Wanted: Tips for Accurately Marking Holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another good trick I remebered is using a q-tip dipped in spray paint in those hard to reach or low clearance areas. I usually hold the piece in place run the q-tip around the inside of the hole and then find the center after you remove it to drill.

I have the harbor freight set it's about the best ten bucks you can spend. I wish I had done it years ago.
I have used a couple of them on steel and they seem to be holding up well, I doubt they could take it day in and day out but for ten bucks if I have to buy another set in ten years so be it. Or I'll just dress them on the sander.

crusier72 said:
I have the harbor freight set it's about the best ten bucks you can spend. I wish I had done it years ago.
I have used a couple of them on steel and they seem to be holding up well, I doubt they could take it day in and day out but for ten bucks if I have to buy another set in ten years so be it. Or I'll just dress them on the sander.

I didn't say not to use them on steel - I said not HARD steel, meaning hardened. They'll last a while on mild steel and sheet metal.

I don't think that the Chinese have got it together about tool hardening steel and they seem to use only low carbon stock for things like punches and drill bits. It's probably the main reason for their reputation of not lasting or holding up. Part of the reason for low prices too.

Invest in a set of calipers. I use this in measuring for schematics when making 2D CAD dwgs. for a CNC Oxy/Plasma cutting table. The calipers have sharp ends that can etch the precise locations on steel-especially if carbide-tipped.

Hope this helps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom