1HDT-T water bypass pipe plugged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 95 HDJ80 VX diesel 5-speed. It needs many things addressed, but a priority is the heater/defrost. It came out of Nicaragua, so a heater was not critical. I was not getting any heat, so I backflushed the heater core. Still no heat so I used a digital thermometer gun to investigate. Diagnostics showed there was no water getting thru the water bypass pipe at the block, so I removed the hose and found someone had filled the pipe with some form of sealant. It is really well sealed...see photo. I have the $13 part number (16278-17010) and my question to everyone is how to remove this fitting without pulling the engine. Can it be done in place? Or, as an alternative, can I get hot coolant from another source and run a hose to the heater valve? There is a hose coming out of the block that appears could be cut and a T installed. Is this viable or is it folly? It would be a bit Frankenstein, but heat is important here in Nebraska this time of year; without defrost it is hard to see.

Goo.JPG

Cut n T.JPG

That clogged bypass pipe will not be easy to remove and replace with motor in truck. I was going to go down this path with my own 1hdt but was able to temporarily fix it. See my signature for posts on it.
Does your injection pump still have the ACSD installed? Often they are removed and the coolant supply lines are capped or looped. If so, you could use that as coolant supply as it’s not far from original source. In the end, I’m sure you could get coolant from other sources too like you pointed out.

Should remove and install like a freeze plug shouldn't be too bad. a warm engine and the new part in the freezer will make it easier. the ASCD hose is alot smaller would flow less then half probably. I wouldn't pull coolant from anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom