Wanted: Plug that connects to Throttle Position Sensor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, wondering if anyone has the plug that connects into the throttle position sensor? (1988 FJ62, 3fe)
One of my terminals is missing pins in it, I cannot find this part anywhere! Thanks.

looks like this!

image.jpeg

you may check with Beno or another OEm parts guru, I know some plugs can be gotten from toyota still.

write down any # or letters you see on it.

Coolerman(vender of OEM harnesses, wiring and plugs) may also be of help, but I think he leaves off at the 40 series.

where did the pin go? and are you sure it had a pin where it seems to be missing?

I think the part number is 90980-10378
I was recently told that the part is NLA.
I found what I think will fit,
S13 SR20 MAF Sensor Connector
I bought from www.wiringspecialties.com
Should be here this weekend. I'll let you know how it fits.

Last edited:
BTW - The Denso part number for the TPS on my '89 was 198500-0201. This comes out to be a Toyota part # 89452-28030 which was changed to 89452-20050.
The Toyota catalog and toyodiy.com show the part # 89452-14050.
The -14050 part will not work on my '89. The pressure pads are 90° wrong and can not work.

Checked with Beno, he says they are no longer available.

That plug sure does look like it could be it, definitely let me know asap.. Right now I'm running a refurbished TPS from autozone, since I thought my old Toyota one was done for (pretty sure it's not). Thanks a million for the responses.

This is what I meant by the pins missing, in the second terminal you can kinda see that they are not there.

image.jpeg

My plug looks just like yours. Broken top corner and all.

Talk about refurbished..... This is my TPS that I had to patch until the correct one comes in this weekend.

20160411_201814.jpg

Nice! Yeah my clip and part of my plug broke off somewhere, s*** gets brittle in there.
Is your TPS acting up at all?

LOL, I was gonna say some zip ties and duct tape might be the ticket..

Yes, my TPS was acting up.
I made the mistake of spray washing the engine and the TPS ( and/or the connector ) started acting up badly.
The TPS had a dead spot that caused all loss of power on the road.
While trouble shooting in the driveway, I could control the RPMs up to 2000 RPM then the engine would begin to drop to 1500 RPM and cycle back up to 2000. This continued as I increased pressure on the accelerator up to near WOT, then the fuel would kick in and race the engine.
On the table the Ohm meter was showing a dead spot in the resistance of the TPS.
I cut the bottom tabs from the TPS and pulled off the silver back of the sensor. Cleaned the traces on the board and put it back together.
I had nothing to lose from opening the sensor. It wasn't useful in current state.
After cleaning and reassembling, the readings were just fine when testing all the FSM specs.
Put it on the truck and ZOOM, it all worked (as long as I held the connector in place).
Placed the the zip-ties on the connector and off on road test.
The next morning I drove 20mi to work and all held together.
The next day I drove about 75mi total and all was well.
(just received an email that the new TPS is on the front porch. WooHoo)

Quick follow-up on the replacement TPS plug.
It finally stopped raining so that I was able to work on the new TPS and connector.
The connector part # is ST4PIN. It comes assembled with pigtails to splice in or parts with the pins and hood so you can crimp onto existing wiring. I chose the parts 'cause I didn't want to solder the wires (plus I had the crimping tool).
I ended up destroying the old connector as I could not get the pins to release. I clipped the wires at the old crimps and then stripped the ends and crimped the new connectors. I didn't get any pics of the new crimps, but the web site has a good video on crimping the connectors.
New connectors into the hood and plugged onto the new TPS. It all fits well and works GREAT!

20160423_171912_HDR.jpg
20160423_171936.jpg
20160423_220005.jpg

Last edited:
Related question - I've heard that the wiring on newer (to me, anything newer than an FJ60) computer controlled engines is more sensitive to corrosion, bad connections, etc. I'm not sure how true this is or not, but I'm wondering about one of the four wires to the TPS on the 3FE that will soon be transplanted into my '86 FJ60. A couple of winters ago I had a pack rat take up residence under the hood of my '89 FJ62 (the running donor vehicle) for a short while. The only wire it chewed through was the green w/white stripe TPS wire. I simply twisted it together (didn't even solder it) and went back to driving the vehicle. I never noticed any out of the ordinary symptoms, so I assumed all was good. Of course I'll repair it with a proper soldered joint before the 3FE gets installed - is there anything special I need to do other than a solid soldered joint covered by shrink tubing?

Personally, we have not had any trouble with corrosion induced electrical problems. All my problems have been self created.
26yrs and this is the first electrical episode

Thanks for that response I'm going to order that asap! Great follow up:cheers: I'll post again and tell you how it goes

Quick follow-up on the replacement TPS plug.
It finally stopped raining so that I was able to work on the new TPS and connector.
The connector part # is ST4PIN. It comes assembled with pigtails to splice in or parts with the pins and hood so you can crimp onto existing wiring. I chose the parts 'cause I didn't want to solder the wires (plus I had the crimping tool).
I ended up destroying the old connector as I could not get the pins to release. I clipped the wires at the old crimps and then stripped the ends and crimped the new connectors. I didn't get any pics of the new crimps, but the web site has a good video on crimping the connectors.
New connectors into the hood and plugged onto the new TPS. It all fits well and works GREAT!

View attachment 1247342 View attachment 1247380View attachment 1247385
If you don't mind me asking, what's the website to where you purchased your TPS plug? Thank you very much.

Hola FJ 62 lovers, mine is an 1989 with 255k miles on it, almos all stock, I use to have O2 sensor CE codes wish i replace and code dissapear, now i have code 41 wish is TPS, I found out one cable was loose from conector does anu one can shoot me a picture of the color code on the back of the connector.
cheers..

FWIW - I bought that connector w/pigtails from wiring specialties along with a new TPS using the new Toyota part # above. The wiring setup only came with 3 wires / terminals in the connector, so I ended up making due with the old one (which has 4 wires / terminals). I am electrical - illiterate, so not sure if that 4th wire / terminal means anything but I didn't take the chance... lol. Car runs / idles back on spec now, so next step is to take another shot at smogging it prior to a sale. Thanks all for the helpful posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom