Ultimate Rust / Undercarriage Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look at how flat the front tires are. I don't think it's been anywhere in a while, or seen any TLC in quite some time.

But hey, that electrical connector looks ok!
Maybe he’s aired down from some sick trails hahaha. You’re right didn’t even look at the tires. Surprised the brake likes look okay still.

Has anyone tried an oil-based rust treatment like NH Undercoating? Claims to convert rust and bind with the underlying steel. Apply every couple years and you're good to go. I like the concept...

For people that are terrified of rust.... here’s a 2015 200-series that spent its first 3 years in the south (had zero rust when brought to IL) and now went through 2 Chicago winters. 35,000 miles on the clock. Thought this might be interesting to show you how quickly these things rust. These are pictures I personally took.

83E841B0-7926-4106-B9E2-E03AD1FDC95B.jpeg

7CA39977-D563-433B-8075-98465077F9C0.jpeg

63A5060B-1F77-4267-887E-3096539C6242.jpeg

4873DABA-9DDF-446A-A795-DC558DF3AC73.jpeg

6A28545B-EB28-40FF-AFDD-C81C094EB705.jpeg

Hello all,
I am hoping to get some feedback on the undercarriage rust for this 2006 LX 470 with 145K miles, and appears to have been an Ohio vehicle its whole life. I'm in California and everything here is stupidly overpriced so recently I've turned to looking for clean examples out of state. Honestly, being a California native I've never had to worry about rust on my vehicles so I am confident in my own ability to assess what is cosmetic / surface rust -- versus something cancerous that will grow into a serious problem. Is Ohio an auto-pass, or does this look passable?
r1.png
r2.png
r3.png
r6.png
r7.png

Has anyone tried an oil-based rust treatment like NH Undercoating? Claims to convert rust and bind with the underlying steel. Apply every couple years and you're good to go. I like the concept...

Slow reply I know, I haven’t been following this thread. I’ve been using this exact stuff the past two years since I moved to NH. Seems like it’s held rust in check so far I’ll have to report back in a decade.

I bought the truck at 135k after it had been in IL and MN it’s whole life. I was real pleased to find a rust free truck locally.

Then I moved to OR and every time it would see the dealer they’d comment on how bad and rusted out it was, cautioned me that every service would take twice as long. They tore my speed sensor boot trying to pull it from the hub and wanted to charge me for a new one. (I thought this was pretty basic - never pull a speed sensor unless you’re planning to replace it! Always unplug and unclip from above! I was pretty annoyed.) But then I started seeing all the 20-30 year old Toyotas around with showroom undercarriages. Changed my mindset.

Standards of care and maintenance shift completely when you don’t accept a 10 year/100k mile lifespan as an inevitability. What’s the point of pm if a vehicle will rust out in less than a decade? And then without pm, vehicle lives are shortened and expectations lessened. Growing up in the northeast, we knew vehicles had a short limited lifespan, never invest more than necessary to keep it running because it could go at any time.

Living out west altered my expectations and also made me paranoid of any rust. I dump a lot of money into pm now, hoping this truck will last years longer. I also will spray the piss out of it every fall with oil undercoating, something I never worried about previously.

re: NH Oil Undercoating
It definitely seems like it gets in everywhere, the truck is grimy underneath all the time. I get the clear one instead of black so I can see any developments under it but it gets so filthy that I still can’t see through it. Oil oozes out between my body panels and it’s hard to keep it clean. But so far, no new rust. I do have heavy surface rust on my sliders, etc where they don’t really spray but I figure I’ll need to touch those up anyway. In winter especially I try to stick to the back roads as much as possible. Makes for better driving anyway, and I hope less salt.

Edit: I tried to take some photos just now but there’s a ton of mud underneath from my drive yesterday and the photos don’t show anything. I can get some soon in case anyone’s interested.

Hello all,
I am hoping to get some feedback on the undercarriage rust for this 2006 LX 470 with 145K miles, and appears to have been an Ohio vehicle its whole life. I'm in California and everything here is stupidly overpriced so recently I've turned to looking for clean examples out of state. Honestly, being a California native I've never had to worry about rust on my vehicles so I am confident in my own ability to assess what is cosmetic / surface rust -- versus something cancerous that will grow into a serious problem. Is Ohio an auto-pass, or does this look passable?

Where are you in California? There are places in California where that would stop rusting and other places where it would not. How much do you think you're saving? It would have to be a lot.

@TheHighlander for Ohio i would think that is remarkable. However you should hang out in SoCal, AZ, NV, NM and the like.
Closer and probably better options. I see many 100s being exported from AZ constantly. People do their homework and get it done.

Cali, buying from the rust belt is just a recipe for a ton of bullchit later. Don't do it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback -- I think I am going to be patient and pass on this one. Will keep an eye on the forum classified so that I am not just relying on AutoTrader or CL.

@97 AZ LC I am not far from Los Angeles. Very hot and dry here. Maybe saving $2-3K versus a local example of similar year and mileage. I feel like it should be more heavily discounted, but I just inquired on that and was told the price is firm. In the grand scheme of things a few thousand in savings is not worth the hassle I think.

@blatant Thanks, you're right. I'm very set on a black LX 470 06+ that is clean inside, if you know anyone selling ping me :)

Slow reply I know, I haven’t been following this thread. I’ve been using this exact stuff the past two years since I moved to NH. Seems like it’s held rust in check so far I’ll have to report back in a decade.

I bought the truck at 135k after it had been in IL and MN it’s whole life. I was real pleased to find a rust free truck locally.

Then I moved to OR and every time it would see the dealer they’d comment on how bad and rusted out it was, cautioned me that every service would take twice as long. They tore my speed sensor boot trying to pull it from the hub and wanted to charge me for a new one. (I thought this was pretty basic - never pull a speed sensor unless you’re planning to replace it! Always unplug and unclip from above! I was pretty annoyed.) But then I started seeing all the 20-30 year old Toyotas around with showroom undercarriages. Changed my mindset.

Standards of care and maintenance shift completely when you don’t accept a 10 year/100k mile lifespan as an inevitability. What’s the point of pm if a vehicle will rust out in less than a decade? And then without pm, vehicle lives are shortened and expectations lessened. Growing up in the northeast, we knew vehicles had a short limited lifespan, never invest more than necessary to keep it running because it could go at any time.

Living out west altered my expectations and also made me paranoid of any rust. I dump a lot of money into pm now, hoping this truck will last years longer. I also will spray the piss out of it every fall with oil undercoating, something I never worried about previously.

re: NH Oil Undercoating
It definitely seems like it gets in everywhere, the truck is grimy underneath all the time. I get the clear one instead of black so I can see any developments under it but it gets so filthy that I still can’t see through it. Oil oozes out between my body panels and it’s hard to keep it clean. But so far, no new rust. I do have heavy surface rust on my sliders, etc where they don’t really spray but I figure I’ll need to touch those up anyway. In winter especially I try to stick to the back roads as much as possible. Makes for better driving anyway, and I hope less salt.

Edit: I tried to take some photos just now but there’s a ton of mud underneath from my drive yesterday and the photos don’t show anything. I can get some soon in case anyone’s interested.
Thanks for the feedback on the NH Undercoating. Do you apply it yourself and how much to do a cruiser?
J

Thanks for the feedback on the NH Undercoating. Do you apply it yourself and how much to do a cruiser?
J

No I’ve been taking in into their shop near Concord. It’s between $150 and $200. I think they gave some kind of warranty or rust guarantee if you keep up w/annual treatments but I’m not sure the details or if there’s any value in it.

I’ve bought a few spray cans from them for touch up stuff but haven’t used them enough to get a sense in coverage. It goes on pretty easy from the regular spray can and does creep a lot. I have no experience w/ Krown etc to compare products.

Got a chance at this guy for $8,700 - 04 LX470, one owner, 174k miles. Currently no service docs, but looking into that.

rHxRfew.jpg

KpW2qi3.jpg

RmRClK5.jpg

Looking pretty crusty. Body and interior are in great condition, just some steering wheel wear. What are your thoughts?

If I buy, I'd wire wheel and then reseal the rusty spots.

On another note, I found the first 8 years of service history (when it was serviced at a dealer), and found that the customer decline TB recommendation at 107,322 miles. The latest mileage recorded at the dealership was 115k, and it doesn't appear to have ever been completed at the dealer. A bit concerning, and potentially telling of the type of owner they were.

Last edited:
Here the service history while they took it to the dealer... lots of customer declined service notes:

RQKcGKm.png

Thinking about buying this 2005 LX470. Only hold up is potential rust as it lived most of its life in the northeast. What are you guys thoughts on the attached pics? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

D47E3BD7-88D3-482B-80D0-6EA92892643B.png

F97C7A4E-5CEC-4621-81E3-DCC4D6173D57.png

AEC38BB9-35D8-4DDE-A518-F9594B54246E.png

91A057E0-6ADB-4B6D-829D-829993E6F6F0.png

BF90D710-3509-4521-BDD3-64776EBF7950.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom