Uh oh..1973 fj55 coming.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It definitely sounds like a cool story! And it looks like they are still coming around - they were online Saturday.
My Dad never played with cool trucks or cars, and so far my boy doesn't show much interest in automotive pursuits either. I guess sometimes things skip a generation...

Maybe when he gets a little closer to driving age, or maybe a little after. Lando hasn’t had any interest in helping me out with the project, but likes older trucks/cars in general.

Maybe when he gets a little closer to driving age, or maybe a little after. Lando hasn’t had any interest in helping me out with the project, but likes older trucks/cars in general.
Yeah both my kids appreciate old cars/trucks but haven’t latched into helping in the shop too much, but every once in awhile there is a glimmer of hope!

It definitely sounds like a cool story! And it looks like they are still coming around - they were online Saturday.
My Dad never played with cool trucks or cars, and so far my boy doesn't show much interest in automotive pursuits either. I guess sometimes things skip a generation...
My son's a little older now and the Land Cruisers are probably our most common bond. Back in the day I already had an 80 and 100. To my surprise one day he mentioned he liked the FJ40's and FJ60's. About twelve years later we now have 5 Land Cruisers. This weekend we finally had some nice weather, he took the 72 FJ40, I was out in the 76 FJ40. We're always swapping stories and pictures of our adventures. My daughter also gets involved. I'm sure your son will come around, it is family fun.

Ok..update time... I went up north to tow the vehicle back under the assumption that it really just needed some mechanical love. Unfortunately upon actual close inspection I realized the truck was a complete disaster. It had sat Ungaraged in the forest with rain and snow for close to 40 years.

It was very depressing. There were about 30 areas I could literally put my fingers through due to the rust. Every quarter panel, the cowl, top of the windshield, you name it. Even the seats were not immune as the floorboard had basically rusted through so the seats when a longer really secured to the floor. I suspect my dad really had no idea as his dementia was probably affecting him quite a bit longer than anybody realized.

In the end I decided the body would need far too much work and was a complete loss. It was very depressing as I wanted to keep it as original as possible.
I was able to Source a nearly rust-free body from an abandoned frame-off restoration project in Vegas. Not cheaply I might add. But then again if you're going to do it correctly, nothing is cheap.

That body has been completely gone through and at this point is primered and almost ready for actual paint. The plan is to use that body on the original frame and drivetrain. I've recently made a payment going towards a laundry list of parts including new power steering, disk brakes, old man emu lift, all new seals for the engine transmission and transfer case, as well as hoses belts fluids seals and gaskets, as well as weather stripping. And mosler EFI. Like I said...doing it right ain't cheap..

I'm still seriously bummed I could not use the original body. But I knew it would have taken at least an extra year of body work and maybe 25 Grand in paint and labor, as I do not take shortcuts on this type of project.

225948.jpeg

225949.jpeg

225973.jpeg

0606200920a_HDR.jpg

0606200920_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Gerry, blast from the past. Sorry about your dad. As soon as I saw your username pop up I instantly pictured you walking down the West Fork San Jacinto River to retrieve your cooler floating away from your drowned yellow fj40. lol.

Good luck with your project. Lots of work in front of you.

Hey Gerry, blast from the past. Sorry about your dad. As soon as I saw your username pop up I instantly pictured you walking down the West Fork San Jacinto River to retrieve your cooler floating away from your drowned yellow fj40. lol.

Good luck with your project. Lots of work in front of you.
Mike? Sorry if ive got that incorrect. I have that photo of My fj drowning in that River with my lunch floating away on my mantle!

I’d love to have the discards from this project. It’s my color and it’s way way better than what I currently have. Keep me in mind.

Edit: I thought you were in Texas. Likely out of my reach in AZ.

sorry just revisting this thread and saw your question. I'm not sure if the body i got is from the same year.

So as of now, as i can't find the title and my dad had not registered the truck in 25 years, the MVD can't locate any ownership. I am in the process of posting a bond to enable me to gain actual ownership. so an agent of the mvd is coming to check the VINS.

Other progress... well, it's minor. Avid found me an OEM Air conditioner, which is huge. and i decided on swap to a 4spd transmission which he will reseal. so I'm out another $4k in parts, but the truck hasn't changed much. mostly waiting to gain official ownership of the '55 before starting the body swap and paint.

still debating on paint color. I want the OEM scheme, but i've never been crazy about the colors. thinking of a pearl forest green over pearl white.

as an aside. Looks like im going to have an extra hood, cowl, and front quarter panel in pretty good shape, plus a 3 speed transmission. Other extra parts may come up if my original parts are good enough to swap to my high quality body i purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom