Steering Damper bolt removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I’m replacing my tie rod ends and am unsure how to get this bolt out that attaches my Dobinson’s damper to the tie rod. I’ve tried beating it out with a mallet. Also tried using the ball joint removal tool I used for the tie rod ends but can’t get it between the large washer and the housing. Do I need a press? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5414.jpeg

If I recall, it's tapered press fit. I think I used a hammer. But is your vise big enough to use it as a press - put a couple of 2x4 ends just longer than the bushing end in there and try to pop it with the pressure of the vise? Or use a pickle fork? Or hit it with a torch to see if that helps?

If I recall, it's tapered press fit. I think I used a hammer. But is your vise big enough to use it as a press - put a couple of 2x4 ends just longer than the bushing end in there and try to pop it with the pressure of the vise? Or use a pickle fork? Or hit it with a torch to see if that helps?
My vice is pretty small, so I might have to find a buddy with a better setup. I’ll give that a shot though, thanks!

Agree that it is tapered fit but just be aware that if you use a pickle fork you will probably scrap your rubber boot.

Agree that it is tapered fit but just be aware that if you use a pickle fork you will probably scrap your rubber boot.
GOT IT!

Used the ball joint tool like a pickle fork and hammered the ever loving s*** out of it to get it in. Then it just squeezed right out.

I was just worried about beating on it but it worked 🤷‍♂️

Now to swap it over and get this job done finally.

A ball joint press tool will do the job a little more elegantly if you have to do this again in the future.

A ball joint press tool will do the job a little more elegantly if you have to do this again in the future.
is this the tool you mean? This is the one I used, but the first few times I tried I just couldn’t get the wedges in…. Then I just whacked the hell out of it until it wedged in and then the actual press part took almost no pressure.

IMG_5415.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom