Ultimate Rust / Undercarriage Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More images

LX470_-16.jpg

LX470_-17.jpg

GRGX, typical rustbelt truck. Looks like an LX which has already had the AHC replaced with the strutmaster kit. I bet it still has the stock thin torsion bars handles like crap. I would think it is worth 4-6k depending on miles and condition.

GRGX, typical rustbelt truck. Looks like an LX which has already had the AHC replaced with the strutmaster kit. I bet it still has the stock thin torsion bars handles like crap. I would think it is worth 4-6k depending on miles and condition.
Thats the trouble. Its in very good condition, and 100,000 miles.

Thats the trouble. Its in very good condition, and 100,000 miles.
If you want rust free, don't even bother looking in your area. I spent months looking for local rust free, than gave up and went to NV and got a completely rust free vehicle. Rust free just doesn't exist up here unless you get stupid lucky. People bought these vehicles to drive in the winter while their 911 is stored in the garage. Very difficult to find a 100 that was someone's "baby".

If you want rust free, don't even bother looking in your area. I spent months looking for local rust free, than gave up and went to NV and got a completely rust free vehicle. Rust free just doesn't exist up here unless you get stupid lucky. People bought these vehicles to drive in the winter while their 911 is stored in the garage. Very difficult to find a 100 that was someone's "baby".

I bought a gallon of T9 and woolwax but haven't sprayed yet.

Have you tried to spray fluid film/woolwax without a lift? Wondering how messy it gets

Last edited:
For all you rust snobs, here’s my contribution. 2004 GX470 with only 98k miles. Wisconsin vehicle. My brother works at a Lexus dealership and knows how much I hate rust so he likes to send me photos like this every time they get a bad one in for service. I know it’s not an LX/100 but close enough.

THIS is real rust. When someone posts a picture of some truck from up north and everybody start panicking, y’all ain’t seen nothing. Most of the trucks I’ve seen posted here are not even half this bad. The last pic is of the front skid plate removed for an oil change. Needless to say, it was not re-installed. It was previously held together with zip ties ahaha.

7112DEBB-A9E9-4242-83FB-7D82CCF67885.jpeg

A4FB614B-A3AD-4ABF-9A9F-9DEE770ED9BC.jpeg

925D560F-AD2E-4982-8DFE-E459A7B3E269.jpeg

03CA8153-F053-40C8-BA42-166F6D538A4A.jpeg

This is where Toyota/Lexus engineers failed, they build cars/trucks that doesn't leak oil, so the rust just kills the underside. You lift up my Benz, the frame is rust free, a coat of oil protects it from the elements.

Just sprayed a gallon of Woolwax. What a mess. It should stay on and do it’s job. But Wished had used a dry product like Cosmoline

Here’s another local Wisconsin 2009 GX470. My brother sent me these pics (his techs had it up on the lift) because he knows how much I hate rust.

PS I know this is a 100 Series thread but this is close enough and might be interesting to some of you.

D62F0C11-D97F-4CFA-AC84-249FC990A046.jpeg

C45BEF76-2513-4CAE-B9B3-5ED73DD38AD3.jpeg

About what my NH LX looks like underneath, even matches the clean oil filter and new muffler!
What year is your LX? I’m surprised this GX is an 09 which IMO isn’t THAT old but has rust worse than some 90s trucks that lived up here.

I recently took care of my undercarrige.

First of, Sandblasting.

Image_4 2020-05-25_10-23-04.jpeg

Then two layers of 2k Zinkprimer (with hardener). I guess one coat is enought, but i had like 5 liters so why not.

Image_1 2020-05-25_10-50-42.jpeg

Image_8 2020-05-25_10-23-04.jpeg

Then Body on frame and underside of the car body,
Image_6 2020-05-25_10-23-04.jpeg

Body is not completely moister tight aperently so i also put two layers of car lacquer on after.

unnamed.jpg

Next step is to get rid of all the body rust and repaint the car :)

Cost (In Sweden) around 1400 dollars. I did all but sandblasting myself.

You sandblasted with the body still on the frame? That's awesome.

Bought a 2000 LC in May. The car spent 7 years in CO before moving to CA for the rest of its life, which obviously made me hesitant. Over the phone, when I asked in general if there was any rust, he said nope, no rust. When I got under the car and was clearly pointing at some rust on one of the crossmembers he said it was just surface. At the time, not having owned an LC before and this guy seeming pretty trustworthy and knowledgeable, I concluded the rust situation wasn't so bad and that thing would be fine.

This weekend I get under the car, pressure wash it a bit, and take a hammer to the crossmember to see how bad that one rust spot is. Right away it gave in. On top of that a large handful of quarter-inch thick metal bits were pulled out making me wonder where these chunks were coming from given the hole could only account for one of the pieces. Photos below. Now the question I'm hoping to get answered is, where else should I be checking? From all the photos in this thread, I do believe the rust situation is generally pretty good on this rig, which made it all the more surprising to me when this one spot became a gaping hole so fast.

IMG_6698.jpg
IMG_6700.jpg

@Kabanstva I got some rust pron for you. This truck lived it's entire life in Madison WI (That's not my truck btw)
20200711_181805.jpg
20200711_181811.jpg
20200711_181827.jpg
20200711_181831.jpg
20200711_181935.jpg

@Kabanstva I got some rust pron for you. This truck lived it's entire life in Madison WI (That's not my truck btw)
Man that has to be one of the worst undercarriages ive seen posted here of a 100. It’s amazing these trucks are still driveable in this condition.

Look at how flat the front tires are. I don't think it's been anywhere in a while, or seen any TLC in quite some time.

But hey, that electrical connector looks ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom