Uh oh..1973 fj55 coming.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys.. the only thing that's been in my family longer than my 75 fj40, which my father gave me for my 16th birthday 30 years ago, is his 73 fj55 which he got when I was about seven or eight. He very recently passed away and my stepmom wanted me to have it as it was his absolute favorite vehicle. I think it actually runs and drives but we'll definitely need a thorough going through. All fluids, hoses, brakes, belts Etc. The rear end of the body is also kind of rough as both quarter panels have met the business end of a tree at some point. Not sure if they are salvageable. What is the best remedy for rear quarter panels? This is in Phoenix Arizona. I'll already have Avid Offroad on speed dial for the mechanical work, as they did extensive work on my fj40 which I've had for about 30 years now.

Any pics?

Not as of yet. It's in Pinetop Arizona about 4 hours from me. I need to go up with my F250 to tow it back down as I don't trust it for the drive yet.

IMG_20191230_152510_504.jpg

Steel on the FJ55 is relatively thick and the shapes are relatively straightforward. The best way to attack damaged rear quarter panels is 1. straighten existing metal 2. weld in rear quarters off a donor truck 3. fabricate rear quarters out of flat sheet 4. A combination of All the above.

Without seeing your new rig, I'm betting #4 will be your best bet.

Thanks for resurrecting this @PabloCruise . This is another Phoenix owner we haven’t heard from in awhile.

It definitely sounds like a cool story! And it looks like they are still coming around - they were online Saturday.
My Dad never played with cool trucks or cars, and so far my boy doesn't show much interest in automotive pursuits either. I guess sometimes things skip a generation...

Guys.. the only thing that's been in my family longer than my 75 fj40, which my father gave me for my 16th birthday 30 years ago, is his 73 fj55 which he got when I was about seven or eight. He very recently passed away and my stepmom wanted me to have it as it was his absolute favorite vehicle. I think it actually runs and drives but we'll definitely need a thorough going through. All fluids, hoses, brakes, belts Etc. The rear end of the body is also kind of rough as both quarter panels have met the business end of a tree at some point. Not sure if they are salvageable. What is the best remedy for rear quarter panels? This is in Phoenix Arizona. I'll already have Avid Offroad on speed dial for the mechanical work, as they did extensive work on my fj40 which I've had for about 30 years now.

@peiserg - any updates on your Dad's Pig project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom