Water Leak on carpet near D and P kick panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopped in my 80s series this morning and saw my brand new carpet soaked by the driver and passenger lock panels. The passenger seat was a little damp as well. I’ve heard the sun roofs are known to leak? Where should I start to look to prevent this?

Hopped in my 80s series this morning and saw my brand new carpet soaked by the driver and passenger lock panels. The passenger seat was a little damp as well. I’ve heard the sun roofs are known to leak? Where should I start to look to prevent this?
*kick panels

What year 80 series?

Been discussed a lot, try some searches for "wet carpet", "windshield leak/s" ,"sunroof leak/s".

One quick guess, with the driver's seat wet makes it seem more likely to be from the sunroof. What can happen is the drain pan for the sunroof can overflow in a heavy downpour, that water can then trickle across the headliner toward the door and out, forward, and down.

Are there any water stains on the headliner, A-piller, ??
Has the windshield ever been replaced??
Have the doors ever been worked on ie: the vapor barriers cut into, left open??

You could pull the kickpanel/sill plates, pull up the carpet a bit both to inspect but also to let it dry out. If there's liquid water in the gutters you can remove a rubber plug to let the water drain out. Stuff something that won't rust under the carpet to let air get underneath with the vehicle in the sun windows open. To dry it faster you could hook up a water vac, suck out what you can then reverse the hose, stuff it under the carpet and let it blow air through. If it's too forceful you could put a restrictor nozzle on the end of the hose. FWIW

Last edited:
What year 80 series?

Been discussed a lot, try some searches for "wet carpet", "windshield leak/s" ,"sunroof leak/s".

One quick guess, with the driver's seat wet makes it seem more likely to be from the sunroof. What can happen is the drain pan for the sunroof can overflow in a heavy downpour, that water can then trickle across the headliner toward the door and out, forward, and down.

Are there any water stains on the headliner, A-piller, ??
Has the windshield ever been replaced??
Have the doors ever been worked on ie: the vapor barriers cut into, left open??

You could pull the kickpanel/sill plates, pull up the carpet a bit both to inspect but also to let it dry out. If there's liquid water in the gutters you can remove a rubber plug to let the water drain out. Stuff something that won't rust under the carpet to let air get underneath with the vehicle in the sun windows open. To dry it faster you could hook up a water vac, suck out what you can then reverse the hose, stuff it under the carpet and let it blow air through. If it's too forceful so you could put a restrictor nozzle on the end of the hose. FWIW
1993. Head liner felt a bit damp by the top of the a pillar. Never worked on the doors, and unsure if the windshield has ever been replaced.

Look at the windshield glass for the manufacturer's name, usually front right lower corner. If you see anything other than Toyota then it's been replaced. If Toyota, then it's original or replaced with original glass.

Also search for cleaning sunroof drains, basically you can first pour some hot soapy water into the drain pan (glass open). If the drain on that side is open the water will trickle out from the bottom inner aspect of the rocker panel; the front drain hoses do not drain directly out of the body. Then take a four foot length of weed wacker string and thread it down the front drain hole/hose, it will not come out the bottom of the vehicle anywhere, just feed it in and pull it back out. Do NOT use anything stiffer than the weed wacker string (and not compressed air!!) or you risk pushing the drain hose off the drain pan.

All this has been discussed a gazillion times, try some searches and read.

Some search words to try:

Plugged cleaning sunroof drain/s
Plugged cleaning opening rocker panel slit drains zip ties

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom