U.S. Forest Service proposes recreation fee changes on Uwharrie National Forest (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
National Forests in North Carolina
SM.FS.NCnfs@usda.gov
Media Contact: Tim Buskirk, 308-360-3059​

U.S. Forest Service proposes recreation fee changes on Uwharrie National Forest​

ASHEVILLE, NC, June 23, 2023 — The U.S. Forest Service is proposing to change recreation fees at two sites on the Uwharrie National Forest and the public is invited to provide input to proposed fee changes for 60 days beginning on June 23rd, 2023 and ending on August 22nd, 2023. The goal of these changes is to improve visitor experiences through site upgrades paid for by the collected fees.

These fee changes are only proposed. After public comment is received, the Forest will assess the comments and concerns and then present the fee proposals to the Southern Region Recreation Resource Advisory Committee (RRAC) at a future date.

"The Uwharrie National Forest provides a variety of recreational opportunities for visitors and we are continually working on ways to enhance the visitor experience. Collections from recreation fees are reinvested at the field level and used to address maintenance needs. The new proposed recreation fees will help us provide additional recreation opportunities and support our goal to provide safe, well-maintained and sustainable recreation opportunities for the public to enjoy.”

The proposed fee changes the Forest Service seeks comment on are:
Campgrounds
  • Yates Place Camp – new $50 group site fee per night with a group size of 50 people
Trails
  • Wood Run Mountain Bike Trail System – new $5/rider per day fee or new $30 annual pass*
*These fees would only apply to mountain bike use

Additionally, the following fee proposals went through the required public participation process in 2019 and are awaiting review by the Southern Region Recreation Resource Advisory Committee:
  • Badin Lake OHV Trail System – increase from $5 to $15/trail vehicle per day, and increase from $30 to $60 for the optional annual pass**
  • Yates Place Camp - new $10 per night fee for single sites
**As proposed, this fee would be phased-in over a two-year period

In 2004, Congress passed the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA) which allows the Forest Service to retain funds collected at certain recreation sites and used these funds locally to operate, maintain, and improve these sites. The resource derived through collection of fees helps provide quality recreation opportunities that meet the modern expectations of visitors and creates a more financially sustainable developed recreation program for the benefit of future generations.

Under REA, all new fees and any fee changes must be proposed to and approved by a citizen’s advisory committee. Committee members represent a broad array of recreation interest groups to help ensure that the Forest Service is proposing reasonable and publicly acceptable new fees and fee changes.

The public is invited to comment on the proposed fee changes by August 22nd, 2023. For more information visit our webpage at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/nfsnc/recfeeproposals. To provide comments about this fee proposal for the RRAC to consider, please comment online at online at our Recreation Fee Proposal Mapping Tool or contact Logan Free at 828-257-4256, by email at SM.FS.NFsNCfees@usda.gov, or by mail at:

ATTN: Recreation Fee Proposals
160A Zillicoa Street
Asheville, NC 28801​

I am not familiar with all the variables, so hard to make a judgment, but doesn’t surprise me with the explosion in outdoor land use the last couple years. If it keeps things open and well-maintained, and it’s not just some government bureaucracy cash grab, I am for it.

They needed to do something about Yates Place. It was turning into a homeless camp with freeloaders just living out there. I know I wouldn't camp there. Hopefully the new rates will allow them to clean it up and keep out the riff raff. Mountain bike trails don't affect me personally, but I can see some potential snags. The MTB trails are very far away from everything else. Is anybody going to really enforce the MTB passes? The closest spot to the MTB trails to buy a pass (that I am aware of) is the gas station at the corner of River Rd and 24/27. The last two times I went in there to buy a trail pass, they did not have any. The next closest place would be the Outpost, and I just don't see a MTB person driving all the way to the Outpost to get a pass and then drive all the way back to the MTB trails, which are half way to Troy. As for the OHV trails...it will hurt to pay the new prices. I'll pay them though and do my best to support to keep the trails from closing altogether. Looks like the year pass is doubling in price while the day passes will be tripling. Ouch! Looking forward to fewer people on the trails in the future. I guess we'll see what happens...

Whats going to happen?

I think you already know.

More taxes and fees and nothing changes. We've seen this before. Over and over. Yet we never fight back.

Guess we deserve it.

Another solution in search of a problem

I was waiting for this. The commercial "professional" climbing guides want everyone to be certified so they can start making money on buisnesses that have been operating in the red since they opened. Guess who's going to be doing the certifying?

They raised the trail passes in Tellico the year before they closed it.
Just sayin'....

They raised the trail passes in Tellico the year before they closed it.
Just sayin'....
same with the Hatteras seashore 'permits'

It used to be free (well we all paid a small amount via taxes) then went to an absurd amount......along with less and less area to drive on each year.

They know we just fall in line and take it.....so why not raise fees and limit access? No one fights back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom