Warn Date Codes on 8074 or 8274 winches (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow a european one! that’s cool. i guess my sticker will have to change but that’s not such a biggie.

wow a european one! that’s cool. i guess my sticker will have to change but that’s not such a biggie.

It's not correct for yours anyway. Unless yours is a Jeep version, your sticker should probably look like the one that remains on mine. The only way to tell is to pull that one off.

do you have any idea what that sticker is meant for then? or are you thinking someone put a european sticker on an american winch?

ill pull it off anyway

do you have any idea what that sticker is meant for then? or are you thinking someone put a european sticker on an american winch?

ill pull it off anyway

yes, someone put the wrong decal on there is all. They probably just didn't know any better.

so IN3 would be 14th working day of sept but as they didn’t start until 1974 would this be an 83 with the older socket? or maybe some parts from one winch and some from another? either way it’ll get a freshen up and new stickers.
99866433-F38C-418F-B195-96002D3A3BE2.jpeg

With that high a serial number, yours is going to be Sept 21, 1983 build date. This is the decal set for yours.

so likely a combination of two winches here then as i have the metal socket.

my other one is CS0. so march 27 1980?

so likely a combination of two winches here then as i have the metal socket.

my other one is CS0. so march 27 1980?

I’d have to look at a calendar to be sure, but that’s probably right. It has never really mattered as far as parts go in my case. Is your 1980 model a metal plug or plastic? I actually prefer the metal as it’s just a 4 pin trailer socket and easy to find. I lost my remote for the one on my 80 and built one really cheap.

so IN3 would be 14th working day of sept but as they didn’t start until 1974 would this be an 83 with the older socket?

That would be my interpretation. Maybe a previous owner had replaced the solenoid pack or cover with some NOS parts?

the more i look over it it’s had some other modifications too. doesn’t look abused but the case has the full plug modification done and then there’s an aluminum bar welded onto the mounting feet. i don’t know if this was a spacer or to make it stronger but it’s not the way it came from the factory!! wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a bunch of different winches put together. it’s fun learning the history and details of these parts!!

I’m looking for a 8274 I found this one recently. The date code is GJ0, July of 80?

84D833DE-951F-4403-886B-5927BE9991D5.png

B9ADE574-6476-400E-A66C-AA3B5C0B731D.jpeg

I have a 8274 that was on a 1980 Datsun 4x4 that I bought in the early 80s. I took it off when I traded the truck in several years later. It has sat on the shelf since with the intention of it finding a new application some day. I ran across this thread trying to figure out the date. I guess it was originally on a Jeep because It has a Jeep decal on it. You can barely make out the Jeep logo. I pulled the rest of the sticker as it was unreadable. Serial number 78388 and a date code AP8 tells me it was made 1/16/78. Where can I purchase a new Jeep SE sticker for this 8274?

AF3B9F35-7889-4A45-8905-D1BAFA3AC858.jpeg

I’m pretty sure I have an extra. Let me look.

58336B06-4753-4712-80F0-637D2D9FD5BF.jpeg

Looking thru the posts for information on the Warn Winch on my Cruiser. The manual clutch on the side is frozen. Electrically the winch works. I've seen the explanations of date of manufacture but it doesn't make sense with my label:
IMG_6503.jpeg

Looking to find the manual disconnect you can kind of see to the left of the red Warn label. Its held in by 4 screws and mine has a black plastic handle to pull to disengage the winch from the electric motor.

Looking thru the posts for information on the Warn Winch on my Cruiser. The manual clutch on the side is frozen. Electrically the winch works. I've seen the explanations of date of manufacture but it doesn't make sense with my label:View attachment 2774767

Looking to find the manual disconnect you can kind of see to the left of the red Warn label. Its held in by 4 screws and mine has a black plastic handle to pull to disengage the winch from the electric motor.
Are you looking for the whole assembly or a specific part?

have you taken the top cover off to see what the inside looks like?

No, but the winch itself seems to work ok. When I tried to disengage to manually pull out line I popped the entire knob and the stem of the housing off. It was fractured right at the housing. I manually pushed it back into place and the winch still worked. I am hoping its just the housing and I'm trying to see if I can find one to replace it. I can go take a picture of the part that's broken if that helps.

No, but the winch itself seems to work ok. When I tried to disengage to manually pull out line I popped the entire knob and the stem of the housing off. It was fractured right at the housing. I manually pushed it back into place and the winch still worked. I am hoping its just the housing and I'm trying to see if I can find one to replace it. I can go take a picture of the part that's broken if that helps.
You can’t purchase just the housing. It has to be the whole assembly. I just went through the same thing.

It will work it just won’t free spool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom