WARN 8274...show what ya got! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh man.....my favorite color on a Fj40 !

IMO the 8274 looks better on a FJ40 bumper than any other vehicle. Its not hidden behind of bunch of tubing, lights, etc...

Just standing there in all its majesty. Great pic.
Thank you! Several great 40 colors, but Olive is just right on the body style!

The In/Out handle is a concern. Also a little worried about blocking cooling to the radiator since the winch is so huge... Guess I'll tackle that next if it becomes an issue.
Haven't had any cooling issues with the 8274 mounted on my 76 Jeep CJ5 with a 5.0L Ford engine:

20190908_141047.jpg

Haven't had any cooling issues with the 8274 mounted on my 76 Jeep CJ5 with a 5.0L Ford engine:

View attachment 2572896

Not surprising since the entire front end of a Jeep IS the grill and the 5.0 Ford is a cool running engine.

Throw all of that on an 80 series and turn on the A/C and things might be quite different. ;)

Not surprising since the entire front end of a Jeep IS the grill and the 5.0 Ford is a cool running engine.

Throw all of that on an 80 series and turn on the A/C and things might be quite different. ;)
Yup. Not really an 'Apple to Apple' comparison. But I was still concerned, since my 5.0L has aluminum heads, I didn't want any 'warpage'.... I also run a 4 core radiator with a dual (Contour) fan setup.

Yup. Not really an 'Apple to Apple' comparison. But I was still concerned, since my 5.0L has aluminum heads, I didn't want any 'warpage'.... I also run a 4 core radiator with a dual (Contour) fan setup.
As they say, “that is the rest of the story” Really cool CJ!

FJ40’s were a real rarity growing up, but there were several cool CJ’s in the HS parking lot back in the day, I have have to admit I am a fan of the old 5/7’s!

Have some cool side exhaust so you can hear that 5.0?

Have some cool side exhaust so you can hear that 5.0?
No side exit. It has a set of Ford Racing F-150 SS headers (I had them Jet Hot coated), running through a single 3" in/out turbo muffler out the back. It 'roars' good enough for me. Easily drowns out the growl from the 32" SuperSwamper TSL/SX tires. It sounds good at idle too. The engine is a Ford Racing 5.0L (eBay find), Aluminum GT40p heads, Ford 'B' cam, 24# injectors, GT40 tubular intake, 65mm TB/MAF. A bit of a 'tune' was added to the A9L computer. I don't have a chassis dyno sheet on it, but Ford advertised this setup to make 345hp. More that enough for a CJ5.

I don't see any 40's in my area on the road. Not that there aren't some, just haven't seen any. And the number of CJ's is small, but there are a few 5's and 7's around. The older Bronco's are also rare. Too much salt on the roads. I joke (?) that all CJ's came from the factory with pre-installed rust...

No side exit. It has a set of Ford Racing F-150 SS headers (I had them Jet Hot coated), running through a single 3" in/out turbo muffler out the back. It 'roars' good enough for me. Easily drowns out the growl from the 32" SuperSwamper TSL/SX tires. It sounds good at idle too. The engine is a Ford Racing 5.0L (eBay find), Aluminum GT40p heads, Ford 'B' cam, 24# injectors, GT40 tubular intake, 65mm TB/MAF. A bit of a 'tune' was added to the A9L computer. I don't have a chassis dyno sheet on it, but Ford advertised this setup to make 345hp. More that enough for a CJ5.

I don't see any 40's in my area on the road. Not that there aren't some, just haven't seen any. And the number of CJ's is small, but there are a few 5's and 7's around. The older Bronco's are also rare. Too much salt on the roads. I joke (?) that all CJ's came from the factory with pre-installed rust...

^^^^^
halfcab2.jpg

That's what I run most of the time off-road. '70 model half cab.

But to keep this 'tech'...............I like my 80 series best.

^^^^^
View attachment 2572970

That's what I run most of the time off-road. '70 model half cab.

Super Nice! 6cyl or 302?

Oh, and I'd like me a big Toyota too. Probably going to swap my wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit (in a few years) for a big ol' Lexus GX or LX. At my age (and the wife's), getting pretty close to that 'last vehicle' point.....

I've got a spare 8274 (fully rebuilt). Wonder how that'd look on a big Lexus?

On my 1979 BJ40. Picked up a well used 8274....

IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG

Stripped, cleaned, inspected everything and replaced damaged needle roller bearings in top housing with bushing modification. Also lucky enough to find brand new winch drum and cable at bargain price (seller updated to air release brake drum and Dyneema rope). New cables and lugs.
1612934477610.jpg
1612934526833.jpg
Decal kit from forum user SMG. Made new fairlead rollers and bushes.

Mounted.

On my 1979 BJ40. Picked up a well used 8274....

View attachment 2581101View attachment 2581102
Stripped, cleaned, inspected everything and replaced damaged needle roller bearings in top housing with bushing modification. Also lucky enough to find brand new winch drum and cable at bargain price (seller updated to air release brake drum and Dyneema rope). New cables and lugs.View attachment 2581106View attachment 2581107 Decal kit from forum user SMG. Made new fairlead rollers and bushes.

Mounted.

Very Nice! A 40 series almost looks naked without an 8274 mounted up front.

The M8274 has been around a LONG time (since 1974) and the basic design (upright, spur gear) first found in the Belleview Winch even longer (since 1959).

Then consider how many places around the world it has been sold and used (over the years) and it becomes one of the most ubiquitous winches ever produced by Warn. Certainly the most recognizable.

It is not the best winch for EVERY application....but its a damn fine piece of machinery that has stood the test of time. I love mine....and have had it since 1983.

Last edited:
I blame everyone who has ever posted in this subforum :lol::lol:. Been noticing this old Bronco on the side of the road (BTW it's available for only $700) and that it had (past tense now) an old 8274. Called today and made a deal on the winch. $75. It lacks the engagement knob portion but all other major pieces are there. Have the roller fairlead, winch control cable, cover for solenoids, etc.

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

I blame everyone who has ever posted in this subforum :lol::lol:. Been noticing this old Bronco on the side of the road (BTW it's available for only $700) and that it had (past tense now) an old 8274. Called today and made a deal on the winch. $75. It lacks the engagement knob portion but all other major pieces are there. Have the roller fairlead, winch control cable, cover for solenoids, etc.

View attachment 2591185

View attachment 2591186

View attachment 2591187

You dirty dog....that was steal. Nice one for a rebuild. Virtually all of them need (or would benefit) from a new motor....so nothing lost. there.

Clutch engagement knob and an end plate. Tear it down and refurbish. Put an Albright contactor on it, wire or synthetic rope, refurb or replace the roller fairlead. You'll have a winch that will last you a lifetime. Or part it out for WAY more than you paid for it.

Curious about this. Care to share contactor info?

You dirty dog....that was steal. Nice one for a rebuild. Virtually all of them need (or would benefit) from a new motor....so nothing lost. there.

Clutch engagement knob and an end plate. Tear it down and refurbish. Put an Albright contactor on it, wire or synthetic rope, refurb or replace the roller fairlead. You'll have a winch that will last you a lifetime. Or part it out for WAY more than you paid for it.

I'll be doing a rebuild with new motor and Albright contactor. This one will go a FJ60. I've almost completed a similar rebuild on another 8274 that will be going back on the FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom