idea if the PO changed anything.

If the fan blades are aligned with that mount point, is the radiator parallel to to front of the block?

I tried to wiggle the radiator frame on the frame, the factory holes don't allow much. I also had to straighten both of the support rods, they came crooked. It is more like the block is off with the truck, but it could be that the waterpump spindle isn't on a perpendicular axis. The radiator is straight with the body and frame.

Last edited:
they should stick out of the shroud to begin with: the fan works best if the blades are only ~half in the shroud and ~half out, so you'd actually like them closer to the engine - I wouldn't use a spacer
1/2 in 1/2 out

that being said , how many different thickness fan spacers are there ? just 1 or are there several choice part #'s like shims

The shim is aftermarket. It appears CNC manufactured with a shoulder on its face for the hole in the fan, and a bore for the accompanying step on the water pump.

This is very close to correct, although the Society of Automotive Engineers prefers that most of the fan blade is outside the fan shroud. When a fan blade is totally inside a fan shroud the air flow "whirlpools" inside the shroud, then blows forward, back out through the grille panel, consequently you get no prop wash to blow engine compartment heat out of the engine compartment..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom