Warn Date Codes on 8074 or 8274 winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
cilab.stanford.edu
Anyone know what the date codes stamped into the label translates to ?

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7885.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 6.36.00 AM.png

From the Warn web site: Warn Industries - The history of the WARN M8274 winch

"Identifying early M8274s

Since the M8274 has been around for nearly 40 years, there are quite a few of them out there, many still performing regular recovery duty. We get a fair amount of requests to identify how old a specific M8274 is. Here's a way to identify them up until about the early 1990s.

• On the top of the upper housing there will be a code with two letters and a number. For example, we'll use FB6.

• The first letter stands for the month the winch was made (A=1, B=2, C=3, etc.). Therefore, with our example, F would equal the sixth month: June

• The second letter stands for the working day of the month, not including Saturdays or Sundays. Our example says "B," which would be the second working day of the month.

• The ending number represents the year the winch was made during the '70s or '80s. In this example, it's 6, so that'd be '76 or '86. (Remember, M8274 production started in '74 and this coding system stopped in the early 1990s, after that, Warn used serial numbers.) Beginning in about 1980, Warn switched from a metal socket on the control pack to a plastic socket. So, depending on which one your winch has would determine which year your M8274 was manufactured.

So an M8274 with the code FB6 and a metal socket on the control box would've been made in June of 1976 on the second working day of the month. "

3rd working day of July, 1975. Since the Independence Day fell on Friday that year, and I have no idea what the holiday schedule was at Warn in 1975, it's kind of a guess on the exact date. Did they take that Thursday off? well, then the 7th might be the actual day of manufacture.

But July 1975 is close enough.

Also, I believe that converting it to an 8274 is as simple as replacing the top housing and adding a couple gears. Not cheap, but way cheaper than finding a good used 8274.

Call Warn. They can line you out. You can also check out the drawing. Other than the top section of the housing, it is the same as an 8274. Just spec'd this way by AMC/Jeep back in the day for their factory or dealer installed winches. As far as I know, the 8074 was not sold retail. Only on Jeeps.

I believe that all the top castings are the same, so, if you know a competent machinist and can have the hole made for the freespool handle, it would be really easy.

Attachments

• 8274-parts-list.pdf
    207 KB · Views: 953
It looks like you can get all the parts together for under a couple hundred bucks.

warn 8274 parts | eBay

When did they make the 8074 and then go to the 8274? I have an 8074 on my '73 FJ40 was
always curious, did they make 8074 and 8274 at the same time or was 8074 made earlier and
then discontinued when the 8274 came along?

Well, like I said, the 8074 was a special thing for AMC/Jeep in '74-'75, so yes, they did make them at the same time as the 8274.

In '76, Jeep contracted with Warn to provide a rebadged 8274 as Jeep Special Equipment. Jeep did this also with Ramsey. If you wanted a planetary gear winch, you got a Ramsey.

I'm not just a Land Cruiser guy. I've only been into Cruisers since 2000 or so. I've had Jeeps all my life.

$_58.JPG

Oh, and I am absolutely a Warn 8274 fanboy. I have a mid July 1975 (GN5) 8274 on my Cruiser and an April 26, 1978 (DS8) on my '79 CJ7.

I have no reason to convert it, I like it as is, with power in and power out, no need for free spool mode, the direct drive keeps it simple and hearty.

The original control unit is long gone, and I have no photos of that. It's on at least its 4th or 5th control pack since I got it, current one is from 2016.

OK so GC5 sounds like 7/3/75 or 7/3/85

It never had any Jeep tag on it, this Warn 8074 tag is original, have always just put tape on it when re-coating the casing in black every few years.

thanks guys, very interesting!

OK so GC5 sounds like 7/3/75 or 7/3/85

It never had any Jeep tag on it, this Warn 8074 tag is original, have always just put tape on it when re-coating the casing in black every few years.

thanks guys, very interesting!

Yours is a '75.

They quit making the 8074 in '76 when Warn contracted to rebadge the 8274 with the Jeep Special Equipment badge. Prior to that, the 8074 was a spec contract with Warn that didn't include rebadging. All 8074's out there came from a Jeep dealer.

All Jeep SE badged 8274s came from a Jeep dealer.

Here's my 8074 without any Jeep badging. Thoughts? Was it originally on a Jeep, just without the badging?

IMG_2715.jpg

Here's my 8074 without any Jeep badging. Thoughts? Was it originally on a Jeep, just without the badging?

Yes. All 8074s were sold through Jeep. It was a specially built winch only for Jeep and was Warn badged. The 1976 and up 8274 Jeep Special Equipment winches have the Jeep badges. They are tough to fake since the serial numbers on the Jeep SE 8274s are in a different spot than the Warn badged winches, so if someone tried to just slap a repop Jeep SE decal on a non SE winch, the window won't line up correctly.

Thanks for posting this! Looks like mine is an Aug ‘85 due to plastic connection for the remote.

Hey guys, I've locked down a cheap 8274. Date code is CS8. It has a plastic socket, but the PO says the box was replaced at some point. Are there any other ways for me to tell if it's a 78 or 88? Serial number is 98801.

If it's a plastic socket, it's likely an '88. The '88s also had the W on the control pack painted red; the '78s had the W embossed and was unpainted.

- Andy

Andy - check this pic. Unpainted W and plastic socket. I'm buying it regardless, would just like to know which year it is. Thanks.

ctmVMGd.jpg

Andy - check this pic. Unpainted W and plastic socket. I'm buying it regardless, would just like to know which year it is. Thanks.

ctmVMGd.jpg

Looks like a 78' with that style cover

They could have...looks like older cover for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom