Ultimate Rust / Undercarriage Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Th
any thoughts on the rust on this one?

That's a patch up job. You can see what they did to hide the rust:
-new front skid
-new gas tank skid
-new muffler
-spray paint on the rust
-overspray on the running boards mounts 😂😂😂

Worst part is is that they bought a resonator for the muffler, and welded that as the muffler. What a hack job. These guys are idiots.

43680183676.562277422.IM1.15.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

43680183678.562277422.IM1.17.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

Thanks for the input. Hard for a newbie to know just exactly what "rust" really means vis a vis making a difference.

Thanks. Seller claims nothing is on the frame, which he says is the important point. I cant tell what is on the frame and what is not.

Also, there is some surface rust on the roof - you can see bubbles under the paint. Is that easily treated?

What @Kabanstva said. If you're here local, there's no reason to consider a rusty truck.

Newbie here - would also appreciate the forum's collective wisdom on a potential 2007 LX470. It's lived its life in the rust belt (MA and PA). Great service history at Lexus and 180,000 miles. Asking $17,000. Hard to find LX 470s in decent shape here in the Northeast...

Dealer sent me these pictures of the undercarriage which don't look terrible, but not great either. I plan to drive it in NY and treat it with POR 15 or fluid film as soon I can so I drive it for the next 10-15 years.

Do I pull the trigger?

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

I am a newbie too - curious to see the answer. If that is "not that bad" I am curious to see what bad looks like. No offense, just saying, optimistically.

Newbie here - would also appreciate the forum's collective wisdom on a potential 2007 LX470. It's lived its life in the rust belt (MA and PA). Great service history at Lexus and 180,000 miles. Asking $17,000. Hard to find LX 470s in decent shape here in the Northeast...

Dealer sent me these pictures of the undercarriage which don't look terrible, but not great either. I plan to drive it in NY and treat it with POR 15 or fluid film as soon I can so I drive it for the next 10-15 years.

Do I pull the trigger?

From a Pennsylvanian who now lives in Ohio, I'd buy it so long as there isn't signs of rust on the panels. I'd probably pull rear bumper too as a check. I bought with more rust underneath. Everyone else will tell you to buy a southern truck and fly down to pick it up and that's too much rust. If you don't buy it someone else surely will. All up to your personal tolerance for it.

Do I pull the trigger?
ehh looks average for the age, my 06 looks about the same.

check the pass side front sway bar bracket, how does it look? rusted through yet? its annoying repair that requires grinding and fabing a new mount. check those cat heat shields they are prob loose and rattle like crazy whn the studs rust out.

Its a good sign it still has the OEM skid and its not rusted out.

pricey for the mileage but if its clean inside, id pull the trigger and use the above to lower the price.

in May 2020 i paid 12K for an 06 LX w/ 154K clean interior with a few issues ( no reverse cam and busted rear cup holder)

Curious - is there a pricing thread where people post recent sales or purchases to help give some data to those shopping or selling?

Hi there everyone, hoping to get some opinions on this 2011 LC on the east coast. I'm in CO so it looks like a lot of rust to me, but what do I know. Thanks so much!
IMG_4029.jpg
IMG_4032.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg
IMG_4031.jpg
IMG_4028.jpg

But didn't really know enough where to look and how bad it was. A rink dink dealer that sold the truck to the person I bought it from painted the underside with some cheap rubberized coating so I couldn't tell at first what I was dealing with. The right fender turned into this. I cut it out hit it with mesh, bondo, and white rustoleum. There was a ton of road noise until I patched that up! Found this in the frame which I cleaned up as good as I could then hit it with rust bullet rustoleum then woolwax. The rest of the underbody got a wire wheel, rust bullet in places, rustoleum, and annual woolwax. In my area of the country I'm happy with this. At the time I was seeing tons of similarly rusty rigs for 10-20k, at 5k I think I did good. Have struggled occasionally with seized bolts but with a local truck that is just inevitable, traveling for one was not an option.

1026201452.jpg

0926191033.jpg

0124191136_HDR.jpg

0918191409a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom