Water in quarter panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wiring in a trailer hookup this weekend and had to pull a tail light. Was surprised to find a gallon or so of water in the bottom of the fuel filler side rear quarter panel. I have been hearing sloshing from the back for months but figured it was the gas tank. This might explain why the truck fogs up all the time. Upon inspection, I found the drain hole, which had been rubber-stoppered, and I drained the water. Left the cap off.

I also noticed that the gasket that seals the gas filler tube (it's called the packing) is as brittle and cracked as month old bread. Best guess: rain water is dripping in through the gas filler door and down through the cracks in the packing. Replacing it looks like a bitch. Seems like I need to remove the whole filler neck. I was thinking about running a bead of RTV gasket around it instead - the gasoline impervious kind. Thoughts?

Dry it all out and hit it with a garden hose. Next,repeated but drive in the rain. Try to narrow it down. Find the leak... I'd just poo it shut.

The actual drain is a small rectangular slot at the bottom of corner panel where the two metal panels meet and are spot welded together.
Search for it with a small wire tie and clean it out.

My '87 did this in 1995 - gallons of water in the quarter. I left the plug out, as you did. I think I replaced the filler neck gasket, and it wasn't impossible, but required some finagling. Since you're in Seattle, you probably do need to find a good fix. If you can get the area clean and dry, RTV should work. You could also replace the gasket with OEM, and apply some RTV to both sides of the OEM gasket.

You might also go inside your quarter panel (from the cargo area) and make sure there isn't a bunch of rust action taking place in that panel.

Check the caulking in your rain gutters. The water will find its way from the top to the bottom....damn gravity.

Dyno

I have that problem but the water is coming from the D pillar vents.

Were you wiring a Hopkins adapter by chance?

No, it's a Curt. Since the '62 uses a separate turn signal, it requires a 3-wire to 4-wire converter, so it's a bit more work. Luckily, it gave me a reason to peek into the passenger-side well, which I'd normally never do.

I don't see any rust forming in there, but there is quite a bit of mossy sludge from holding all that dirty water. I think I'll pull the whole inner panel and pressure wash it out.

Speaking of, has anyone seen any CAD files for the left and right panels? Mine are shot to hell, and I'd prefer to replace them with some grey Sintra. I've got a CNC router at work - I just need confirmed vector file of the cutting patterns.

DSCN4887-vi.jpg
DSCN4888-vi.jpg

No, it's a Curt. Since the '62 uses a separate turn signal, it requires a 3-wire to 4-wire converter, so it's a bit more work. Luckily, it gave me a reason to peek into the passenger-side well, which I'd normally never do.

I don't see any rust forming in there, but there is quite a bit of mossy sludge from holding all that dirty water. I think I'll pull the whole inner panel and pressure wash it out.

Speaking of, has anyone seen any CAD files for the left and right panels? Mine are shot to hell, and I'd prefer to replace them with some grey Sintra. I've got a CNC router at work - I just need confirmed vector file of the cutting patterns.

I looked at the Curt site and they list two converters, can you tell me which one you used?
Thanks,
David

Mine has a 3/8" hole with a rubber plug at the bottom of each quarter panel, is this factory? Each side had about three gallons each by the way:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454222764.451147.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454222773.133598.jpg

Making me reconsider storing stuff in there.

Trace where it is coming from, roof gutters...
That is a lot of water.

It finally rained in San Diego, so when I saw this thread, I thought I'd go have a look. Here's what I found...

Feeling environmentally friendly with my FJ60 rainwater capture system
waterstorage.jpg

Pulled the rubber plugs @cruisermatt mentioned (must be factory), drained the water, and tossed the plugs on a shelf
drainingtank.jpg

I don't think those rubber plugs and that hole is factory. I don't have anything like that on mine
except that opening that you can stick a zip tie in and clean. Usually a hole and plug was the factory
option for that stuff they sprayed in to stop rust.
Can you take a good pic of this rubber plug and hole. I just have a nice pinch weld and the pinch weld
drain hole. Just checked another 60 and the same no rubber plug to drain water. I think they should have
this plug from the factory to drain water if it enters your fenders.

Did the little zip tie cleanout on mine today after reading this. Passenger side was free and clear. Drivers side was all caked in mud. got it cleared out. Both sides bone dry!

The plugs are factory- they are higher up on the inside of the quarters- they are in addition to the pinch opening in the bottom of the sheet metal.

or if you leave them full long enough they rust out and leave a 12 inch stretch of open air!! nothing gets trapped in there anymore. now I just have to deal with the brain cells I'm loosing from all the exhaust that comes in.

I really want to get a body job done this summer to deal with the sequelae of not taking care of this problem. apparently the PO didn't check this area very well and yes mine really are rusted right out. good on you for figuring this out and warning us.

The plugs are factory- they are higher up on the inside of the quarters- they are in addition to the pinch opening in the bottom of the sheet metal.
Exactly right. I have trailer brake controller wires run through those plugs. Nice watertight seals. Also, just for grins, once in a while feed the garden hose or direct the high pressure sprayer inside the big holes in the frame rails. I couldn't believe the moisture holding crap/silt that flushed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom