Water Bypass Pipe Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
One of my preventative maintenance items is the thermostat, and while I've got coolant drained, figured I'd replace the three o-rings in the water bypass pipe (16351-66010 Outlet Water By-Pass Pipe).

The pipe is snug in the housing and I don't want to mar it by prying it with Knipex pliers or anything. I don't want to wait around for a replacement part.

Is there a way to easily get it out without damaging it? I imaging finding a long hardwood dowel the same ID and using it as a lever to work the pipe out, or something like that.

If not, I may just replace the two accessible o-rings (and save the third one for a future project where I plan ahead and order a replacement bypass pipe).

Thanks!

PS. I have searched and looked in the FSM. There's lots of good information, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Mine have all been cemented in with old coolant. Try PB Baster or similar for a couple of hours/days. They are a slip fit with the O-rings on; they have a lot of clearance with them off.

You could buy a new one just in case. Once I got it off with no damage, next time (other 80), lots of damage, but both times that part was coated with hard crud so I ended up replacing even the good one, kept the old ones for spares if/when that part becomes NLA.

You could try to tap it from different directions with a plastic hammer to break it free. Either way as mentioned above it will have oxidation and other junk stuck to it and you might end up spending more time trying to clean it up then it's worth. So maybe more expedient to grab it with a large pair of pliers and/or a large screw driver from the inside, rock it back and forth while pulling and prying upward, then if it's damaged too much order a new part Monday from your local dealer, have it in hand the next day most likely.

Part on the left with head gasket sealer baked on. Part on the right shows damage during removal. Either could have been cleaned up and reused but you know, the thing --- (LC-OCD):

FZJ80 bypass pipe insert.png

FZJ80 bypass pipe insert top view.png

Last edited:
Do you have a schematic showing where the water bypass pipe is located?

i think this shows it. Are there two of them ?

I have never heard of anyone changing the O ring on this part and I’ve never heard that there are issues with it?

IMG_0551.png

Part 16268 in this diagram (upper middle):

IMG_0729.jpeg
One pipe.

Three o-rings, two in pipe, one on water inlet to head. Same part number.

I was able to get it out by finding a socket that was almost an interference fit, inserting it in the barrel, and side loading it as I twisted and pulled upward all at the same time. It slowly rotated up and out.

The o-ring had deformed into a square profile like the other two. I think it is better that it be serviced at the same time as the others, even if a failure wouldn't be catastrophic.

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

Do you have a schematic showing where the water bypass pipe is located?

i think this shows it. Are there two of them ?

I have never heard of anyone changing the O ring on this part and I’ve never heard that there are issues with it?
There is one pipe and three o-rings. Two that are obvious and easy to get to. The third is somewhat hidden.

I can't speak to what you've read or seen. I've been out of the 80 group for a long time (something like 20 years since I last had an 80), but this was something that I consider a part of regular preventative maintenance service.

Last edited:
This is probably the most neglected part of the cooling system. If you didn't know it was removable I doubt you would try to remove it.

Has anyone tried to freeze that sucker with something like this....
th-1120839443.jpeg
?

I put it back together with new o-rings (after some clean up), and it is leak free.

@MUDZLLA I don't have any experience with that spray or anything like it. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom